What's new

Why aren't boar bristles already split?

Here's a dumb question: Since a boar will probably get wet plenty of times in its life, why are the bristles on a boar brush already split? Or are the beasts sheltered?

Dave

I have received new boars that had a few split hairs already.

If pig bristles grow like human hair (big if, I know), then the growth phases would suggest that only some percentage of the hairs would be split at any given time. Maybe the sorting process tends to pick out hairs that have not split yet?

When they're still on the boar, I expect they're covered with oils and sebum and things to repel water and prevent the bristles absorbing it - otherwise the boar would get much heavier every time it rained. (Or it could be that when they're still alive, the boar don't get dried properly by being hung upside down after every rainstorm :001_smile)

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I think the boar is covered with a lot more than just sebum and oils based on Omegas smell right out of the box...

Here's a dumb question: Since a boar will probably get wet plenty of times in its life, why are the bristles on a boar brush already split? Or are the beasts sheltered?

They wear off and grow again; on the boar it is still 'alive' so to say.

Nope, the ends of boar bristles are not trimmed, that would make a terrible brush.

Some boars are trimmed; Wilkinson and HJM (Mühle) certainly are. It doesn't make them bad but it takes a lot longer to break inn and they might never split. They will remain rougher on the face but some like it more that way.

Some boars are trimmed; Wilkinson and HJM (Mühle) certainly are. It doesn't make them bad but it takes a lot longer to break inn and they might never split. They will remain rougher on the face but some like it more that way.

I stand corrected. It seems like that would make an extremely scratchy brush, but I've never tried a Wilkinson or Mühle boar.

Top Bottom