Thread: Ern Wald-Solingen straight looking to be honed by a pro...suggestions

Images

Default Ern Wald-Solingen straight looking to be honed by a pro...suggestions

Thanks for Phil (luvmysuper), I have an Ern Wald-Solingen straight round point 4/8 or 5/8 in the mail. Since I am brand new to straight razors, he suggested I get this one professionally honed. He said I could probably get some recommendations from you straight razor experts. I'm in Greenville, SC...not sure if anyone knows anyone local here, but if not I'm fine with mailing it out.
    What else do you recommend for newbies? I'm not sure if I should buy all the gear, or just try the razor first to see if I like it. Suggestions please! Thank you.
    Last edited by retrolike; 06-06-2012 at 05:50 PM.
    Ben - Chicago sports fan, Proud Dad of twins

Images

You will need a strop. Look at http://www.whippeddog.com/ and get his poormans strop.
    Rick

Images

Images

Check out.... GemStarCustoms
    Bob - Mergress XL, Shavemac Natural Horn

Images

Send it to me, I'll hone it for ya. You pay for shipping both ways. PM me if interested.
    Rick

Greenville, eh? I'm in Columbia. If you want to make it down here I'll sit with you, hone it up, show you to shave and get you a set of lapping films to get your on your way should it need a touch up. I don't have any strops...gave those all away, but I'd pick one up from whippeddog as suggested. I'm no honing pro but I'll get you shaving. Just a thought for a "local" suggestion.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickboone1 View Post
    Greenville, eh? I'm in Columbia. If you want to make it down here I'll sit with you, hone it up, show you to shave and get you a set of lapping films to get your on your way should it need a touch up. I don't have any strops...gave those all away, but I'd pick one up from whippeddog as suggested. I'm no honing pro but I'll get you shaving. Just a thought for a "local" suggestion.
    Nice offer Rick.
    Rick

I don't know if I am supposed to be talking to you because of your avatar but I would take Rick up on his offer, it is very generous. If I was near you I would set you up with a nice piece of concrete to hone it up on.
    Matt

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hig789 View Post
    I don't know if I am supposed to be talking to you because of your avatar but I would take Rick up on his offer, it is very generous. If I was near you I would set you up with a nice piece of concrete to hone it up on.
    LOL...I'm one of the few Cub fans that do not hate the Cardinals. Believe it or not, I actually thinks the Cards have one of the best organizations in pro-sports. I am a hater of the Brewers. Anyhow I send a PM to Wid...I'm going to see what he can do for me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickboone1 View Post
    Thanks for the offer, I'm not planning to be in Columbia for quite a while. I'm going to sent it to Wid and I'll post pics when I get it back.

Images

Don't send your razor to Rick, all he is going to do is steal your scales for his nekked razor!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by superbleu View Post
    Don't send your razor to Rick, all he is going to do is steal your scales for his nekked razor!!!
    Only if it was a Crown and Sword LOL.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by retrolike View Post
    LOL...I'm one of the few Cub fans that do not hate the Cardinals. Believe it or not, I actually thinks the Cards have one of the best organizations in pro-sports. I am a hater of the Brewers. Anyhow I send a PM to Wid...I'm going to see what he can do for me.
    Okay I can live with that. It is a mutual hate for the Brewers.
    Matt