Thread: Using two blades at once?

Default Using two blades at once?

I did a quick search but couldnt hit on the right key words for this question. My experience getting the Schick Platinum Plus blades unstuck made me wonder what would happen if two were stuck together and inserted into the razor? I am guessing lots of cuts?

Images

Images

I suspect you would immediately know something was wrong when it felt like you were shaving with a kitchen knife.

Quote Originally Posted by kudadi View Post
    I did a quick search but couldnt hit on the right key words for this question. My experience getting the Schick Platinum Plus blades unstuck made me wonder what would happen if two were stuck together and inserted into the razor? I am guessing lots of cuts?
    Member of the BOTOC, Alliance of Merkur ~Gil, U.S. Navy Retired (1984)~

It is generally considered to be a waste of a blade. I tried it a couple of times with different razors (Tech and Slim). I could not feel any discernible difference in the roughness of the shave or the closeness of the shave resulting from using the two blades vs one blade.
    Saving money? No, I said that was my Shaving money. You can never have enough razors... until they overflow your shave den. Then it's time for a bigger den.

Quote Originally Posted by SiBurning View Post
    Actually, I think you'd have to shave painfully slowly, because of the close spacing between blades. Which would increase the PPUS (Pain per Unit Shave) factor.

I hadn't seen this article before, and love it. It appeared in an applied math teaching publication, but it's worthy of submission to JIR (Journal of Irreproducible Results). Serious analysis combined with humor and silliness.

They come up with an optimal velocity of 0.036 m/s, which is about 1.4 inch/sec, but freely admit they were more or less guessing at some of the skin elasticity factors. Their range of typical user velocities is 0.8-8.0 inch/sec, but mine is about 1.5-3.0 - apparently erring faster is better, which I can believe.

Now the real and larger question is whether the "hysteresis effect" actually works in the real world, with all the added complexities they recognize. This has motivated me to dig out one of my cartridge razors and give this a trial with my improved skills. See new thread on the General Shaving forum.

Thanks Steve!
    Last edited by woodfluter; 06-07-2012 at 02:28 PM.

Stunt Shaving! Don't try this at home!
    Good post, I got a giggle out of the idea of it!

Deep South, USA. Between Muscle Shoals and Sand Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by kudadi View Post
    The correct keyword search is "why?"

I have never tried it but, for some reason, it sounds very painful to me. :)

Images

Exclamation

kudadi"
    Yikes...don't do it Man...or there will be blood.

“A razor [blade] can’t be sharpened on a piece of velvet”. Author Unknown
    Last edited by The Count of Merkur Cristo; 06-09-2012 at 08:59 AM.
    Chris ~ Order of Pinaud, Head & Face Latherers Club United, Alliance of Merkur, League of Extraordinary Mild Shavers, Voskhod Comrades Club, Brotherhood of the Boar, Foxhole Shavers Club & The VDH Society!

Images

Someone starts a thread about once a year that starts out "I couldn't figure out why my normal routine tore my face to shreds" and ends ".... then I realized that two blades had got stuck together in the dispenser."
    Just call me Chris.

Images

It's all about sharpness, you want your edge to be thinnest as possible to cut through the whiskers. If you stuck 2 edges together, the 'Edge' will be thicker and whiskers will give you more resistance.
    Las Vegas is the only place I know where money really talks. It says, Goodbye. - Sinatra

I'm with Gillette, I'm taking 5 blades at once!! Look how improved and scientific I am now!! ;)
    BOTOC, Arkolyte, TOFLAC-U, Muhle R41 (2010)- Merkur Progress, Merkur 37 Slant, Simpsons Wee Scot lover,Omega Pro boar, Arko & Gada face latherer. SUPPORT B&B BUCK A SALE.

You would want to shim them apart so both blades would get a chance to cut.
    "A noble heart embiggens the smallest man." (Jebediah Springfield)