What's new

How do I clean and restore an old safety razor?

My mother has just given me my grandfather's old razor. It is an old Gillette that opens butterfly style with a spin of a knob at the bottom of the handle.

It has quite a bit of grime and some corrosion on it. What are some recommended ways to clean this up and make it useable? Or should I just leave it alone to it's own demise?

Umm.. Sorry no "before" pictures. I just didn't think about it.
But some "after" pictures I can do. I just have to charge up the camera. And then figure out how to post them.

Wish I could get to the second link. The forum won't let me. Thanks

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...he-Open-Comb?p=4166413&highlight=#post4166413

all,
Just received a very soiled Gillette New bar handle. Thanks to the suggestions here I cleaned it up and wanted to show before and afta pictures.
By the way, first shave with it yesterday and, man oh man, it was a great little shaver (after cleaning) loaded with red Personna.

BEFORE:
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

...as you can see, the gold plate was GONE in a lot of areas. Therefore I modified my restoration, because I was not concerned with perfect preservation of gold plating. If you have a gold plated razor, I was advised to avoid metal polish. Alo advised to be careful with scrubbing bubbles, as that can also be destructive to thin gold plating.

Steps in order:
1. Soak in dishwashing liquid and hot water 20 min, scrub with soft toothbrush.
2. Repeat #1.
3. Soak in Scrubbing bubbles 10 min, scrub with soft toothbrush.
4. Repeat #3
5. Disinfect- soak 1 hour in 91% isoprpoyl alcohol. Rinse and dry.
6. Disinfect again- soak in Barbicide (thanks Sally's!) 1 hour. Rinse and dry.
7. Because the dirt was still there, I broke out Maas polish. Tried with newspaper but that didn't seem to work too well, so I scrubbed the Maas in with fingers and more toothbrush.

AFTA:
attachment.php
attachment.php

I was pleased with the result since this was an experiment. The gold was gone on the cap before I started, so again I was not concerned about destroying the finish. Also because this will be a user, not a museum piece.

Cheers!
Mike from Detroit Shave your beard, not your face.

We're looking forward to your "after" pictures. To post photos, just put them on your computer and then click on the little picture icon above this text input. It is very easy.

Top Bottom