What's new

Is Southern Comfort a Whiskey, Bourbon or a Liquor?

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I’ve had to ask myself this question with a couple of friends (and we did have a very ‘spirited’ debate indeed), but we could neverget it ‘down pat’.

Now, I do know what Wiki would say, “Southern Comfort is an American liquor made from neutral spirits withfruit, spice and whiskey flavourings” and I haven’t seenit talked much on this sub-forum?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Comfort

http://www.southerncomfort.com/history.aspx

That said, I find it's OK for sipping & mixing (and you might be tempted to 'skin me alive' for saying so), but others might say it's a 'sissy' drink, but what do you think...any comments?
proxy.php

proxy.php
"[Having a drink]… is a [great] way of ending the day". Ernest Hemingway

Considering Southern Comfort's own site links to their Wiki page, I'd say it's pretty clear it's a liquor made from a neutral spirit base.

I always thought it was something girls drank mixed with coke. Which always ends as a purgative.

Personally I think it's a horrible thing I wouldn't clean my bilge with.

I always felt it was more of a liquer, way too sweet for me. Any time I've made the mistake of having some, I'm rewarded with horrible heartburn.

That's a good question. I'm not a fan of SOCO but I know women drink it (including my Mom LOL!). It's not quite a Liquor but not quite a full blooded Bourbon. Maybe a hybrid of the two I guess. Just throwing spitballs here....

A "neutral spirit" is pure grain alcohol with a very high ethanol content, usually (95% or higher)...making SoCo basically Moonshine with added flavor.

Apparently Southern Comfort now has a component of bourbon, where at one time the spirit was solely grain neutral spirit ("undiluted-vodka"). I found Cowdery talking about it, and he's more trustworthy than a wiki.

Roger

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Apparently Southern Comfort now has a component of bourbon, where at one time the spirit was solely grain neutral spirit ("undiluted-vodka"). I found Cowdery talking about it, and he's more trustworthy than a wiki.

Roger
Thanx for Cowdery's cool & interesting link. Now we all can be just a lttle more ‘spirited’ and educated. :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"[Having a drink]… is a [great] way of ending the day". Ernest Hemingway

It's an alcoholic beverage made from distilled alcohol, flavored with fruits, spices, and herbs, and sweetened, almost to a syrup consistency. That is the very definition of "liqueur". At least here in the states the term "cordial" would also apply. It may contain some amount of actual bourbon but most of the alcohol comes from neutral grain spirit (aka vodka).

Depending on exactly how much (if any) actual bourbon ends up in the mix it could conceivably be called either a blended whiskey or a spirit whiskey. But since the defining characteristics of SOCO are, for better or worse, the syrupy sweetness and the added flavorings I think "liqueur" is the only appropriate term.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I only remember reading the side of the Southern Comfort bottle whilst a Freshman at the University of Tennessee Knoxville and observing a recipe for a drink called a "Cool Tool".... never tried the stuff myself. Maker's Mark was the drink of choice for young Gents on campus.

I have never drank it but a few of my friends did back in the day. Mostly with their girlfriends. The closest description I could make out from their exploits was "headache in a bottle". Scared me.

Cheers, Todd

SWMBO's uncle makes a decent Manhattan with SoCo, its the only way I can stand to have the stuff on my palate. A glowing endorsement if I've ever heard one! :laugh:

Top Bottom