What's new

Weber DLC Razor - Is This The Mildest Razor on The Market?

Thanks Dave.....first Johnnie has me jonesing for a Weber....now with all of your love of the Tradere....I'm thinking I need to sell blood...or a organ to get one!! LOL....Highest bids for a kidney!! LOL!

I want to see comparisons of the Weber, Feather AS, Tradere, and Futur or Progress. I own a Feather AS and a Future and am interested in a more aggressive SS razor. I love the shaves from the Futur and the quality is "OK" The Feather is a work of art, but it is more work for me to get a BBS shave with it. The sweet spot is narrow and it is also in a different angle than my other razors. I'm leaning towards the Tradere, but I want to hear what others have to say about both the Weber and the Tradere.

I have the Tradere, Weber (ARC) with Bulldog handle, Fatip with Ikon Bulldog handle and Ikon OSS all of which are large heavy razors and the only one which is not completely SS is the Fatip, however this is made of brass.

I find the Tradere and Fatip to be equally as efficient, delivering to me very close shaves with little effort. I think the Tradere may edge out the Fatip slightly, but that is just the impression I get, I give these two razors a 9. I rate the Weber next, it is very, very smooth and feels like there is no blade in the razor but after the shave I feel a very close shave. This razor is so darn close to the Tradere and Fatip it is not funny but I feel that it is not quite there but really I'm happy to call this one in at an 8.95. The Ikon OSS is a great razor, gives smooth shaves but I have a little trouble under my neck and I would rate it at 8.

Compared to other razors, I really like these top three.

Last edited:
Could not agree more with this statement.

I have had mine for at least 6 or 8 weeks, maybe more and I just got around to getting it into my rotation this past week. Amazing shaver that gave me an incredibly close but irritation and 100% nick-free week of shaves. I think I may have a new favorite. I also head shave every Friday night and I shaved my head with the same Astra blade that I used for the entire week with the Weber.

The Tradere is quite a bit more aggressive than the 25C. Most closed combs are more aggressive than Merkur Open Combs.

Thanks. I've only tried the Merkur25C open comb, and it didn't strike me as particularly aggressive compared to my Merkur bakelite and Weishi 2003.
Renato

UPDATE:

On the off chance that there was something wrong with my brand new Gillette Super Thin blade the other day, I took a Gillette Super Thin blade out of my Lord 1822LP razor which I had used once, and it had worked fine. I inserted it into the Weber DLC and again used it with Trumpers shaving cream.

Result was exactly the same as with the first Super Thin - it left a lot of whisker behind, I could see it and I could feel it. I also had handy my Wilkinson Sword Classic razor (the cheap black plastic one) which had arrived in the mail the other day, and which I'd loaded with a new Gillette Super Thin razor too. When I used it over the area previously gone over with the Weber, I could hear it cutting away the whiskers and giving me the close shave the Weber hadn't.

Then I proceeded to shave different parts of my face with the Weber, and the mirror side with the Wilkinson Sword. It was no contest, the Weber left whiskers behind everywhere and the Wilkinson Sword shaved its respective parts perfectly. I gave up on the Weber, and did the whole face with the Wilkinson Sword.

There is zero doubt in my mind that my Weber razor does not resemble the Weber razors that you have all described. Anyhow, it's got a good handle that I'll test out on other razors.
Regards,
Renato

I want to know one thing though, does the new Weber with the Bulldog handle still have that issue with the wobbly knurling, when half a turn was enough to almost get the head off the handle, or have they changed that?

I want to know one thing though, does the new Weber with the Bulldog handle still have that issue with the wobbly knurling, when half a turn was enough to almost get the head off the handle, or have they changed that?

It takes more than that to get mine off. I haven't actually counted, but I would guess it's 2-3 full turns.

I have only 1 shave on mind (yesterday) as it just came in. Will be another month before it gets back to the top of the rotation.

Shave was "acceptable"... First time in a long time that I was rushed to shave so did not get my typical BBS. I can't blame the razor as it did take everything off of my face and that is about all you can ask of a razor. I also used a med prep blade for the last time before tossing it (7th shave on it).

I might have to kick it up to the top of the pile to see if I like it or not

proxy.php

It takes more than that to get mine off. I haven't actually counted, but I would guess it's 2-3 full turns.

Yes, but the people who remember the old Weber with the classic handle must know what I'm talking about... The attachment of the head to the handle wasn't the best.

Yes, but the people who remember the old Weber with the classic handle must know what I'm talking about... The attachment of the head to the handle wasn't the best.

I wouldn't know. I picked mine up on the BST. It has a Bulldog handle, kinda wish I had the original also. I'm looking for the ORIGINAL Weber, with the OC, but I've not found one yet. Maybe one day.

I have only 1 shave on mind (yesterday) as it just came in. Will be another month before it gets back to the top of the rotation.

Shave was "acceptable"... First time in a long time that I was rushed to shave so did not get my typical BBS. I can't blame the razor as it did take everything off of my face and that is about all you can ask of a razor. I also used a med prep blade for the last time before tossing it (7th shave on it).

Interesting that you give it just an "acceptable". If you just got yours, there is a good chance it would have come from the same batch as mine. I'd be very interested to see your thoughts on it when you've tried it out with a sharp new blade.

When I first posted this topic, I was leaning towards giving it an "acceptable" rating with the feather blade. But after the comparison shave with the Wilkinson Sword razor I describe in the Update above, I think I'll have to revise it to "just barely acceptable".
Regards,
Renato

We must have 2 different Models of Weber razor with classic Handle, Because mine attaches fine and shaves like a freekin Dream :eek:)

Mine is similar, 3 or so turns before the head comes off the handle. - Edit: Just went and checked somewhere between 4-5 turns.

Try it with a fresh blade, the razor deserves that chance.

I wouldn't know. I picked mine up on the BST. It has a Bulldog handle, kinda wish I had the original also. I'm looking for the ORIGINAL Weber, with the OC, but I've not found one yet. Maybe one day.

Yes, mine has the Bulldog handle too.

Interesting that you give it just an "acceptable". If you just got yours, there is a good chance it would have come from the same batch as mine. I'd be very interested to see your thoughts on it when you've tried it out with a sharp new blade.

When I first posted this topic, I was leaning towards giving it an "acceptable" rating with the feather blade. But after the comparison shave with the Wilkinson Sword razor I describe in the Update above, I think I'll have to revise it to "just barely acceptable".
Regards,
Renato

It may not just work with the Feather. In my limited experience I have noted that sometimes the sharpest blade does not always mean the closest shave. I've found good results with the Weber using SuperMax Super Platinum, Astra SP, Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow and am about to try a Crystal blade.

Last edited:
It may not just work with the Feather. In my limited experience I have noted that sometimes the sharpest blade does not always mean the closest shave. I've found good results with the Weber using SuperMax Super Platinum, Astra SP, Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow and am about to try a Crystal blade.

Thanks. Though skeptical, I'll try an Astra SP next. I'm skeptical because the difference between blades in a razor is usually between pretty close, close, very close, and extremely close. I've never before come across one where the difference is didn't-shave-properly, not-so-close and nearly close.
Regards,
Renato

It takes a four or five full turns to get the head off the handle on my one.
Renato

Today I put an Astra SP blade into my Weber DLC. Result was the same as with the Feather - a barely acceptable shave.

I had made up some shim by cutting the edges off a blade, and tried putting it both above and below the blade to see if it affected the razor's performance. That had no effect.

I put the Feather blade back into the Weber and did a comparison shave to my 1956 Gillette Tech with a Gillette Super Thin SS blade. I'd shave equivalent places on my face with each, then run my fingers over each area. In each case, the Gillette Tech was shaving closer. In the end, as I ddn't want to have a shadow by this evening, I ran the Tech over my whole face.

I'll email the company now.

Regards,
Renato

Top Bottom