What's new

Shoes for restaruant work?

+1 on Tred-Safe at Wally World - US$28 and good for 6 months of hard-wearing while you save your tips for something other folk have recommended.

Tred-Safe worked OK for me, but Shoes for Crews are better. Consider the steel toed ones, I've seen foot injuries from dropped equipment like heavy cutting boards. And learn to use the short step when on slick surfaces. Take short steps and keep your feet directly under you. The management where yu work might have an apparel to purchase from.

I sure wish Wolverines were still made in the USA. They were the best, long lasting foot ware for such work.

Not to kick an old thread too hard but need advice.

I ended up getting Dr. Scholls work ones, non slip (although far from actually having decent traction!)... not too expensive at about $30 on sale... Trouble is, my feet are killing me towards the end of my shift.. And now I am working 2 jobs, one of which is cooking... Thus on average 9 hrs on my feet...

The restaurant is sneakers okay. The kitchen is shorts and flip flops okay :) (not saying flip flops and hot oil mix!)

I can't decide if its worth getting better insoles or just getting a better shoe (Im a cheap bast*rd but I hate to be a miserable one!)

+1 on DMs
I have a pair of dress Doc's (no yellow stitching) that I have had for 30 YEARS of pounding hospital hallways that are still looking and feeling great. I saw an identical pair in store last month and was very tempted to buy them, but the pair I have show no signs of quitting just yet.

You're going to get sore feet, no matter what you wear. It's just a question of getting the right kind of sore. When I worked in kitchens I wore clogs. Wooden-soled, leather ones for up to 12 hours a day, 6 and 7 days a wekk. Yeah, my feet were very sore, but they were sore evenly, without blisters and after a day's rest they were almost back to normal. No ankle or knee pain either. I kept this up for about a year until I was so tired I just told them I wasn't doing it anymore. If you go for the soft option, it can seem better for you, but you might be damaging your feet unless you get something well designed. Walking shoes would be good if expensive, but clogs are better, even though it doesn't feel like it at times. Can you post a link or picture of the shoes you bought. I recommend Troentorps, but Scholl have a good reputation.

I find a rotation to work well... I wear my Crocs a couple of days then my Sanitas for a couple. I used to have to pairs of Sanitas that I switched back and forth. It let them dry out and cork and leather would get back to wear it should be. If I know I'm pulling a long shift- IE 12-16 hours I wear two pairs of heavily padded socks and switch clogs in the middle of the day.

Black new balance or black air nikes.

I'm on my feet all day at work and I have a pair of american-assembled New Balances..I threw in some dr. scholls Work gels and they're heavenly.

And they probably won't cost more than $40-50.

They're still sore after doing 10-12 hours a day 5 days a week..but it's not unbearable. I also got a WAHL percussive massager that I use on my feet when I get home..it instantly removes half of the pain and speeds up recovery extremely fast.

You're going to get sore feet, no matter what you wear. It's just a question of getting the right kind of sore. When I worked in kitchens I wore clogs. Wooden-soled, leather ones for up to 12 hours a day, 6 and 7 days a wekk. Yeah, my feet were very sore, but they were sore evenly, without blisters and after a day's rest they were almost back to normal. No ankle or knee pain either. I kept this up for about a year until I was so tired I just told them I wasn't doing it anymore. If you go for the soft option, it can seem better for you, but you might be damaging your feet unless you get something well designed. Walking shoes would be good if expensive, but clogs are better, even though it doesn't feel like it at times. Can you post a link or picture of the shoes you bought. I recommend Troentorps, but Scholl have a good reputation.

Ever thought you were so tired because you were wearing friggin wooden clogs? :lol:

Ha!
All of the chefs I worked with wore clogs. And they were always white.
Here's a link to a US site.

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/73401.asp

and a pic

proxy.php

These do take some getting used to and I'm sure these are not the exact model I was wearing all those years ago. Check the yellow pages for chef's supplies and get on down there. It is a very different ethos of footwear from what almost everyone knows, but I'd give them a try. They're very good value. Handmade in Sweden.

Im no soreness expert, so you tell me if these are the right kind of sore: My feet ache all over but especially in the heel and mid foot back. The next day my legs are sore..

Top Bottom