What's new

Help me pick a new Semogue. 620 or 830?

I'm trying to figure out which Semogue boar brush to get next. Either the 620 or the 830. Does anyone have experience with these two and which would you recommend? I know I could just get both but Im only looking to get one at the moment. I currently have a SOC and the 1800. Im looking to see which one would be the most different from these two brushes. Thanks guys.

I had the 830 for awhile, it's a great brush, once broken in, its wonderfully soft. The loft is a bit high for me though.

830 has the same loft height as the 1800 with a smaller handle. 620 is basically the smallest brush they make.

I don't own both, but I find the 830 to be a great every day brush. I face lather exclusively with soaps and creams.

I own both and use them regularly. My vote goes to the 620. It is a fantastic brush, especially for face lathering. As noted in the prior post, it has a short loft with great backbone. IMHO the most different from the SOC and the 1800 that you already have.

I have both. I just got the 830 and am breaking it in now. The performance of the 830 has been great so far, but I think I'd prefer the 620. The 620 has a short loft, dense knot that gets really soft tips as it breaks in. I can't imagine a better brush for face lathering. It does ok for the occasional bowl lather too.

I was leaning towards the 830 only because I like a softer boar brush but because I mostly face lather it looks like i should pick up a 620.

I have a 620 that I'm still breaking in. I love it! It's a very solid feeling brush and the quality is great for the money spent. I don't have an 830, so I can't compare the two but I can tell you the 620 is a fine brush and well worth the money.

I'm very much a newbie here, and think the 620 would be scrubbbier since it has shorter loft (good for face lathering), but the 830 would hold more lather because of the longer/higher loft (also good for face lathering)? I just got a 1438, I picked it because it was short, and the painted handle added a vintage look to me. It is not broken in yet, and my face lathering technique still needs fine tuning, but am wondering if a little more loft would hold more lather for that 3rd or 4th pass? I love the short handle but have trouble keeping a hold of it, I will be getting another brush in the future with more loft, and a bit more handle to compare. Then eventually start to check out the badgers. My wife hates this new obsession...:wink2:

I'm very much a newbie here, and think the 620 would be scrubbbier since it has shorter loft (good for face lathering), but the 830 would hold more lather because of the longer/higher loft (also good for face lathering)? I just got a 1438, I picked it because it was short, and the painted handle added a vintage look to me. It is not broken in yet, and my face lathering technique still needs fine tuning, but am wondering if a little more loft would hold more lather for that 3rd or 4th pass? I love the short handle but have trouble keeping a hold of it, I will be getting another brush in the future with more loft, and a bit more handle to compare. Then eventually start to check out the badgers. My wife hates this new obsession...:wink2:

It's true that a higher loft holds more soap and water, but for me it doesn't matter. If I need to, I just load a little more soap on whenever I feel like it. The whole business about a brush needing to hold enough product to go for 4 passes without re-loading mystifies me. Why? The puck is right there, it ain't goin' nowhere! Having said that, the 620 does hold enough for at least 3 passes anyway. You do need to soak it for a bit before loading though.

Top Bottom