What's new

Variety vs Tried and Proven

How would you characterize your pipe collection?

• My collection is not large enough to detect a trend.

• All of my pipes are the same.

• Most of my pipes are similar, but there are some odd ones.

• No two pipes in my collection resemble each other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I was looking at a box of pipes at the local antique mall the other day. There was a metal pipe with a dozen interchangeable wooden bowls and maybe a dozen Dr. Grabow Grand Dukes. Some of them were useable, but most weren't anything I would want to touch, let alone put in my mouth and puff. I am guessing they were from the estate of an old gent who had multiples of the exact same pipe for a number of years.

This got me to thinking about my own collection. I'm not so OCD as to have all of my pipes identical, but about 3/4 of mine are assorted bent billiard briar pipes and most of those with a rustic finish. The others are one off types that I got out of curiousity or just because the price was right.

How would you characterize your pipe collection?

1. I have fewer than 3 pipes. Not much of a collection to note trends in, is it?
  2. I am that guy with a dozen identical pipes from the same manufacturer, or at least all of them are similar. Why would I get a different pipe when I know what I like?
  3. Most of my pipes are a variation on one or maybe two themes, but there are a few odd ones.
  4. No two pipes in my collection resemble each other in any way. Why would I want another pipe like one I already have?

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I voted not large enough for trends. I have a straight billiard and straight apple. My next is going to be a Nording semi-bent freehand (come on pay day)

I had to vote #4, but it is not entirely correct. I have a few Pokers, Rhodesians and OomPauls, which are similar, yet different. There are only so many shapes out there, (a few of which I'm not too fond of, (the horn comes to mind)), so when ones collection gets large enough similar pipes tend to be added. Unless of course one decides to buy just strange artisan pipes. So I guess I'm mostly #4, kinda.

I am 3- 4 guy. I like different shapes/ finishes , but I have a few repeat shapes. I like Zulu's, but my collection is varried.

Rusticated pipes and a preference for Custombilts, Tom Howard and similar pipes from that era.

proxy.php

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Picked #3 but was considering #4. Hard to pin it down. Most of my pipes are some variation of a bent briar, but there is still a large variety, to include several straight billiards. Short jaw hangers, bent and straight semi-churchwardens, churchwardens, MM cobs and a few meerschaums.

I have a decent amount of bulldogs/rhodesians but I also have a bunch of other pipes that are completely different and diverse. So, #3/#4 for me as well.

It's number 1 for me, although, I do seem to prefer smoking bent stem rusticated pipes. I like the texture on rusticated bowls more than smooth. Also, more squat bowls like tomatoes, Rhodesians and Bulldogs I like over my Poker and Pot types. To each his/her own. YMMV.

My collection has some variety to it, but I'm a sucker for a Bulldog or Rhodesian.

It's funny how a lot of us gravitate towards one shape or another. I don't understand all of the fuss with the poker shape. I love the one poker that I have, but more because it's a good quality Tinsky than because of the shape.

Last edited:
Currently a one-pipe man, but have been meaning to pick up a second. SWMBO isn't a fan of my puffing, so I'm waiting for the right (least-wrong) opportunity.

Leaning towards something poker-ish I think...

I have accumulated a number of pipes over the years. I am partial to Stanwells for some reason and those tend to be my go to daily smokers. Rusticated, mainly bent dublins and bulldogs. My favorite shape is the Stanwell 191 I think. I have a couple of those in their Golden Danish finish.

Top Bottom