Thread: A boar, a badger and a synthetic walk into a bar...

Default A boar, a badger and a synthetic walk into a bar...

So maybe the title got your attention!

I just bought a Semogue OC 2 band badger, a Semogue 2000 (boar), and a Muhle synthetic Silvertip. I originally was only going to purchase the SOC - seemed like a good gateway 2 band brush and had really good reviews. At one point someone suggested a SOC boar and since I love my 1305 I decided to think about a new boar as well. In the end I decided on the 2000 because reviewers seemed to suggest that the 2000 was better for bowl lathering which I do 99% of the time. Lastly, the Muhle synthetic was something I've wanted to try out of pure curiosity. In opted for the smallest size knowing that if I like it I can always purchase a larger brush and sell the 21mm sized knot on BST.

Any thoughts, comments, opinions on these? I'm still waiting to purchase another "high-end" brush...I have my eye on a Polo 8, but decided to try some more modestly priced brushes this time around.
    David

No thoughts on which you prefer out of the 3?
    David

A boar, a badger, and a synthetic brush walk into a bar and order a beer.
    The bartender gives a beer to the badger and the synthetic, but tells the boar "we don't serve boar brushes here".
    The boar leaves, soaks himself in hot water and rubs himself on a towel then goes back to the bar and orders a beer.

The bartender says "Aren't you the boar brush that was in here earlier?"

The boar says "No, I'm a frayed knot".

I like badger brushes, and I like to use the Omega boars on occasion, but I just have not been sold on the synthetics yet.
    Several folks here have been saying good things about the Muhle and the H.I.S. synthetics.
    I understand they are making progress on them, and some swear by some of the newer more expensive models, but so far - for my money I'll stick with "natural fibers".
    Last edited by luvmysuper; 06-15-2012 at 10:31 PM.
    Phil
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ha!

GET A HORSE!

pun intended.
    -Ray
    Some may never live, but the crazy never die. -HST
    BOTOC Power!

[top]A boar, a badger and a synthetic walk into a bar...

and the place is full of other boars, badgers,and synths. So the boar goes up to the bartender and asks "hay (pun intended) where are all the fillys. We were lookin' for a little tail."

Have you forgotten our equine friends?
    --Jim--

Quote Originally Posted by pipskicks View Post
    No thoughts on which you prefer out of the 3?
    I ordered them today but I think my favorite will be the SOC.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmysuper View Post
    The bartender gives a beer to the badger and the synthetic, but tells the boar "we don't serve boar brushes here".
    The boar leaves, soaks himself in hot water and rubs himself on a towel then goes back to the bar and orders a beer.

Quote Originally Posted by xraygun View Post
    GET A HORSE!

pun intended.
    I have been intrigued by horse hair brushes but have yet to pull the trigger. More to the point I don't know if I want to use "Trigger."
    Last edited by daverasi; 06-15-2012 at 10:44 PM.
    David

Trigger doesn't have to die to make your brush. He just gets a haircut. Some of my best brushes are Horse and I have a stupid amount of brushes.
    I spent 90 min. today on a conference call consulting with a skin care company wanting to start a shaving line and told them to start with a Horse.
    You are missing out
    -Ray
    Some may never live, but the crazy never die. -HST
    BOTOC Power!

I like badger brushes, and I like to use the Omega boars on occasion, but I just have not been sold on the synthetics yet.
    Several folks here have been saying good things about the Muhle and the H.I.S. synthetics.
    I understand they are making progress on them, and some swear by some of the newer more expensive models, but so far - for my money I'll stick with "natural fibers".
    Phil, I was the same way on synthetics until this latest generation came along. Forget the old white nylon and early Body Shop synthetics. My H.I.S. is a soft as any badger, including my Silvertips and has the backbone of a horse, border-lining on boar in that regard. My Muhle 35K series, is almost indistinguishable from badger, until you start backing off on amount of product you use. Come on in Phil, the water is not fine, it is luxurious! As far as expense, the H.I.S. is $33 with shipping in the U.S.
    The goal is for each person to find what serves them best in the art of shaving.

If you want to try a horse, bullgoose just came out with a butterscotch beehive natural color horse brush limited edition made by Vie-long. Mine just arrived and in the few minutes I got to see it, it's a beauty. It's been gift wrapped for Father's day so I have to wait to try it out. I like horse a lot and it makes a nice addition to the boars and badgers. I wouldn't want to have to limit myself to just one type.
    Kent - 2014 Restraint and 3017

Quote Originally Posted by xraygun View Post
    Trigger doesn't have to die to make your brush. He just gets a haircut.
    Neither did the pig. He died to make my bacon. The brush was just a side benefit.
    Still taking nourishment and breathing.

Images

A boar, a badger, and synthetic walk into a bar. They are the only ones in the place, and they all order plenty of hot water and some Tabac.

Soon the boar hears a voice. "Nice knot".

Then the badger hears "Yo, great loft."

And the synthetic hears "Man, no shedding for you, sweet!"

They ask the bartender about the voices, and he says, "Oh, it's the peanuts, they're complimentary."

"He must be a king. He hasn't got Williams all over 'im!" - cb91710
    I spend my knights at the Veg Table.

Quote Originally Posted by Topgumby View Post
    A boar, a badger, and synthetic walk into a bar. They are the only ones in the place, and they all order plenty of hot water and some Tabac.

Soon the boar hears a voice. "Nice knot".

Then the badger hears "Yo, great loft."

And the synthetic hears "Man, no shedding for you, sweet!"

They ask the bartender about the voices, and he says, "Oh, it's the peanuts, they're complimentary."

Excellent!
    The goal is for each person to find what serves them best in the art of shaving.

Horse hair brush walks into a bar, barkeep says, "hey why the long face?".......snare, cymbal splash...
    BOTOC, Arkolyte, TOFLAC-U, Muhle R41 (2010)- Merkur Progress, Merkur 37 Slant, Simpsons Wee Scot lover,Omega Pro boar, Arko & Gada face latherer.
    SUPPORT B&B BUCK A SALE.

A bartender walks into a badger den, where he is greeted by three identical triplet badgers. They look the same, they walk the same, whatever one does, the others do the exact same thing.

They each pull out a box of wooden sticks topped with phosphorous, rub them against the side of the box, create a fire, and hold them aloft in order to illuminate the badger den.

The bartender says "Oh, Look! Its a Matched Sett."
    Last edited by dpm802; 06-16-2012 at 03:28 PM.
    DIY Signature Kit. Some Assembly Required.
    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz123456790

Quote Originally Posted by dpm802 View Post
    A bartender walks into a badger den, where he is greeted by three identical triplet badgers. They look the same, they walk the same, whatever one does, the others do the exact same thing.

They each pull out a box of wooden sticks topped with phosphorous, rub them against the side of the box, create a fire, and hold them aloft in order to illuminate the badger den.

The bartender says "Oh, Look! Its a Matched Sett."
    <groan> <painful chuckle> <sigh>

A boar, a badger, and synthetic walk into my den. They are the only ones in the place, and they all order plenty of warm water and some MWF"....there's a blur of lather, split hair tips and blooming, before you know it there some brand new baby brushes.
    Bob:

A great shave in the morning is the start of a great day!

Quote Originally Posted by redrako View Post
    A boar, a badger, and synthetic walk into my den. They are the only ones in the place, and they all order plenty of warm water and some MWF"....there's a blur of lather, split hair tips and blooming, before you know it there some brand new baby brushes.
    It is amazing how that happens!