What's new

What vintage Gillette will shave like my Fatip?

After shaving this morning with my Fatip, I'm almost ready to get rid of all my other razors in my shaving den...not really. This question is to all of you who currently own the Fatip or have used one:

What vintage Gillette do you guys think is most comparable to the Fatip? I like the aggressiveness and smoothness of the shave.

I already own a Senator/Sheraton & an open comb Aristocrat. I'm asking more about a 3 piece razor.

Gillette razors are not known for their aggressiveness.

Maybe an early Old type might be about the most aggressive you are going to get in a Gillette.

proxy.php

I think the Old Type is more aggressive than the Fatip, and the Fatip more so than the Long Comb New. Funny though, I decided to spend the next couple weeks flipping between the Long Comb and Fatip, noting the differences.

Unfortunately, none of the vintage Gillette open-comb three piece razors can even compare to the FaTip/Joris.
i would say the closest you can come is the 1934 Aristocrat or the British #15, or any other variants of these Aristocrats. The FaTip/Joris are much more effective (aggressive) shavers, in my opinion. Good luck.

$wm_normal_001.jpg

I have yet to use a Fatip, but I will tell you this is by far the most aggressive razor that I have ever encountered. In fact this razor will find, and exploit any little imperfection on your skin. If you prefer a "Mild" shaver, this razor will definately not work for you.

NEW Deluxe models are aggressive without jumping into harshness like an old-type or single-ring that's no wielded correctly.
A Criterion NEW Deluxe or a Big Boy NEW Deluxe are probably some of Gillette's most aggressive models.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Most aggressive non-adjustable vintage Gilette I have is an Old Type Big Fellow - but a wide open Fatboy would feel close to a Fattip - I've tried & use all three

I shaved with my Fatip ten minutes ago. It is the first time I have used it in maybe six months, and I made a bit of a mess out of my face. I have been using my 40's Aristocrat and my fat handled Tech, so that gives you an idea of the jump I took.

The Fatip is very aggressive. I find the single ring Old Types to be a bit less aggressive and the long comb New also a bit less aggressive (but more than the Old Type). The New is the closest you will get to the Fatip IMHO.

Ok, I'm confused. Maybe I was shipped some sort of runt-of-the-litter Fatip, but I don't feel it's nearly as aggressive as described above.
Mine seems to clear the whiskers quickly, but very smoothly. In use, it feels a lot like a Long Comb New, but it clears stubble faster. It has failed to draw blood thus far.
In contrast, I've found I really need to watch what I'm doing with my (1920's) Old Type. Further, my (admittedly limited) experience with a Gillette Super Adjustable left me with a lot of respect for the machine. I found the #6 setting to be "saucy." Opened full-throttle I imagine it would be significantly more aggressive than a Fatip.
YMMV obviously.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Seems perhaps some of us, starting with me, assumed that the aggressive Fat Tip was the comparitor. The Fatips I've tried (3 I think,) were of different years and different exposures. I was assuming by the original post he was looking for the more aggressive razor .. but then 6 on a Fatboy is mild by the "most" Fatip ..

There were a couple iterations of the Fatips ...

Top Bottom