What's new

My First Turned Brush!! Opinions wanted! [PICS]

Hey All,

After a couple weeks of acquiring some new tools and techniques for making brushes to go with my lathe, I'm pleased to share with you my first output that I'm happy with. I turned about three other pieces playing with the tools and learning some of the texturing on the various woods, but this is the first I'd consider actually glueing a knot in.

22 mm Finest short loft in place (not glued yet) in the pics. The wood is not yet stained or finished - just sanded.

I'd appreciate some thoughts and critiques here if you have them.

Thanks all! What great fun it is turning and working these pieces!

Rob

$b1.jpg$b2.jpg

If you don't mind me asking, how did you turn the hash marks in the top and bottom third of the brush? Are those hand carved?

Very nice turning. What are the dimensions? Handle length? Loft? How do you plan on finishing the handle?

Thanks Joe!

knot is 22mm / 50mm loft - wanted to make my first a stubby :)

Handle is 56mm tall with a 32 mm base

To be honest I haven't even started thinking about finishes yet :) Likely either a Tung oil to keep it looking a little more rustic and waterproof it, or a CA coating.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you turn the hash marks in the top and bottom third of the brush? Are those hand carved?

Nope don't mind at all. Those marks were done using a tool that I bought that I used today for the first time. It's a lathe tool called a "decorating elf". I plan on doing some amazing things with this tool - what you see is what I was able to accomplish after working with the tool for less than 30 minutes. I literally spun a few patterns on a practice piece of ash wood and then moved on to this.

Check out the patterns I was able to get on the practice piece - actual knurling! Never thought I'd be able to turn stuff like that. My next project is to make some replacement handles for some razors I have. going to go for some neat knurling effects like these.

$practice.jpg

The knurling is fantastic. I appreciate the information. I have made several brushes I have finished with CA glue, followed by waxing on the Beall Buff. I have very good results like this, however, I have 2 handles, one of Osage Orange and one of spalted Maple burl currently curing from a Tung oil finish. They are each 2 weeks in to what anticipate to be a 5 week drying process. I'll hit those with the Beall Buff as well when the Tung oil dries...if it ever does :)

Very nice - I also really like the knurling. Is the dark line towards the top burned in, or just a groove?

First or 10th...that is an excellent job! You sir, have a talent. Please show the finished product! Enjoy your new hobby

Very nice - I also really like the knurling. Is the dark line towards the top burned in, or just a groove?

Thanks all! The dark line is actually a deep very narrow groove - using a fine point tool. Actually think I should have either left that out or added some others near the bottom. In retrospect i think it looks a little isolated there.

/Rob

Looked at the Decoration Elf on-line. Very nice tool. Something definitely worth adding to the tool cart for the lathe!

Had to come back and look again! :thumbup1: Ace quit your day job slap on a vendor tag i,ll be your first customer!!

Had to come back and look again! :thumbup1: Ace quit your day job slap on a vendor tag i,ll be your first customer!!

LOL - awesome! Thanks for the encouragement Triad! I do hope to turn some for sale - more or less for fun, but also as an excuse to keep at it. It is a nice distraction from my day job!

If I spit some ones I out I deem worth you will get first dibs !

Top Bottom