What's new

Your Dad: Fondest Memories

Not to be depressing, but:

My Dad wasn't around much when I was a kid. He made sure my family had a roof over our heads and food on our table, but he wasn't really there to provide me with much help or advice about life and growing into adulthood. He was more of a financial provider than a father. I really wish he would have been more of a father, because I needed one. As I've gotten older, my relationship with him has improved and I've gotten to know him more than I did when I was a child. He's more of a friend than a Dad, though. It's unfortunate.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I hope that you guys who are fathers will remember to make time for your children and to help them grow up. It can be pretty hard out there.

Sorry if that was depressing or presumptuous.

Dad worked for a road construction company while I was growing up. He made sure we had all the Tonka construction equipment toys. The area we grew up in we were the third house in the sub division so there were piles of dirt where the other houses were being built, so we had plenty of places to play road crew. Best part is when Dad brought home equipment to store for a day or two and we got to play like we were road crew guys.
During the winter when Dad was laid off he would work at a small airport helping out as a mechanic for WWII bombers that the owner was converting to crop dusting planes and fire fighting planes. I loved it when Dad showed me how to trip the bomb bay doors and I tripped them open on my older brother.
I would get up at the same time as Dad every morning. We would listen to the news and weather on the radio, this is before we had cable, he would drink coffee and I would drink hot chocolate even in the summer. Sleeping in was getting up at 6am, we still make fun of the rest of the family when they complain about not getting to sleep in on a Sat. when we say we will be there at 9am.
We live a mile apart and talk everyday. I was over at the house today when he told me he was glad I still hang around while my other siblings only call or come by when they need something. Then we loaded up our fishing gear and went and waxed some fish.

My father was my beginning and end. To this day, despite being dead for over ten years, his insight plays a tremendous part in my life. It's not, "What Would Jesus Do?", it's, "What Would Dad Do?"

Truthfully, although I grew up in a two parent household, mom was there, but she wasn't "mom". She was very much in the background, and for the first many years of my life, I wasn't even sure I had one. To this day, unfortunately, the same sentiment is there.

Father was dad, financial provider, chef, adviser, intellectual and moral support. He lived for me and I lived for him. A harsh critic and teacher at times, dad was always there to teach me right from wrong. Genuinely a wonderful person inside and out as any friend or acquaintance of his can attest to. Every thing I do somehow links back to him.

Deceased - May 13, 2001.

I love you, dad.

Top Bottom