What's new

Muhle R41 Grande- first shave

I've been shaving for just over a month, and have been given/lent/borrowed sever razors from my dad. He initially got this razor because of all the interest here, but has become more of a SE guy. So I decided to give it a try today. I have used one open comb previously, with good results, the Gillette Old Type with a ball end. I figured the R41 would just be sort of like that.

Man, was I wrong.

I loaded the R41 with an Astra blade (thats the blade I'm most familiar with), and lathered up some Tabac soap (which I love, both the scent and texture of lather). I did my standard 3-pass shave (WTG, XTG, ATG). The first thing I noticed was 'this sounds like a SE.' The audio feedback was *much* louder than any DE razor I have ever used by a considerable amount. I noticed it was pretty aggressive too; a lot of the blade come in contact with your face with this open comb design. The Old Type I used before wasn't that aggressive till you started going ATG. With the R41, I could immediately feel the aggressiveness. XTG wasn't too intense, but ATG was extremely intense. I experienced a lot of drag, especially where I have thicker hair: my chin and chinstrap mainly.

In the end, it was one of the best shaves I have ever gotten, even better than the one use of a SE I have tried (this probably due to inexperience). I have hoestly never gotten such a good shave. My entire face was BBS, no missed spots, and my neck was also BBS with a few slightly rougher patches. Surprisingly, I didn't get any razor burn, and only one weeper on my first pass. I could be the next convert to this fine razor, and the newest member of the BOTOC!

Haha thanks. I picked up DE shaving somewhat faster than most because my dad was able to teach me. He isn't a huge fan of the double edge.

Other thoughts I had... I think I would like the smaller handle better (the non-grande one... as far as I could tell, the only difference was size of handle). But since it was a gift, its really not too big a deal.

Haha thanks. I picked up DE shaving somewhat faster than most because my dad was able to teach me. He isn't a huge fan of the double edge.

Other thoughts I had... I think I would like the smaller handle better (the non-grande one... as far as I could tell, the only difference was size of handle). But since it was a gift, its really not too big a deal.

Go to Greg's site and get one of his stainless handles. I find the R41 head really sings on a short heavier handle

He has a few "blems" for $35: http://ikonrazors.com/shopping/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=39&products_id=136

Or you can get a first line for $49: http://ikonrazors.com/shopping/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26&products_id=109

This is what my R41 looks like on one of his handles (it shaves nicer than it looks too)

proxy.php

I agree the handle is great and drastically improves the shave with the R41. My advice though would be to only get it once/if you're sure that you'll stick with the R41.

I don't like sticking with any one razor... half the fun for me is trying different ones out. Eventually, I may pick that handle up though. I see a lot of guys raving about it. If people rave about a handle, it must be good...

Top Bottom