What's new

Muhle Synthetic Silvertip Fibre -- Continuous Review/Test

corey - rather enjoying your reviews! The Muehle 23mm STF is my favorite brush, and I look forward to your continued impressions of the 21mm. Nice job!

Test 3

Today the Muhle faced The Shave Den Aqua Velva soap. For those who are unfamiliar, TSD makes glycerine soaps. They don't get a lot of love, but I really loved my shave this morning. The Muhle was soaked during the shower (as always) then after 15-20 seconds worth of loading and it was time to face lather.

It's really becoming routine. It doesn't matter what I'm using, the Muhle is producing a huge amount of creamy lather. I keep noticing different things about the Muhle. This shave, I noticed how easy is to use. When I wanted more play, I pressed a bit harder and got more splay. The lather spreads quickly and efficiently with no effort. And it does dry fast. When I return from work in the evening, my brush is dry, and haven't noticed any funky smells yet -- nor do I expect to.

A quick note on the soap: I think the TSD AV is a great under the radar soap. I have only used the AV ice blue and musk and it smells different than both -- more spicy, but very pleasant. But the soap also has a nice menthol kick which is just tremendous to wake up to in the morning.

+++

Next day (which is actually today -- I'm editing/combining this post for sake of clarity), I shaved with a restored Mohawk brush that has a TGN boar knot. The soap remained the same -- The Shave Den Aqua Velva. Wow, what a difference between the two experiences. The Muhle just kicked the boar's behind (to the extent that a brush can have a behind). I did not get great lather today, despite using the same technique and the feel of the brush (lightly used) was nowhere near the feel of the Muhle. I find the weightier Muhle handle more comfortable too. In fairness, I've never really figured out boars. But overall, the Muhle DOMINATED in this test.

A bit OT, but I really enjoy the Aqua Velva soap, even though I don't recognize the scent. Nicely spicy.

Last edited:

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I think I ordered the last of the clear-handled HIS brushes from Amazon.

The turn on these is so quick, I cannot imagine the manufacturer wasting any time restocking.

Corey, it sounds like you like the brush, good I am glad.

I think you mentioned somewhere about a little too much splay, and that you soak the brush while you shower? If you want a little more backbone try not soaking it while you shower. I have always soaked my badgers while I shower, but since the Muhle is essentially made of plastic, it doesn't behave or act like natural hair (we all know this but I think what I am trying to say is that it doen't benefit from an extended soak because it doesnt really need to "season" like a natural hair brush). What I have found works for me is to only soak it for maybe ten seconds as I am opening my soap and splashing my face one more time before the shave.

I don't know, just something to try, you might like it better. (Before I tried synthetics, the idea of soaking anything for less than ten minutes was blasphemy.) ((After synthetics, I find that I also prefer my boar brushes with only a 5 to 10 second soak... " the things we learn about ourselves."))

My jack black synthetic is a great brush, VERY soft tips, but it does feel more "springy" than a badger hair, and sometimes that's a weird feeling. Anything like that with the Muhle?

Corey, it sounds like you like the brush, good I am glad.

I think you mentioned somewhere about a little too much splay, and that you soak the brush while you shower? If you want a little more backbone try not soaking it while you shower. I have always soaked my badgers while I shower, but since the Muhle is essentially made of plastic, it doesn't behave or act like natural hair (we all know this but I think what I am trying to say is that it doen't benefit from an extended soak because it doesnt really need to "season" like a natural hair brush). What I have found works for me is to only soak it for maybe ten seconds as I am opening my soap and splashing my face one more time before the shave.

I don't know, just something to try, you might like it better. (Before I tried synthetics, the idea of soaking anything for less than ten minutes was blasphemy.) ((After synthetics, I find that I also prefer my boar brushes with only a 5 to 10 second soak... " the things we learn about ourselves."))

I'll try less soaking. My general routine is to soak while I shower and I shave more or less immediately thereafter. So the soak time is 10-15 minutes.

Was going to post today that the splay bothers me a bit. It's about the only thing I dislike about the brush. Today it attacked a glycerine soap (TSD Violet -- think it will be PIF'd soon because I like the Aqua Vela scent better) and I got a nice thick lather with zero effort. A final point -- the brush feels very natural in my hand. It seems a bit heavier than most brushes, but in a nice way.

¢orey;4225150 said:
I'll try less soaking. My general routine is to soak while I shower and I shave more or less immediately thereafter. So the soak time is 10-15 minutes.

Was going to post today that the splay bothers me a bit. It's about the only thing I dislike about the brush. Today it attacked a glycerine soap (TSD Violet -- think it will be PIF'd soon because I like the Aqua Vela scent better) and I got a nice thick lather with zero effort. A final point -- the brush feels very natural in my hand. It seems a bit heavier than most brushes, but in a nice way.
For the most part, I simply run my synths under water just long enough to wet them (and heat them if I'm using hot water). Then I still give them a squeeze or three good pumps to remove excess water.

Top Bottom