Gentlemen! I've made it to the Badger and Blade forums and the journey was as enjoyable as it was inevitable.
I was initially considering changing my method of shaving from an electric razor (the ugly) and I was humming and harring about what direction to go in. I was carousing the supermarkets and considering going back to a mach-3 set-up (the bad) but their whole business model seemed to be a not-so-subtle screw you to the customer. Then along comes the dollarshaveclub's viral video to the front page of Reddit. I watch that and I'm ready to pounce so I went to their website only to run into a brick wall, U.S. customers only. So I headed back to the Reddit article and started reading through the comments, lo and behold someone linked to r/Wicked_edge. After a little research I made a purchase and happily picked up an Edwin Jagger DE89 (the good) and found myself hooked on tips, titbits and purchasing advice. Yada yada yada... Welcome to Badger and Blade.
My current set-up consists of :
- An Edwin Jagger DE89 2012 with a chrome handle (I initially regretted not getting a fluted handle for grip reasons but this problem has since slipped of my radar and I prefer the Chrome aesthetically)
- A Vulfix something Shaving Brush (adequate for the moment but I'm looking to try an Omega)
- Edwin Jagger Sandalwood Shaving Cream and a 200g tub of Wahl Cream (fine for now until I run out)
- Derby and Astra Premium Blades (I prefer the Derby at the moment, very happy with those)
- An improvised mug for building lather (not ideal)
- And an inexperienced human trying to learn
I've also made a few orders online and currently have en route:
- Taylor of Old Bond Street classic shaving cream (looking to try Almond, Avocade and Rose creams in the future)
- Thayers Rose Petal Alcohol Free Witch Hazel Toner
- 100 Derby Blades
But far and above my biggest problem so far has been finding good retailers for someone living in New Zealand. I was actually lucky enough to find that I have a brick and mortar barber shop down the road but their range is a little lacking. I got a decent brush and some Wahl Cream at a good price but I think the answers will come from online shopping. Here is what I've found so far:
- http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/ I got my Edwin Jagger from here at a great price with cheap shipping to boot, but slightly limited product range.
- http://www.goodfella.co.nz/ Local store with good prices, range limited but I got my TOSB cream and Derby razors here at a good price.
- Mancave.co.nz Another local store with more range, I expect I'll grab some things from here soon.
- Connaughtshaving.com Looks very promising for range, price and shipping prices to NZ.
Many of the other online stores I looked at have had good range and pricing but they tend to really screw you over when shipping to NZ. I was about to get the Thayers Toner from Amazon when they hit me with a ridiculous NZD $56 shipping! Absurd! I hope there are some fellow kiwi's out there, are there any stores that I've missed or overlooked?
Thank you for creating this community, for the amazing database of knowledge and for any advice to come.