What's new

Nervous about trying a Feather again

I started out with a sampler that included Feathers, I knew I wanted to try them, I just didn't want to start with them. So I started off with Blue Birds, then some of the CVS blades (Personnas I think? Horrible regardless) then I tried some Wilkinson Swords I found locally. Then I started getting Antsy, I threw a Feather in my Flaretip and got a great shave, one of the best I'd had at that point. After the second shave I threw one in my Fatboy on 3, the shave got even better. Then I cranked it up to 4, and the shave got even better! Then I went to look for a Fatboy that went to 11! Having no luck there I proceeded to turn my Fatboy up to 5, yes the shave got even better but I got a good bit of razorburn as well so back down to 4 it is for my Fatboy. Then I threw one in my Aristocrat and I haven't touched my Flaretip or even my Fatboy since! Feathers have a reputation, but so far (I can't afford a decent RAD currently, so I don't have as large a pool to draw from as some) the Feathers have been my go to blade that seem to work in anything. Give them a try again, and try them in a couple different razors if you have any available, they don't agree with some people but I feel they are an exceptional blade that I feel is worth a second chance if they didn't agree with you the first time around.

I tried a Feather early on in my Merkur 34HD and nicked myself quite a bit. After improving my technique, I went back to the Feather and had no problems. Go slow and let the blade do the work. It gives me a BSS with less effort than a Derby or similar blade.

I love Feathers but paired them with a Gillette Tech, which is a very gentle razor. I doubt my face could take a Feather in a Merkur.

Dave

Feathers have been one of my two Go To Blades for several years. Most people I recommend them to also like them. I like Astras "OK" but they are not in the same league as Feathers and S.Is. You definitely should try them again and don't be afraid of them. Good prep and no pressure is the secret. When I do it right, it feels like I forgot to put the blade in the razor.:001_smile

I had been wet shaving for 50 years but went from injectors to cartridges until I discovered modern DE razors and blades. My first new DE Razor was a Futur and I got to Feathers within a few months. I must have fairly good technique since I seldom get a cut or weeper, but I don't find Feathers at all intimidating. They just give the closest, most tug free shave I've had.

Last edited:
I got bit by Feathers early on. Very much like you. Switched around a bit. Finally settled in (so i thought) with Personna labs. The shaves were good, not great. Every now and then I'd get a bad one. So I basically asked myself "Is their something better?" By that point I realized I had a pretty tough beard. I also realized that I needed an adjustable razor. From there I made the switch back to Feather. With the new combination of:

- Better technique
- Understanding the type of beard
- Matching with a good razor

I now have some REALLY amazing shaves. Give it a shot!

Now I have more experience with shaving I'm wondering if I should try a Feather again.
This is what made the difference for me. I didn't like Feather the first few times I tried it as a newbie. I put them away for a year or so and tried it again on a whim, and found I had much better results once my technique had improved.

Keep in mind that the Feather is notoriously finicky about which razors it works in. Some razors produce awful results (even with good technique) but others make the Feather sing.

The best Feather razor I've found (for me) is the Merkur 39C Slant. These two enjoy a monogamous relationship. I don't use any other blades in my 39C, and I don't use the Feather in any other razor.

Of course, YMMV. You'll just have to experiment until you find the right combo.

Now I have more experience with shaving I'm wondering if I should try a Feather again.
Absolutely. Pretty much everything's worth trying again as your technique improves. That's why newbies are cautioned about making broad, sweeping statements early on.

When I first started DE shaving, I ordered a sample blade pack with Feather's and used them after only two weeks of DE shaving. Big mistake. Resulted in tons of irritation. I came back to them after about 6 months when I had a little more experience. They're by far my favorite blades now. With a feather in my merkur slant I can get a DFS with one pass.

This is what made the difference for me. I didn't like Feather the first few times I tried it as a newbie. I put them away for a year or so and tried it again on a whim, and found I had much better results once my technique had improved.

Keep in mind that the Feather is notoriously finicky about which razors it works in. Some razors produce awful results (even with good technique) but others make the Feather sing.

The best Feather razor I've found (for me) is the Merkur 39C Slant. These two enjoy a monogamous relationship. I don't use any other blades in my 39C, and I don't use the Feather in any other razor.

Of course, YMMV. You'll just have to experiment until you find the right combo.

Funny that many of us think the feather works beautifully with the merkur slant. I was originally shocked that matching a feather with an aggressive razor would work so wonderfully.

Funny that many of us think the feather works beautifully with the merkur slant. I was originally shocked that matching a feather with an aggressive razor would work so wonderfully.

I've actually found Feathers perform worst in my ball end tech. Very mild razor. In my Fatboy, she glides pefect. I run my XTG pass using the "Gillette Slide" on a #6 setting and it's a thing of beauty!

I've actually found Feathers perform worst in my ball end tech. Very mild razor. In my Fatboy, she glides pefect. I run my XTG pass using the "Gillette Slide" on a #6 setting and it's a thing of beauty!

I definitely think the feather is better in my slant than in my EJ de89l. I use the gillette 7oclock blues in the EJ.

I took the "baptismal by fire" route and slapped on a Feather as the third or fourth blade I'd ever tried when I started wet shaving. My technique improved immediately and by leaps and bounds. Just give the blade the respect it justly deserves and put almost NO pressure on it, it'll work just fine.

After a short evaluation of various blades shared with me I went with the Feather, buying 200 of the things. I'm using them for a week and replacing for the Sunday shave so suppose I have nearly two years' supply. I tried one for 14 shaves and got bored with it when it didn't seen to further degrade past about 8 shaves. Feathers work great first shave and soldier on for me. I think I must have a lower shave comfort expectation than most here. I do like smooth results and the Feather delivers.

Top Bottom