What's new

Single Edge Sunday - What Will You Use?

None :blushing:

Must admit I'm not doing too well with the SE. I have the ER 1912, early Micromatic open comb, and the Feather Weight.

I'm thinking I should stick with the Feather Weight? I've really only used it once. I've done basically all the shaves (5-6) with the ER. Tried the Micromatic but it too was harsh on the face. Using the Ted Pella coated blades.

Several folks have offered suggestions. The shim seemed to enhance the problems in the ER. Did much better without the ship.

Angle: head pretty much flat against the face. Perhaps an little bit off the face but not much.

My mind is telling me: "What can you expect? You're using a blade that is, well, not like the DE blades. Of course you can't expect the same type shave." In reality, I'm blaming the blade -- or, at least suspecting the blade to be at least part of the issue. Why? Because of the comfortable shaves with the DE and GSB blades.

So, out of sheer desperation went back to the DE (just to see) and it was so much smoother.

But, I don't want to throw in the towel yet. Should I expect the same type shave (smooth, comfortable, irritation free) with the SE that I get with the DE?

{Added Thought}

I must say where I could have gone wrong was on about the third shave I had the idea of stropping the blade. My son has really nice leather and he glued a piece to a board. He put some sort of stuff on the leather (forget what it's called) that was supposed to help. I stropped the blade, tried it and I think that's where it all started. The blade seemed jagged. I continued on though (dummy) and payed the consequences with that shave
cursing.gif
. Then the next day I tried a new blade but my face should have been allowed a day of rest? (It's resting today) But no, not me, I must press on.

Perhaps it's ME: not the razor or the blade.

Thanks for listening. Very therapeutic.

Last edited:
None :blushing:

Must admit I'm not doing too well with the SE. I have the ER 1912, early Micromatic open comb, and the Feather Weight.

I'm thinking I should stick with the Feather Weight? I've really only used it once. I've done basically all the shaves (5-6) with the ER. Tried the Micromatic but it too was harsh on the face. Using the Ted Pella coated blades.

Several folks have offered suggestions. The shim seemed to enhance the problems in the ER. Did much better without the ship.

Angle: head pretty much flat against the face. Perhaps an little bit off the face but not much.

My mind is telling me: "What can you expect? You're using a blade that is, well, not like the DE blades. Of course you can't expect the same type shave." In reality, I'm blaming the blade -- or, at least suspecting the blade to be at least part of the issue. Why? Because of the comfortable shaves with the DE and GSB blades.

So, out of sheer desperation went back to the DE (just to see) and it was so much smoother.

But, I don't want to throw in the towel yet. Should I expect the same type shave (smooth, comfortable, irritation free) with the SE that I get with the DE?

{Added Thought}

I must say where I could have gone wrong was on about the third shave I had the idea of stropping the blade. My son has really nice leather and he glued a piece to a board. He put some sort of stuff on the leather (forget what it's called) that was supposed to help. I stropped the blade, tried it and I think that's where it all started. The blade seemed jagged. I continued on though (dummy) and payed the consequences with that shave :cursing:. Then the next day I tried a new blade but my face should have been allowed a day of rest? (It's resting today) But no, not me, I must press on.

Perhaps it's ME: not the razor or the blade.

Thanks for listening. Very therapeutic.
The OCMM doesn't work for everybody.....I was using SEs for about 9 months before using it and it tore my face off for more than a moment....Its more common than not for folks to have a Love/Hate relationship with the OCCMM.....There are far more user friendly SEs out there and I wouldn't get hung up on it.....As far as I am concerned there has been too much made of 1912s as well....I see them pretty much as a Blunt Shaving Instrument in that they lack finesse .....I very rarely use a 1912 as I find them very square and boring to use...:w00t:

The GEM Clog Pruf is a lovely user friendly razor....Its basically an OCMM with a Closed/Guard Bar Comb.....Schick Injectors are excellent SEs as well and they are plentiful and cheap and easy to use and can offer the shave of your life........Stropping modern multi faceted blades is not a good idea either .....As you say you will ruin them...:w00t:

I had to take a break from the OCMM and go back to it ...:001_cool:

Billy

Four Pass Shaving Routine....:tongue_sm

Hot Water prep & massage with Coconut Oil
Schick Route 66 Injector
NOS Schick Krona Injector Blade 4
Semogue Classic 208 Boar Brush
Alphy & Becs Natural Shaving Soap - With Jojoba Oil - Vitamin E
Organic Aloe Vera Gel
LOGONA Man Aftershave Balm (From Germany)

Billy

The GEM Clog Pruf is a lovely user friendly razor....Its basically an OCMM with a Closed/Guard Bar Comb.....Schick Injectors are excellent SEs as well and they are plentiful and cheap and easy to use and can offer the shave of your life........Stropping modern multi faceted blades is not a good idea either .....As you say you will ruin them...:w00t:

I had to take a break from the OCMM and go back to it ...:001_cool:

Billy

Thanks for the encouragement Billy.

How does the Gem Clog Pruf compare with the Feather Weight? I have the Feather Weight and I guess I'm wondering if it would be a good one to get back in the saddle with until I get the Clog Pruf?

Thanks for the encouragement Billy.

How does the Gem Clog Pruf compare with the Feather Weight? I have the Feather Weight and I guess I'm wondering if it would be a good one to get back in the saddle with until I get the Clog Pruf?

The GEM Clog Pruf is about the same as the OCMM in terms of aggressiveness......GEM introduced this razor as being Clog Proof, but their real intention was to make the OCMM more user friendly by adding a Closed Comb Bar design to protect the user from its large blade exposure....It is the exact same design with a couple of drainage holes.....:blink:

These are very user friendly and in my humble opinion they were the pinnacle of later GEM productions.. The Closed Comb Bar design helps to guide the user towards the correct shaving angle of Flat against the face.....:blushing:

To be honest the OCMM & Clog Pruf are about Centre Right in terms of aggression .....The OCMM gets its awesome reputation because its not an easy razor to use....The OCMM was marketed in 1929/1930 toward an Older Generation of Gents that were used to shaving with Open Razors & very Aggressive SEs.....:tongue_sm

If the Featherweight is working for you its a good tool to get used the SE shaving angle and techniques....I was a bit like yourself and jumped in at the deep end too quickly and tore the face off my self for a few months....:w00t:

A light touch with the Clog Pruf and you will be fine with it....:001_cool:

Billy

If the Featherweight is working for you its a good tool to get used the SE shaving angle and techniques....I was a bit like yourself and jumped in at the deep end too quickly and tore the face off my self for a few months....:w00t:

A light touch with the Clog Pruf and you will be fine with it....:001_cool:Billy

I do tend to jump in with both feet due to the excitement that I get caught up in. In this case, wasn't too wise indeed.

I'll give it a try again but this time with Feather Weight. I heard read some negatives about it and really didn't give it a chance in order to make up my own mind.

I ordered a small quantity of Treets to give them a try too along with the Ted Pellas I already have tried.

Thanks again Billy. Sometimes just an understanding, sympathetic ear is very helpful :thumbup1:

I do tend to jump in with both feet due to the excitement that I get caught up in. In this case, wasn't too wise indeed.

I'll give it a try again but this time with Feather Weight. I heard read some negatives about it and really didn't give it a chance in order to make up my own mind.

I ordered a small quantity of Treets to give them a try too along with the Ted Pellas I already have tried.

Thanks again Billy. Sometimes just an understanding, sympathetic ear is very helpful :thumbup1:

You are welcome Sir ...:thumbup1:

Top Bottom