What's new

Any Opinel lovers?

I just got an Opinel No. 7 (carbone). In my oppinion, one of the best, and most iconic folding knives you can get. I use it strickly for gardening at home, as carrying it in Denmark will result in a hefty fine (and, until recently, 7 days in jail).

About five years I bought this little 2-pack of Opinel's CARBON paring knives. The price at the time was about $20 shipped.

they are actually a bit under $20 yet today:

http://www.discountcutlery.net/en-us/dept_21435.html

I have the same set. Terrific knives. Use them every day. Also have a couple of the carbon steel folders which are also gret knives (though they don't see the pocket time my Spydercos do)

After visiting Opinel's site, I see they actually have chef's knives! Anyone ever own one? Thoughts?

Unfortunately, they only have them in stainless. Bring them back in carbon and I'd own them in a heartbeat.

Ken

I just got an Opinel No. 7 (carbone). In my oppinion, one of the best, and most iconic folding knives you can get. I use it strickly for gardening at home, as carrying it in Denmark will result in a hefty fine (and, until recently, 7 days in jail).

I can't express how wrong it is that the iconic home of legendary Vikings has outlawed pocket knives.... It's just SO WRONG!

Ken

Been kinda poking around at picking up a new pocket knife when I saw this thread. Just ordered a No6. Thanks for the heads-up guys.

Did you guys go with carbon or stainless?

I really wish Opinel woul offer the "fancy" woods (walnut, ebony etc) in carbon, but I've only seen stainless.

Ken

Legion

Staff member
And me, although if you are keeping it in your pocket in Australia (or equivalent temp) in summer while you are working, they can rust up on you with sweat and whatnot. Just something to be aware of. The edge should be safe in the handle, but the outside spine part of the blade on mine looks a bit worse for wear. Oh well, cheap to replace if you ever need to.

Nice! Good choice, guys! I love their carbon steel!

And me, although if you are keeping it in your pocket in Australia (or equivalent temp) in summer while you are working, they can rust up on you with sweat and whatnot. Just something to be aware of. The edge should be safe in the handle, but the outside spine part of the blade on mine looks a bit worse for wear. Oh well, cheap to replace if you ever need to.

Have you tried Tuff Cloth? Pretty solid for anti corrosion. (Tuff Kote is the same stuff in a bottle to get to the pivot area) I've developed a patina on all mine and that's enough for around here.

Ken

Legion

Staff member
Nice! Good choice, guys! I love their carbon steel!

Have you tried Tuff Cloth? Pretty solid for anti corrosion. (Tuff Kote is the same stuff in a bottle to get to the pivot area) I've developed a patina on all mine and that's enough for around here.

Ken

Being a product mainly marketed for gun protection, it would probably be hard to find here. But a good idea.

Received my No.6 and No.8 today in the mail. Overall very nice knives. The blades are very tight. The surprising thing to me is how light the knives are. The No. 6 seems to be the right EDC size, although the No. 8 I think would work as it is not that large.

Tom

I honestly had never heard of Opinel knives until this thread... Rather different in usage and design, but my Benchmades may have a buddy soon.

I prefer the custom :

proxy.php

Top Bottom