What's new

Rhodium Re-plated Fatboy

Does he do replates in gold? I have a Aristocrat that could sure use a replate.

Yes he does 24 kt gold. Here is another one of mine in gold.

$DSC_0063.jpg

I just got my fatboy in the mail today. Looks great, but I was thinking of getting rhodium plating if I like it. Do you find any benefits besides the aesthetic from rhodium plating? Does soap residue not adhere as much on the rhodium as it does on the nickel?

Rhodium is a harder metal, does not oxidize, and has a mirror finish. Nickel is brighter. Dave's does a bright nickel finish that is shinier than the satin finish of the vintage Gillettes. Side by side, nickel is brighter; I guess it's a matter of personal preference. Also note that Dave has a dark nickel. He can do a two-tone pattern if you want.

Wow, he did an absolutely brilliant job! I imagine it takes a fair amount of expertise to plate razors with moving parts, but that couldn't look better if it had just rolled off the production line. I just ordered my first Fatboy from a seller in Minnesota, but it looks like I might be sending it back to the States as soon as it arrives! :w00t:

Wow, he did an absolutely brilliant job! I imagine it takes a fair amount of expertise to plate razors with moving parts, but that couldn't look better if it had just rolled off the production line. I just ordered my first Fatboy from a seller in Minnesota, but it looks like I might be sending it back to the States as soon as it arrives! :w00t:

I bet you could find a craftsman closer to you that could do the job. That being said, there's no one better than Dave. Maybe just as good, but not better.

Question for you fellas who know about replating, is the razor disassembled for the replate and then reassembled? So if there are slight mechanical imperfections they may be fixed as well? Beautiful replate on a great razor btw OP :)
I just read the whole post and saw that Dave does black replates too. A black fatboy sure sounds bada**!

Last edited:
Question for you fellas who know about replating, is the razor disassembled for the replate and then reassembled? So if there are slight mechanical imperfections they may be fixed as well? Beautiful replate on a great razor btw OP :)

I asked Dave a similar question, well more on the mechanics and function but I think his reply answers your question as well.

"Well all pieces are put in a strip tank first. Polished, The mechanic's are checked and Fixed when possible. And then plated in your choice of finish.. Numbers are then painted and final polish and prep.. "

He states all the pieces, so I am assuming disassembly, Also if you look at pics he has many two tone razors which means the parts would need to be replated separately.

Thanks for the info. I have a fatboy in need of replating and I just checked out that custom two tone one, amazing!
I asked Dave a similar question, well more on the mechanics and function but I think his reply answers your question as well.

"Well all pieces are put in a strip tank first. Polished, The mechanic's are checked and Fixed when possible. And then plated in your choice of finish.. Numbers are then painted and final polish and prep.. "

He states all the pieces, so I am assuming disassembly, Also if you look at pics he has many two tone razors which means the parts would need to be replated separately.

I read on one of our threads a while back that the original Gillettes were plated fully assembled during manufacture. So if it can get wet, it can be plated apparently. I have also read that the prep work (stripping off the original plating) is a very important part of the process. I have three re-plated TTO's and I see NO DIFFERENCE in the mechanics what so ever compared to an original. I don't think the plating is thick enough to effect the mechanics. I know Dave lubes all the DE's before he returns them. If anything, I believe the smoother finish actually makes razor shave better than before. I feel it is better than new. My 2 cents worth. I own 5 re-plated razors, with 2 more in the "shop" to be re-plated.

I've gotten TTO plated in nickel many times and it doesn't have to be taken apart. The only catch is that when it's wired and hung for plating, silo doors need to be secured that there's no flapping in the tank. This causes issues with the electro contact and makes for a sloppy finish. Also, care must be taken that razors are carefully hung correcty with the conductive material that hangs the razor to avoid blemishes from where the razor is being secured from.

One of the reason's I always feel confident recommending Dave...his work is top notch!! looks great!!! Another BOTOC , elderberry99 just got two NEW done by him.....stilling waiting for franks pics!!

Would love to see a few more pics....one of the silo doors, closed, and one silo doors open!

Just noticed your last remark. Don't worry, the silo doors are perfect. The razor is cherry.

Does anyone know if replating hurts the value from a collectors point of view? As with anything else, I'm sure there are some that want original and some that don't care but generally speaking is it cost effective to have a Fat Boy replated just for resale value? I have an extra kicking around that I'm looking to sell to buy more! :)

What a great replating job! I've seen a couple where the new plating is overly thick, causing the numbers and knurling to have curves instead of sharp edge. Yours is about perfect. Schwweeeet razor!

Does anyone know if replating hurts the value from a collectors point of view? As with anything else, I'm sure there are some that want original and some that don't care but generally speaking is it cost effective to have a Fat Boy replated just for resale value? I have an extra kicking around that I'm looking to sell to buy more! :)

My opinion is that it would in general hurt the collectors value; esp. if it was in excellent condition to begin with. In general though, you would have a piece re-plated that is either (a) fairly common, or (b) has a worn finish.

Top Bottom