What's new

Astra super platinum > Derby?

I thought Derbys were fine in my DE89. Just fine, not great. In my 37C I love the Astras. Just received 200 yesterday from bestshave.net

After trying quite a few different kinds of blades, I settled on Astra SP as my blade of choice. Before that, Derbys were my favorite, and I've been through about 150 Derbys. IMO Derbys are sharper than most, but not quite as sharp and not quite as smooth as Astras. Also, I found that I get a bad Derby once in a while, maybe 1 bad blade to 40 good ones. If you have Derbys to use up, I suggest you use them in a mild razor such as a Tech.

As with everything shaving-related... YMMV.

I personally despise both Astra and Derby, but plenty of people love them. If you have the desire and money, keep trying blades. It's amusing and you never know whether the next will give you a better shave or not.

I tried Derby's and hated them. Astra SP is one of my top 5 blades, I like them so much I have 500 in stock! Saying all that, I tested a Racer last shave in my R41 and boy did I get one of the closest shaves ever. BSS all the way with no stubble for nearly 24 hours! These blades are cheap in bulk too. I like them a lot!

Last edited:
I have tried both Derby blades and Astra blades and I keep going back to the Astra. They provide the best shave I have ever had. I am not saying they are the best, because I have not tried every blade out there, but they are the best of the ones I have tried.

I must be the weirdo here. I tried some Astras in a sampler and neither my wife nor I liked them at all (two different blades in two different razors - Weber and SuperSpeed). Maybe I got a bad pack.

As the voice of reason I will state that most of you are wrong, Derby is a much better blade :lol:. I love Derby's and Astra SP's tug my skin and the shaves are passable but not comfortable. Enjoy your shave, YMMV!

Not a personal fan of Derby blades. I'd say they're ok, but not horrible. I've been working through a box of yellow Gillette 7 o'clocks (which I like) for the past couple of years, and I'm starting to run low, so I just ordered a box of 100 Astras for about $10. I've used them before but it's been a while, so I don't completely remember my impressions. We'll see soon if they are keepers or they end up on the BST forum and I go back to the more expensive Gillettes. About $30 for a couple years of blades ain't bad in perspective.

For cheap blades I seem to remember that I liked Crystals too.

Derby blades were the reason that I questioned my sanity regarding DE shaving. My second blade was a Shark, and these reaffirmed to me that DE makes sense. I've since switched to Astra's and Personna's as my every day blade. Astra's offer me a very good, very efficient shave. Derby's offer me blood letting. I'd rather shave with a rabid dog. YMMV, of course.

If I had started with a Derby blade at the outset, I would have probably quit this endeavor. The combination of bad technique and a Derby blade was a disaster. Bad technique with an Astra was a more pleasant experience.

Derby's are obviously soo good, NOONE will take me up on a free 4 pack w me paying the $.42 cents to mail...lol

Top Bottom