What's new

Question for you open comb guys - switching from DE89 to NEW Long Comb ...

man00ver,

Glad to know I'm not the only crazy one. I simply cannot see anyone migrating from the DE89 to a NEW SC, at least now there are two of us. :wink2: I got no epiphany with the SC at all.

I don't even know what a NEW Improved is, Is there a open comb razor wiki? I did not find one.

Well, here's the Gillette section of the ShaveWiki, which has links to encylopedic entries for most varieties.
Also, if you haven't yet found your way to Achim's Mr. Razor site, you're missing out on a wonderful photographic reference!

In brief, the New Improved was the next Gillette evolution after the Old Type, changing the head configuration to provide more blade bend and gap (and adding a big dose of razor beauty as well). Next came the NEW, which had significant changes in head geometry, and they ditched the posts on the cap and the corresponding holes in the guard plate, going instead with a tongue-in-groove fitment (requiring new blades as well, since the 3-hole variety wouldn't fit anymore). The NEW De Luxe was essentially a "missing link" between the two; a New Improved head geometry with the tongue-in-groove fitment (and a slightly heavier head as a result).

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I was previously using a Merkur HD and it took me about 2-3 weeks to be as comfortable with an R41. It's all I use now. Will you eventually try the R41?

I probably will not try the R41, frankly. I'm not on a razor hunt, but after about 8 months of using the DE89 on the BRW handle, I thought I'd try a comb because they look cool.

By the way, shave today was EXCELLENT! None of that irritation afterwards, it is really dialing in fast. I would guess you are right on the money -- 2-3 weeks is all it should take. I think I will go ahead and send this out for plating next week sometime.

At that point, I will probably quit fiddling with razors completely. To me they are like a pliers. Why do I need 8 of them? :wink2:

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Well, here's the Gillette section of the ShaveWiki, which has links to encylopedic entries for most varieties.
Also, if you haven't yet found your way to Achim's Mr. Razor site, you're missing out on a wonderful photographic reference!

In brief, the New Improved was the next Gillette evolution after the Old Type, changing the head configuration to provide more blade bend and gap (and adding a big dose of razor beauty as well). Next came the NEW, which had significant changes in head geometry, and they ditched the posts on the cap and the corresponding holes in the guard plate, going instead with a tongue-in-groove fitment (requiring new blades as well, since the 3-hole variety wouldn't fit anymore). The NEW De Luxe was essentially a "missing link" between the two; a New Improved head geometry with the tongue-in-groove fitment (and a slightly heavier head as a result).

Thanks, John! Good references!

At that point, I will probably quit fiddling with razors completely. To me they are like a pliers. Why do I need 8 of them? :wink2:

Gas pliers
Chanel lock pliers
Vice grip pliers
Needle nose pliers
Lineman's pliers
Split ring pliers
Side cut pliers
Diagonal cut pliers
Curve nose pliers

Need I say more :a6:

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Oh yeah! Two days of no burn feelings at all. This is clearly more aggressive than the DE89, but now that I've had a week's shaves on it, I am good to go.

It will not reduce number of passes or seriously shorten my shave, but I have found it is closer and stays closer longer into my day than when I use the DE89. This will be replated.

For anyone following this because you use a DE89 and are thinking about one of these, I would recommend you try the NEW Long Comb. Leave the NEW Short Comb alone. Despite an opinion or two to the contrary, I think you will find, as Man00ver and I have, that the DE89 is a clearly better head than the short comb. I would not bother with a comparison there. But the long comb is a different story completely. I'm a fan.

John, i would have to agree with you with 2-3 weeks to acclimatize yourself to the LC New; great razor, but if it is still causing you irritation by then, you may have to try another open-comb.

John I'm glad the NEW LC is working well for you....I agree with you in that with the NEW LC , the duration of feeling BBS was improved over using the DEB9.

Over the last week , what was it that made a difference in the quality of your shaves?? Was it simply finding the right angle, or was there some other factor for you ?

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Ken,

It was a combination of finding the right angle and getting back to minimal pressure. The DE89 is very forgiving, it's hard to screw up a shave with it. You have to respect the LC. I think the NEW LC approaches what the straight shavers say they like straights for ... the close lasts longer.

But, today was in the 90's. I learned that I probably should not be so fascinated with BBS every day. I think I have to resist the temptation to go as close as I can and just go as close as I need to in the summer months. I know I like this enough to keep working with it, though. I'm going to send it out for replating now and work more with it when I get it back. I still like the DE89, so it won't be bad being without the LC for a while.

Tomorrow will be a Proraso day and I think I'll lighten up on the closeness this week. But the NEW LC will certainly shave you as close as you want to get! I'm a believer.

I agree with 2-3 weeks as a reasonable learning time for any new razor. I'd add, though, that if a razor isn't working well after that length of time, put it aside for 2-3 weeks, or maybe even 2-3 months, and then try again. Not sure why, but it often works. Maybe learning happens unconsciously, while we sleep. Or maybe skills evolve. Whatever the reason, it's worth a try.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
OK, about the plating ... is Rhodium chosen for hardness or looks? Is nickel harder and more durable or is rhodium? Is Rhodium plated over nickel? I want to have my NEW LC plated, but I'm still unclear about the differences except that I believe chrome is not generally viewed as the best?

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Oh boy! Great DFS shave, most comfortable this week ... with the DE89.

No doubt about it, the DE89 is one of shaving's greatest razor heads -- coupled with a BRW handle, it is an awesome shaving machine. I am still going to master that NEW Long Comb. For me, that means giving it at least a full month.

But I have to be careful not to be too fascinated by how close I can get with it. I clearly cannot do a BBS with the LC every day and stay comfortable, especially in hot/humid weather.

The new formulation Proraso soap is wonderful, by the way. Gillette Super Plat blue, Omega 10098 brush, Thayer's and Aqua Velva follow up. Terrific, comfortable hot/humid day shave!

I too have an EJ89 (first razor) that I really enjoy using...gives me great shaves when paired with the right blade (sharp!). I have a funky growth pattern on my neck and sometimes find the 89 gives me some burn...so, I started looking into the OC's. The BOTOC peep's convinced me that the aggressive tab was a bit overplayed and the OC's are more efficient. I gave the LC New a try. On my 3rd shave, I recieved the closest, irritation free and longest lasting close shave yet in my wetshaving experience. OC's are great, and the LC is a wonderful place to start. Go figure, now I have an R41 added to my collection.

BTW, after figuring out the LC New, I went back to my EJ89 and recieved a MUCH better shave than I had in previous uses. This forum really stresses technique and I am now a believer in OC's as well as how important a role proper technique plays. Pop into the BOTOC thread...it's free comedy (and a very knowledgeable group).

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Same experience here, BigBull. Even after almost a full year with the DE89 on the BRW XXL, after a week with the long comb, when I came back to the DE89 today, clearly my angle was more precise.

Did you find any additional irritation from using the long comb in hot weather? I think I may not after another month or so with it, but after my first week, I don't know if the feeling I got was from the long comb or just the hot/humid weather.

Did you find any additional irritation from using the long comb in hot weather?

I live in Florida and it's June...at this point I'd have to say the weather hasn't affected my shaves (and I warm water shave) but maybe that's because I splash Master's Bay Rum on afterwards! :thumbup1:
I'm also very active so sweat frequently.

BigBull and I live in the same town....he actual borrowed my LC NEW to get sucked into Open Combs....LOL.....I've lived in Florida now for 10 years, and I cant say that heat or humidity has made a difference in my shaves....have you tried cold water shaves?? My brother swears by them...he has a thread going on here if you want to check it out. Every time I've tried it, I have received wonderful shaves...

Of the razors mentioned, I have an EJ 87 (similar to the DE 89), an LC New, an SC New, and a Slim. When I first got my LC New, I would have told you that it was pretty aggressive, and with a sharp blade it was a bit uncomfortable. I would only use it rarely, and then with a tame Red Pack. Now, a few years later, I love it, and it gives me perfectly comfortable and perfectly smooth shaves with an Astra SP. But back then I set my Slim on #3. Now i set in on #8 and find I get a better shave that way, and it's still quite comfortable. I find the SC New about as comfortable as the LC New, and I like both just a little better than my EJ 87.

My point is to not give up on your News. If they feel a bit uncomfortable right now, set them aside and come back to them in 6 months or so. You may be surprised at how much those razors will have improved in the 6 months since you used them last. :001_tongu

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Oh, I'm not giving up, it's going out for plating tomorrow. It's a keeper. And, yes, I cold water shave in the summer. Just no ice cubes. Not necessary.

Top Bottom