What's new

Greetings and a question re: soaps

I'm a somewhat recent convert to DE shaving, as I started about 6 months ago. Have lurked this forum over that time off and on looking for tips and information. I've found some helpful tips but, I'll be honest, it can also be rather overwhelming to sift through everything here.

I've been using Col Conk Bay Rum soap for most of my time DE shaving, with a Merkur razor and Astra Platinum blades with very good results.

I'm also currently looking for recommendations on a good soap for someone who is considering DE shaving, but also just wants to try a brush and soap with their multi-blade cartridge razor. I'd seen less than stellar reviews for the Col Conk lime soap, which gave me pause as I was going to pick up as a gift for this individual, since they would definitely prefer the lime scent and I have had very good luck with the bay rum scent.

So, if anyone has any tips on a good soap for someone who may or may not go the DE route, but is definitely interested in ditching their canned shaving cream, please pass it along.

Thanks!

Just to be same as weepingnutka but different...

Why not give the new Proraso creams a go? Both are great performance/price wise.

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback! (And the warm welcome.)

I'll be looking into several of the options you recommended, especially the Razo-Rock lemon soap, as I think the person I'm putting together a gift for will like that. If anyone has a recommendation for an unscented soap, too, that would also be appreciated.

Someone else has steered them towards an art of shaving kit that I don't think is really the best way to get into wetshaving... I could be wrong, though.

I'm going to have to keep notes on things I might want to try, myself, in addition to the Col Conk soap I've been using. (I've seen mixed reviews on it, but for me, it's worked well, but that doesn't mean I can't do better!)

Thanks, again!

Welcome to B&B. As for finding the best soaps for yourself, the best thing you can do is try any that seem to interest you. Keep in mind that everyone is different so the way to find what works best for you is to dive right in and start using some soaps.

Mama Bear's Czar's Choice is a B&B forum special that's gone into regular production now, and it's Lime & Cilantro scented. It's a great performer, and it smells great too!

I appreciate all the continued feedback. I was looking at the Mama Bear's soaps last night. The Lime & Cilantro one definitely sounds interesting.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Welcome to B&B. As for finding the best soaps for yourself, the best thing you can do is try any that seem to interest you. Keep in mind that everyone is different so the way to find what works best for you is to dive right in and start using some soaps.

+1. Welcome, learn and enjoy!

The most slippery lather I have come across so far is that from Trumpers shaving cream. Crabtree & Evelyn Nomad is somewhat behind it. I like them because when you wash your face off, it is still very slippery, whereas most other creams aren't. Others are fans of tallow based, solid soaps like Tabac, which are supposed to deliver more cushioning.
Regards,
Renato

Welcome aboard the good ship B&B. Take a stroll on the promenade deck and enjoy the voyage. :thumbup1:

Always remember, relax but be vigilant when you shave!

Top Bottom