What's new

Weber DLC Razor - Is This The Mildest Razor on The Market?

I also have only the older classic long handle with the DC head. I find it more aggressive than my DE89- about the same as my HD34- but smoother.
Actually- I think it one of the finest razors available- along with the DE89.

Why would anyone do that? Completely different type of razors.

I would say that any two DE razors could be compared. However here you'd have two, where neither is an open-comb, both have cast & machined parts made of stainless steel, both coat at least their heads (albeit differently) and both are classic 3-piece designs. Seems a logical comparison.

It's like saying that comparing a Ferrari to Ford is logical - both have engines, wheels, bumpers, seats, etc'.
The Feather AS-D1 is a daily shaver which is probably the mildest on the market, while the Weber is a regular shaver just like the Merkurs or Jaggers.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Has anyone compared either of the Webers with the Feather AS-D1?

We have his & her Feathers, 2 DLC (Classic & Bulldog), and an ARC Webers. The following statements are based on my and my husbands experience with these razors.

They are all smooth and efficient razors. The Feather AS-D1 has a very narrow sweet spot and doesn't perform as well on several days growth of beard. The Webers (ARC & DLC) have a wider and probably more intuitive sweet spot and can mow down several days growth of beard with relative ease. Bang for the buck I would award to the Webers. Fit and finish award goes to the Feathers.

To me the Weber is an enigma. I have the DLC with the Bulldog handle. When I use it, I don't feel it is really doing much. But when I look in the sink, it's full of stubble. I wind up with a shave closer to the FaTip in smoothness, but with the irritation of a Gillette Tech. If I had to take one razor, and only one, on a trip around the world, this would be it.

To me the Weber is an enigma. I have the DLC with the Bulldog handle. When I use it, I don't feel it is really doing much. But when I look in the sink, it's full of stubble. I wind up with a shave closer to the FaTip in smoothness, but with the irritation of a Gillette Tech. If I had to take one razor, and only one, on a trip around the world, this would be it.

Nailed it.

Love the Weber, smooth & mild on the face, with results typically reserved for more "traditionally aggressive" implements.

Could not agree more with this statement.

I shave with my Weber (with the original classic handle) frequently, and don't consider it to be super mild. I consider it to be a very efficient razor, and one of the best on the market.

You want mild, try the (horrific piece of junk) Weishi Razor. It's so mild it barely shaves at all. It's basically useless for it's intended purpose.

I have the cheapest Weishi - the 2003M that costs around $10 - and I found it my most aggressive razor, even though it had a 26 thou blade gap which is relatively wide, the blade stuck out more on both sides than on my other razors. so that it dug in deeper than my Merkur Bakelite with a 30 thou gap. I take it that you probably have the more expensive Weishi model that costs around $18.
Regards,
Renato

QOTD! You really do have to wonder what the folks in marketing were thinking when they named that razor.

Thanks. I now have two Sanguine shavettes. One has a blade in it and one does not. Until I get it right, I will do pretend runs with the bladeless one trying to train my left hand not to keep cutting the right side of my face, before then using the bladed one. It is just so easy to cut yourself - and I mean cut and not nick - with these shavettes. I wouldn't attempt it without an alum bar.
Cheers,
Renato
Cheers

Remember, gap is just one factor in aggressiveness. Blade exposure beyond the tangent is the more important factor. The Old Type which has a very low gap has more exposure and is more aggressive.

I would not consider my Weber a mild razor nor aggressive either. It is middle of the road but as others have said - a very efficient shaving instrument. I would advise that you spend more time shaving with it rather than comparing measurement specifications with other razors.

Thanks to both of you. I mention the smaller blade gap in my Weber because when I've measured my other razors' blade gaps, more often than not, they agreed exactly with the figures given in the Blade Gap table. I am trying to figure out if there is some configuration difference to account for what I experienced compared to what everyone else is experiencing.

I'm finding it very odd that my experience with the Gillette 1948-50 Superspeed, Gillette 1956 Tech, Lord 1822LP, Merkur 333C/23C, Merkur Bakelite and Feather Popular seems akin to what everyone else generally wrote in the reviews, but is totally out of whack with what people have been writing about the Webers.
Regards,
Renato

YMMV, but I don't think the Weber DLC is mild nor is it too aggressive. I compare it to a 40's Rocket as far as it being right in the sweet spot.

I have the Weber DLC with the bulldog handle and a Merkur 23C. Ever since I got the Weber, its the one I use almost all the time. Whenever I'm trying a new blade, I haul out the Merkur and do a head-to-head shave off the see which razor the blade works best in. The Weber wins every time (so far). I get closer, more comfortable results in fewer passes with the Weber. I don't know if that makes it more aggressive but it sure makes it more effective. Well, for me anyway. YMMV. I sure hits my natural sweet spot.

I also have only the older classic long handle with the DC head. I find it more aggressive than my DE89- about the same as my HD34- but smoother.
Actually- I think it one of the finest razors available- along with the DE89.

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts. I definitely seem to be the odd one out in my experience relative to your experiences. For me the Weber DLC certainly is an enigma, we can agree on that.
Cheers,
Renato

The Feather AS-D1 is a daily shaver which is probably the mildest on the market, while the Weber is a regular shaver just like the Merkurs or Jaggers.

I've never tried the Feather AS-D1. But I think that my original post could be put in your terms as,

"The Weber is a daily shaver which is probably the mildest on the market, unlike regular shavers like the Merkurs".

I'd love to hear from someone who bought a Weber DLC within the last few weeks to see whether his impression is similar to mine, or instead similar to those of people who bought one earlier. I'd really like to know if the 3 thou less blade gap I measured on mine has turned it from Merkur/Jagger-like to Feather ASD1-like.
Cheers,
Renato

I can only compare it to a razor close to the EJ89 the R89. I would say it's a bit more aggressive than the 89. Compared to my other modern razors, 7 of them, I would say it's falls about middle in aggressiveness.

I want to see comparisons of the Weber, Feather AS, Tradere, and Futur or Progress. I own a Feather AS and a Future and am interested in a more aggressive SS razor. I love the shaves from the Futur and the quality is "OK" The Feather is a work of art, but it is more work for me to get a BBS shave with it. The sweet spot is narrow and it is also in a different angle than my other razors. I'm leaning towards the Tradere, but I want to hear what others have to say about both the Weber and the Tradere.

I want to see comparisons of the Weber, Feather AS, Tradere, and Futur or Progress. I own a Feather AS and a Future and am interested in a more aggressive SS razor. I love the shaves from the Futur and the quality is "OK" The Feather is a work of art, but it is more work for me to get a BBS shave with it. The sweet spot is narrow and it is also in a different angle than my other razors. I'm leaning towards the Tradere, but I want to hear what others have to say about both the Weber and the Tradere.

I know itsmedave has both, he loves his Tradere. Says it's the best razor he has ever had, period. And he really liked his Weber.

I'll give you a short comparison Ski-Patroller. I'll state right up front that the 10 shaves or so I had with a Feather, none were good shaves. I have a thick coarse beard and the Feather didn't cut much at all. I have tried a Progress for about 30 total shaves and a Futur about the same. I enjoy adjustables but I don't really ever adjust them mid shave (especially the Futur). The Progress was a great shaver but the Futur was far too big for me to get around my nose and lip. I've posted my thought on the Weber in this thread, and the Tradere is the best razor in my den. It's not too aggressive and not too tame, it's right about the middle and a great shaver. I'll rank them as far as aggressiveness

Feather AS-too mild. I've gotten a better shave with a toothpick
Weber-middle of the road aggressiveness. Great shaver and I have never nicked myself with it.
Tradere- The best razor I own. It's perfect in both form and function. Not too aggressive and not too mild
Progress and Futur-can either be mild or aggressive. I enjoyed the Progress dialed up but not the Futur. I place the Futur and the Feather in the same category. I didn't like either much at all.

I'll throw one more moderate razor out there that I love and that's an iKon S3S. It's a bit below the Tradere and a bit above the Weber. It's a great shaver as well. I am down to about 6 razors in my den (not counting the ones off at the plater). I have the Tradere, iKon S3S, Joris, Weber, Slant, and a DE86 Octagonal. That's all I need and all I want. I could rid myself of the Slant, Joris, and the DE86 and keep only the iKon, Tradere, and Weber and be a happy shaver for good. The Tradere is my favorite razor that I have ever owned It's perfect. Hope that helps.

Top Bottom