What's new

Why does my face hurt?

When I first started wet shaving with a DE razor, I bought a pack of Merkur blades because I heard they were a good starting point for beginners. I was using the AoS sandalwood kit, by the way.

I found the experience similar to trying to scrape the hair off my face with a clam shell (which I have not actually tried, but that's how it felt). I could actually feel the blade demolishing each hair like a bulldozer. I have a pretty tough beard, and Merkur didn't really act anything like a blade when pitted against it. Major irritation combined with that one-pass look and feel.

Seeking revenge, I turned to Feather blades and loved the result. Clean shaves for almost a week per blade with little to no irritation, multiple passes daily with no problems. This was about a year ago.

Then, a few weeks ago, I started having trouble with irritation (and perhaps dryness?) in a big way. I had not recently changed my soap, AS, technique or anything of the sort. Changing out for a new blade doesn't seem to help, and neither does prolonging use of the same blade. I seem to get irritation even if I only take one pass. I have started adding variables, trying to make things come out better, but to no avail. Here is my original setup and what has changed:

Originally:

Proraso pre-shave
Tabac soap
AoS Sandalwood AS balm

Then:

AoS pre-shave oil (Sandalwood)
Tabac
AoS Sandalwood AS balm

----

Proraso
AoS kelp shave cream
Witch Hazel
AoS Sandalwood AS balm

----

Proraso
Tabac
Witch Hazel
GFT Skin Food (Sandalwood)

This most recent combo has given me the most favorable result, with irritation disappearing within about 60-90 minutes, but that's still not great. Each day I shaved with a feather blade. Should I try a different kind of blade?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm kind of at a loss.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read!

-Zamonium

Change one variable at a time. Start with the blade, and see if that helps. If it does not, then change the cream/soap, etc.

One at a time is key. I started out ignoring that advice, and did not get good results until I followed it.

Try something without sandalwood.
Some people are sensitive to it, and it is possible to develop a sensitivity to products over time.
Personally, I can't use glycerine/melt-and-pour type soaps.... the effect after 3 or 4 shaves is like a sunburn.

But I see that even though you changed brands, one common item is the sandalwood essential oils.

Change one variable at a time. Start with the blade, and see if that helps. If it does not, then change the cream/soap, etc.

One at a time is key. I started out ignoring that advice, and did not get good results until I followed it.

+2. Don't jump around and narrow the areas of concern.

I would add that sometimes you need to re-set your technique. I get over-confident, and then start cutting myself.

Proraso
Tabac
Witch Hazel
GFT Skin Food (Sandalwood)

Stop using the Skin Food. This can cause serious irritation for some, me included. Swap it out for your original after shave balm. Tabac can also be a drying and irritating soap. If switching balms doesn't help then try some Proraso For Sensitive Skin white tub (white tea) cream/soap. They also have a pre-shave for sensitive skin in the white tub too.

But between your current kit and this new one take a few days off shaving first.

Thanks all for the excellent advice. I will take a few days asap to reset my face as Daryl suggested, and switch over. I'll let you know how that goes.

Try something without sandalwood.
Some people are sensitive to it, and it is possible to develop a sensitivity to products over time.
Personally, I can't use glycerine/melt-and-pour type soaps.... the effect after 3 or 4 shaves is like a sunburn.

But I see that even though you changed brands, one common item is the sandalwood essential oils.

Yup....Sandalwood makes my face feel like it is on fire.

So you've been DE shaving for about a year, and you just started getting irritation in the last few weeks? I doubt you've spontaneously developed an allergy to all your products.

Is it possible you've got something funky going on in your brush? I know you're going to get a lot of different recommendations on irritating ingredients and stuff, but if you've been using the same brush for the last few weeks, that could be a factor as well.

So you've been DE shaving for about a year, and you just started getting irritation in the last few weeks? I doubt you've spontaneously developed an allergy to all your products.
It's possible. A lot of things can be a non-issue for months or years, but over repeated exposure, one can develop a sensitivity.

That's why I suggested eliminating the Sandalwood since that particular essential oil is the one thing he has not changed.

I did start using Tabac a couple of weeks before the irritation began. It might well be a latent reaction to that. I had considered it in the back of my mind, but was trying not to entertain the possibility because I love the smell so much!!! :crying:

I actually received a sample of Jagger's Sea Buckthorn cream with my skin food, so I thought I would try it out this morning. Tah dah! No irritation at all. I just recently ordered a few more soaps/creams (I had never had a rotation before), and I think that may be the fresh start I need. Who knows, maybe Tabac will still be nice to use on occasion...
:a24:

Oh, and I REALLY like the scent of the Sea Buckthorn. Very fruity and bright. My wife liked it so much she's actually *making* me buy a tub of it. Yes, I married well!

Top Bottom