What's new

Your vote for the worst soap ever tried

The worst soap I've ever tried was Mama Bears. It wan't horrible, but I've preferred every other soap I've tried. FWIW, I have not yet tried Williams

Ah yes, almost forgot, my vote goes to Penhaligons BB. High price tag for a very poor performing soap. Maybe not THE worst soap out but for the price one would expect something far better than you get at a supermarket.

Caswell-Massey Almond soap. The puck almost disintegrated when I tried to grate it and never really went back together when I mashed it into a container. It smelled great but it's by far the worst shaving soap I've tried.

I'm going to throw in another vote for Col. Conk's lime. It just leaves my face feeling like if I bump it into a wall or something I'm going to stick to it. Permanently. That is of course assuming we aren't including the ebay types that you can purchase. Bought a bay rum variety of some sort once, and while the scent was delightful, by the time I was starting to lather the left side of my face, all the lather on the right side had dried up. Terrible. But it makes a good shower soap.

Caswell-Massey Greenbriar soap was my worst. Smelled great - I still get the cologne from time to time - but the lather turned to slime on my face in seconds. Worked just fine in the shower.

This powdered stuff you add water to that I tried for my first ever DE shave, in my new Feather Popular with a Feather blade. One particular wound took a while to stop bleeding.

Have not tried CONK lime, (don't think I will after this thread) but the amber is my least favorite soap. That being said, the Col Conk Bay Rum is one of my favorite soaps. Not sure what makes it better, but easy to build slick lather that lasts 3 passes. Amber ,on the other hand, behaves like magicians lather. Now you see it, now you don't.

I noticed that mhdena mentioned Ogalalla sweet orange. I have gone through the Ogalalla line of samples. I must admit the sweet orange is my least favorite. However, I have discovered that Ogalalla loves a sturdy fan shaped brush. I used the 2012 LE, Shavemac knot on my Ogalalla, and what a difference. My current favorite combination of soap and brush. Before the Rudy Vey arrived, I put Ogalalla in a "meh" category. Not anymore. I suspect a boar would give similar results, as the Ogalalla seems to really load on a sturdy knot. I would not give up on all of the Ogalalla soaps, or all Col. Conk soaps until you give them a go for yourself. Both are dirt cheap, and easy to come by usually.

Any melt and pour glycerin soap over-saturated with cheap fragrance. Lackluster thin lather, minimal protection/glide and irritation afterward from synthetic chemical scent component(s). :thumbdown

Ah yes, almost forgot, my vote goes to Penhaligons BB. High price tag for a very poor performing soap. Maybe not THE worst soap out but for the price one would expect something far better than you get at a supermarket.
The only thing I would change to the above statement is Penhaligons English Fern.

P

pdillon

Caswell-Massey sets the bar for me. I'm almost tempted to run by Whole Foods and grab a puck of Herban Cowboy to see if it could possibly be worse.

C&E Nomad soap, just couldn't make a protective lather form it. The cream on the other hand is really nice.

These threads crop up from time to time. Williams comes up a lot, but a lot of guys swear by it. Arko gets mentioned (primarily because of the scent, the lather is foolproof). I've yet to see anyone defend Caswell-Massey. It simply DOES NOT make usable lather. Period.

Top Bottom