What's new

What is your best money saving tip?

Eat at a soup kitchen regularly and live in rent controlled subsidized housing (or with the folks if able). That'll shave tons off your living expenses each month!

I suspect you are looking for some practical TTPs ( Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures) to save money. Still new at this but a few simple ones I have seen are: Pinaud-pretty cheap and a big line so you can satisfy the desire for experimentation without the price of the expensive English brands...same for the barbershop-type products like Proraso; Either dip your razor in alcohol to promote drying or remove the blade...I do the former; Try making your own per shave...don't use tea tree oil like I did. A little made me look like a mustard gas victim from WW I. Lastly, I am trying to remember the long game. At $20 a pack, cartridges have cost me hundreds over the years. DE will save over the long run...at least that is what I keep telling my wife!:closedeye

I started wet shaving again with a DE early this year. I did it to save money on the horribly expensive cartridges. Well, it appears I was being a bit naive:blush: . The AD's are starting to build up and I want new razors, old razors, blades, brushes, soaps...yipes:w00t:.
So, to keep myself out of bankruptcy court, I am looking for tips on how to save money while enjoying the hobby and feeding my ADs carefully.
I'll start. The best tip I've seen so far here on B&B is to buy the soap refills and mill them into your own container the first time. If you like it a lot, want to make that soap a part of your regular rotation, and the manufacturer's bowl appeals to your aesthetic sense, then buy the fancy bowl. This saves half the money on the ones that don't make the cut.

What is your best idea?

Find the cheapest blade you can get a good shave with and stock up on them.
Found that I quite like the Crystal Platinum Chromes..$12 for 100. :p

Eat at a soup kitchen regularly and live in rent controlled subsidized housing (or with the folks if able). That'll shave tons off your living expenses each month!

I got curious one day and looked up a rent-controlled apartment complex nearby..looks good but apparently full of druggies and the like.
The funny thing was..for the first time in my life I actually make TOO much to rent there!

Just buy the stuff that works for you and keep experimentation to a minimum of 1 product at a time, until it's finished or sold (if it doesn't work well).
Finish a product before you get another one.
Don't buy any more hardware except blades, but only when you need them.

Tip 1: Do not let shaving become a hobby - keep it a daily task that you do.
Tip 2: Read Badger and Blade for enjoyment and knowledge building, but don't let it control your buying decisions. When the buying urge strikes, go back to Tip 1.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Grow a full beard.

Short of that - don't try Castle Forbes creams, Kent brushes or anything else that is expensive. No samplers! Don't even finish reading about expensive stuff. Read about Walden Pond.

I will reply to this as I have found that there are some products that are more economical, (verses comical replies:tongue_sm).

If you are just getting started- dont go cheap on your brush, get a 20-22 mm knot and buy the best one you can possibly afford- getting a "finest" grade simpsons is a good place to start.

Get a hard milled soap- They can last for up to 8 months. Per shave its the best cost/performance ratio. AOS / T&H / Tabac

Saint Charles Shave aftershave splash- best cost/performance ratio. Or make your own with high proof Vodka.

Buy a vintage Tech razor on the BST.

Good luck.

I went totally bonkers for a while... I bought $$$ worth of DEs. I have about 40 and like all but about five of them. Then someone mentioned stocking up on blades... so... I have a billion blades... then soaps... then frags... But like was said, your ADs taper after a while.

Then... I found straights...

I'll have a den reduction sale one day... but it won't be too soon. I pulled out a Futur and a Vision the other day and, even though I don't use them, I still covet them. It is a sickness but don't feel guilty. Embrace your weakness and let it make you stronger. Buy more.

Get just one 1970s Superspeed if you want to go DE and shave a lot cheaper than carts. I have learned from my "mistakes" now that I have more razors than I can use up in four or five lifetimes.:001_rolle

Top Bottom