Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Good morning gentlemen... I am looking for a second brush

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canton Georgia
    Posts
    287

    Default Good morning gentlemen... I am looking for a second brush

    I have been using the same brush for years. Its an Edwin Jagger Badger brush and I have always liked it. Then I found this site... and now, I want another LOL.

    So, can anyone recommend a good second brush? I am on a bit of a budget so low cost would be a good thing. I would also be interested in buying used. So preferably something that is pretty common that I might get a good response to with a WTB post. But I dont really know what to specifically ask for.

    I think I want to stick with badger. Right or wrong I was always told it was "better".

    So, where should I start my research/hunting?

    Jeff

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    607

    Default

    At this point I mainly use a Simpsons Special in pure & a Berkeley in best. The Special is around $25 & the Berkeley is about $50 depending on where you look. They're both great brushes IMO.
    Single Ring-Bostonian-40's Aristocrat-'51'52'55'56'60'69 SS-'60 Fatboy-'62 Slim-'73 Knack

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Richland, WA.
    Posts
    1,904
    Images
    11

    Default

    Jeff, Give a Semogue Boar brush a try. I recomend the 1305, it makes great lather and it doesn't matter if you are a bowl, or facelatherer. It works either way, and it goes for under $20.

    Clayton

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canton Georgia
    Posts
    287
    Thread Starter

    Default

    I have done a little bit of reading on boar vs badger... any thoughts there? I hear boar doesnt last as long... But of course its less expensive. Thoughts?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lost in the lather
    Posts
    19,330
    Images
    33

    Default

    Welcome to B&B......

    Do you want a face lathering brush

    OR

    A bowl lathering brush


    Until you tell us what you want you will get nothing but "I like/have this brush" kind of answers

    Also state a price (or range). there's no point telling you about a $200 Rooney if you want to spend $35 or telling you about a $15 boar when you want to spend $100
    Mick (insert witty comment here) - Shaving Soap Forum Steward

    If you enjoy the time you spend on B&B - become a contributor and support B&B

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    4,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Welcome to B&B......

    Do you want a face lathering brush

    OR

    A bowl lathering brush


    Until you tell us what you want you will get nothing but "I like/have this brush" kind of answers

    Also state a price (or range). there's no point telling you about a $200 Rooney if you want to spend $35 or telling you about a $15 boar when you want to spend $100
    Exactly! What do and don't you like about your EJ brush?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,954

    Default

    The Simpson Colonel, a good all around brush especially if you bowl lather, is the WCS deal of today. If the B&B discount code works on top of the deal, it's under $50.
    ~brian

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canton Georgia
    Posts
    287
    Thread Starter

    Default

    90% of the time I use soap in a bowl. The other 10% I use a cream and face lather.

    Id like to keep it around 30-40.00

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    4,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jeff_C View Post
    90% of the time I use soap in a bowl. The other 10% I use a cream and face lather.

    Id like to keep it around 30-40.00
    For that price range, I'd suggest a TGN, Whipped Dog, or boar brush.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Gods County, Worcestershire, UK
    Posts
    3,789

    Default

    No one going to mention FS?

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jeff_C View Post
    90% of the time I use soap in a bowl. The other 10% I use a cream and face lather.

    Id like to keep it around 30-40.00
    Sounds like a job for a nice boar. I love my badgers for cream and soft soaps, but for soap in a bowl I get he best out of a nice boar. Buy an SOC and never ever look back.
    Chi Chi, get the yayo

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    15 MI SW of Denton, Texas
    Posts
    13,211

    Default

    The goal is for each person to find what serves them best in the art of shaving.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canton Georgia
    Posts
    287
    Thread Starter

    Default

    What is FS and SOC?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    15 MI SW of Denton, Texas
    Posts
    13,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jeff_C View Post
    What is FS and SOC?
    Franks Shaving and Semogue Owners Club.
    The goal is for each person to find what serves them best in the art of shaving.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,851
    Images
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jeff_C View Post
    What is FS and SOC?
    FS is Frank Shaving (a cheap type of badger brush). And SOC means Semogue Owners Club.
    I personally would go with a nice Semogue boar brush.
    Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent.
    -Till- Steward in the General Shaving Section
    Love B&B? Please support it!

  16. #16

    Default

    The soc is is a semogue boar brush , its made with a high grade of boar bristle , once it breaks in it will be soft and great backbone to handle the soaps you prefer .Vintage scent has what I believe are the best prices here is a link http://vintagescent.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=113. The brush has many fans all the "cool wet shavers have one " . Here is just one of the links for brush http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...light=soc+boar
    L.O.S.E.R ... B.O.S.S....Voskhod Comrades Club

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canton Georgia
    Posts
    287
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Thank you all! Great suggestions!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Carolina - Sabtieh-Beirut, Lebanon
    Posts
    2,788

    Default

    Semouge 1305
    BOTOC, Arkolyte, TOFLAC-U, Muhle R41 (2010)- Merkur Progress, Merkur 37 Slant, Simpsons Wee Scot lover,Omega Pro boar, Arko & Gada face latherer.
    SUPPORT B&B BUCK A SALE.

  19. #19

    Default

    If you want a boar I suggest checking out West Coast Shaving..they're having a deal going on right now that if you order a Semogue brush you get free shipping on your entire order..good chance to snag a couple of other things while you're at it.

    I believe it also requires a coupon code..but I don't know it off of the top of my head.

    Makes me ALMOST (almost) wish I didn't get my Omega 10086 (though I do love it) so I'd have an excuse to get a Semogue and Captain's Choice.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canton Georgia
    Posts
    287
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Well I did find a very affordable Omega 48 on the sales forum. So that may temper my curiosity about boars brushes for the time being. :)

    But of course with my new found obsession...cough....er... uh.. hobby... there is always room for more!

Similar Threads

  1. Good morning everone , good morning
    By ramon in forum Shaving Soaps
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-17-2011, 05:17 PM
  2. Good Evening Gentlemen
    By GDeAngelo in forum Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-In
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-20-2010, 01:29 PM
  3. Good Morning Gentlemen
    By valmara1971 in forum Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-In
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 09-10-2009, 05:02 AM
  4. Good morning everyone
    By Wookers in forum Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-In
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-04-2009, 06:39 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
By accessing Badger & Blade, you agree to abide by the Terms of Usage. You can find our Privacy Policy here.
Once submitted, any posts, images, or content become the property of Badger & Blade.
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.