What's new

Astra super platinum > Derby?

In my experience Astra SPs give a much smoother, more comfortable shave than Derbys (I fully understand that the battle cry of B&B is "YMMV!"). I only have about 5 packs of Astra SPs in my dresser, but I'm good for blades for a couple years right now.

Interesting to note, however, that when Geofatboy trys out a new razor on YouTube, he always uses whatever complimentary blade accompanies the razor. Often it's a Derby, and he's never complained about the blade.

I use Derby's and Astra's both...back and forth rotation.....with a Feather tossed in on occasions. I like the Derbys and Astra's both....bought my first 100 packs of both brands.

Derby's are obviously soo good, NOONE will take me up on a free 4 pack w me paying the $.42 cents to mail...lol

Hell, I'd take you up on that if I didn't already have 5 packs waiting to be used. I'm starting to think these work better for me than ASPs, but we'll have to compare with equal amounts of hair growth and soakage time. Why not send em to a newbie in the newbies forum? Either that or save them to try again after a few months.

In my experience, Astras give a much smoother and closer shave than Derbys. I have had some pretty great shaves with Derbys, so I'm not among the haters, but Astras are my go-to blade.

I have never used Astras but definitely considering buying some as my supply of Derby is starting to run low.

Can anyone tell me which kind of Astra people prefer?

Last edited:
I have never used Astras but definitely considering buying some as my supply of Derby is starting to run low.

Can anyone tell me which kind of Astra people prefer?

Astra "Superior Platinum", or SP, are the ones most people go for - they're the ones I like.

Derby's are obviously soo good, NOONE will take me up on a free 4 pack w me paying the $.42 cents to mail...lol

In my n00biest days, I quite enjoyed the Derbys. I use Astras exclusively now, but would be more than happy to re-visit the Derbys now that my technique has improved. I'll even Paypal you the 42 cents. :001_tt2:

Astras are Russian made and I personal found all Russian blades to be externally sharp as well as smooth . The great thing about Astras is they don't cost much.

If you go back and look at the older Post around 2006 to about 2008 or 09 and you will see that Derby was the blade recommended for most newbies and considered maybe the standard for its consistency in performance and comfort.

If you go back and look at the older Post around 2006 to about 2008 or 09 and you will see that Derby was the blade recommended for most newbies and considered maybe the standard for its consistency in performance and comfort.
Those were simpler times, we didn't know any better. We try to forget, but it seems like just yesterday..... So many men, good men, we lost so many good men back there. It's not our fault! We thought we knew, but we were wrong, we were wrong, how could we have known..... So much blood, for what! We were wrong.

Good men, so many.......

I tried an ASTRA SP this evening - had a pack of 5 lying around.

Decent shave. More audible feedback than Derby.
Guess I could get used to and be quite satisfied with it but it didn`t make me go wow!

Top Bottom