What's new

new addiction... lanterns!

In the UK we get two types of Kerosene. Class C1 is sometimes called Paraffin or Power Kerosene and used for lanterns, wick heaters and some combustion engines. C2 is heavier and used for domestic heating oil. C1 class is a lot more expensive than C2 class.

Burning C1 in a vapourising lantern (Tilley type) gives a bright white light. C2 Kerosene is slightly more yellow and not as bright, and the lantern is a bit harder to light.

C2 will not burn properly in a wick lantern.

As far as Tilleys go, about 30p (about 50 cents) worth of C2 will burn for 8 hours or more so by far the most economical lantern fuel.

Last edited:
I am going to blame all your influence on this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330770398955?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Although don't feel to bad about it

Sears Roebuck double mantle propane lantern
Coleman 200a
Coleman 228E
Coleman 228F
Coleman 5155B propane double mantle lantern (modern)
My Dad's 220, I was borrowing

I have another modern Coleman lantern not in the photo. This photo is from a couple years ago when I was setting up for a bonfire and party.

Phil

Attachments

• $1028001311a.jpg
    $1028001311a.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 67
This new lantern showed up today. It needs cleaning, we'll see if it needs a tear down if I can't light it tomorrow. If it needs tear down I'll take pictures.

I tease. I have been addicted to fire and lanterns for a long time. I have a Petromax clone on the way from an ebay seller with 0's nothing, nada, just registered a few days ago. Ooh boy! (wish me luck)

Phil

My dad worked on the railroad when he was young and he has a few (about 3 or 4) old railway lanterns.
I should ask him about them sometime.

My dad worked on the railroad when he was young and he has a few (about 3 or 4) old railway lanterns.
I should ask him about them sometime.

Some of the signal lamps are pretty cool looking. It will be interesting to see what there is.

Phil

I love old lamps although I have yet to collect any. I fondly remember using an old oil lamp of my grandfather's when I was a child and being fascinated by its operation.

Thanks to this thread I have my eye on an old Nier Feuerhand lamp for use in my study at home though that I may pull the trigger on today. Will post pics later.

Enablers! :biggrin1:

I have a Petromax clone on the way from an ebay seller with 0's nothing, nada, just registered a few days ago. Ooh boy! (wish me luck)

Phil

Out of stock? ***?! it is an ebay listing, why would you list without having stock! Ah well, monies refunded I guess all is as it was in the world.

I also have another unknown Coleman lantern on the way.

Phil

Out of stock? ***?! it is an ebay listing, why would you list without having stock! Ah well, monies refunded I guess all is as it was in the world.

I also have another unknown Coleman lantern on the way.

Phil

damn some times it really is a gamble on ebay, really nice pics there pkrankow im going camping tonight and going to take the tilley.

keep the pics coming guys

and to the poster who mentioned the feurehand there really nice hurricane lamps

It would seem I scored a basket case for my second lantern. Poor photographs and low price led to a gamble which provide a rusty bottom, and a ventilator that is really two pieces! Good glass and a lots of solid older parts make it not a total loss.

Phil

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I have a Coleman sports . . . great light, always works but makes noises that threaten death . . . I guess it iys time to dust it off and enjoy

Interesting bit. I scored a couple founts to replace the rusted out one and .... frankenlantern is coming... you know newer series of Coleman lanterns have an offset pickup in the middle of the top, while the older ones were centered? I didn't but am quite sure of it now.

I cleaned the AGM lantern frame, it was full of mud daubers, but it still will not light so I am going to do a full tear down with (some) pictures. I think the pickup is full of varnish so it will take some serious soaking to get it clean. I just need to determine if the parts are different enough that I can soak all of my new acquisitions in the same jar or not.

Phil

We have a small 17' hybrid trailer, 2 small kids and a dog. We (I) wanted a dual-fuel Coleman lantern, kerosene, propate etc, but my wife didn't want the hassle of fuel and it heating it and smelling etc with kids in the trailer (makes sense I guess.)

I ended up with a Rayovac Sportman 240 lumen from one of the kids for Father's Day (hints came in handy) and am blown away with how bright and sturdy this thing is. We have 2 battery operated Coleman lanterns (4 D's) that don't even come close to the build or light that this thing can throw. Even on low it is much brighter then the Coleman's and throws nice even light due to the difuser type (if that's what you call it) plex-glass with the ribbed texture inside.

3 modes (Hi, Lo, Strobe) and a solid rubber base and takes 3-D batteries. It says it will last 40hrs on high (240 lumens) and 90hrs on low (100 lumens) but I'm not worried even if I get 1/4 of that run time, as it only sees an hour or 2 a night camping. It has a standard carry handle that folds down and a hook on the underside that flips out and if you remove the glass portion (1 simple turn) it hangs nice as a hanging lantern.

The little dot in the middle is the flashing "find me" light. It blinks periodically so you can find it in the dark.

Overall, I am very impressed with it and we haven't even taken it camping yet, as it came after our last week long outing :glare:. I've just been playing with it around the house, but am really looking forward to putting it to the real test.

I know it's probably considered the Mach 3 by many of the Lantern Nuts, but I can live with that :001_cool:

proxy.php

Attachments

• $RayovacXtreme.jpg
    $RayovacXtreme.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I have two battery-powered lanterns I bought at an Aldi grocery store a couple of years ago. Three levels of LED light and a small night-light. Each runs off a 6volt rechargeable. I, regrettably, let the batteries run down. I found I could get replacements for about $12. They worked great when camping this year!
Now I'm going to hook each up to a trickle charge during the winter.
Having said that, I think I'm going to buy a dual fuel Coleman for emergencies.

Petromax lanterns are great. I have a modern version. They burn just about any type of fuel. I stick with oil based fuels (diesel, kerosene, citronella oil, etc). Gasoline is possible, but dangerous.

They are 4 times brighter than a Colman lantern. I have a stove made by the same company. Citronella mixed with diesel is great to burn in these lanterns because it annoys mosquitos.

Avoid the clones. Many are not brass, and they will rust.

Just found this thread, I have 4 Coleman Lanterns scored off of Ebayin the last year, a Red 200A single mantle in mint condition, a 228F and a 220F and a 220J which is torn apart on my workbench, .
I believe the 220A would fire up with no problems. The 228F and 220F just need to be cleaned and serviced and should work.
The 220J came in and was a little more beaten up then the pictures showed. Looks like it sat in a box on the ground and the bottom of the font was rusted, I've stripped it down and going for a repaint as I had nothing to lose.

Top Bottom