What's new

Gawith & Hoggarth Balkan Mixture

I was visiting one of my retailers a month or so ago and picked up a 50g tin of Gawith & Hoggarth Balkan Mixture. Normally, I'll sample a tobacco before buying a tin of it, but this guy assured me that I'd like it. Well, I cracked the tin and was taken aback by the strong tin note and decided to wait to try it, as I didn't want to smoke up a rental car, lol.

So, this morning I was trying to decide what tobacco to use in my first pipe of the day and went with Balkan Mixture. Glad I did too, because it is quite possibly one of the coolest smokes I've had to date. While the tin note was of heavy Latakia and very very smokey smelling, the actual smoke was very balanced. It opened with some Latakia (it's not a Latakia bomb though) in the first part of the bowl, then the virginias peeked through offering some sweetness to the smoke.

I smoked it in one of my large bowled pipes and loading was easy as it's a long ribbon cut, almost a shag I'd say. The light was very easy and smoked all the way to the bottom of the bowl leaving a very nice white ash in the bowl with virtually no dottle.

The room note was not that different than many good cigars that I've enjoyed, so those who love cigars, might find this a suitable tobacco to try. I'm absolutely impressed with this offering from Gawith & Hoggarth and would recommend any pipe smoker to try it.

Both G&W and their sister company Samuel Gawith make excellent pipe tobaccos. I lean more to the SG myself but have both in my collection.

You were lucky to find it as their blends can be quite difficult to find over there as they sell out as soon as they come in, Sam's more than the G&H.

Enjoy, Gareth

My very first Balkan was Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend, which is part of what prompted me to try this one. I like BBBB quite a bit and had a bowl last night, but it is sooooo very different than than G&H Balkan Mixture. I'm guessing it's due to the BM having more Latakia, whatever the reason...I'm glad they're different because I really like both.

Top Bottom