What's new

Proraso Sandalwood & Shea butter: first lather, review & pics

Got my tube of this in the mail today. The smell really is hard to describe. Very earthy, and quite pleasant. Looking forward to my first shave with it tomorrow morning.

Agreed - just got mine and cannot wait to use it in the morning. Fantastic scent.

I picked up a tube of both the new green and now the red Proraso and used both on back to back days. The red definitely smells like real sandalwood, so be prepared for that. It's very slick and lathers/performs better than the new green Proraso, at least to me. The new red is a fantastic cream and if you like the scent, you ought to be ecstatic about this one...a home run for sure. By the way, I seem to also detect a subtle earthy (read dirt) scent in the new green Proraso. Has anyone else noticed this?

Yup I notice that subtle earthly, even more of a sandalwood scent when I first apply the new green. It goes away quickly though.

I picked up a tube of both the new green and now the red Proraso and used both on back to back days. The red definitely smells like real sandalwood, so be prepared for that. It's very slick and lathers/performs better than the new green Proraso, at least to me. The new red is a fantastic cream and if you like the scent, you ought to be ecstatic about this one...a home run for sure. By the way, I seem to also detect a subtle earthy (read dirt) scent in the new green Proraso. Has anyone else noticed this?

I lathered up with this for the first time last night. I don't have lots of experience with different soaps/creams, and this is certainly my first sandlewood scent, but I loved it. I would describe the smell as subtle, organic, and masculine. I very much enjoyed it. I'll be keeping a tube of this around for sure.

Does this new Sandalwood cream have any menthol in it? That was what always shied me away from Proraso in the past, I do not like mentholated products.

I'll also tip my hat to this strange new Proraso.

Proraso green was my very first shaving cream... Bought at a drugstore alongside an Omega boar brush. Learned to lather with it and the smell of Proraso green always takes me back to my first wet shave. That said, having a coarse beard, I found Proraso green was not my preferable soap and I moved on to others.

That said, I noticed last week that Fendrihan had a new Proraso... With shea butter, and sandalwood! And designed for coarse beard? SOLD!!

Lather is great. Slick, stiff and long lasting allowing my feather blades to slice through even a weeks worth of growth with no problem. And the smell... Oh how I love the smell! I remember smelling cologne sandalwood for the first time thinking what a departure it was from my expectations and prior experience of sandalwood oils.... Not this though, this is awesome. Subtle, yet lingering and solid.

I think I may have found a new solid addition to my cream rotation...

Just tried some this morning. Great lather, nice and slick, and smells amazing...definitely worth a try for those that like the smell of AOS Sandalwood...to me, they smell almost the same.

Just tried some this morning. Great lather, nice and slick, and smells amazing...definitely worth a try for those that like the smell of AOS Sandalwood...to me, they smell almost the same.

+1 on all but the smell, I like the smell just fine but it smells nothing like AOS. AOS is more of a cologne type scent. The Proraso red is more of a true sandalwood but with a lot of earthy, soapy smell to it. Great cream and with the Shea butter in it moisturizes very well but to me nothing like AOS.

I am not sure about anyone else, but I find this stuff smells a little spicy/peppery after washing off. Otherwise it's fairly pure sandalwood and I LOVE it for the price. It's now my standard recommendation to anyone starting out, the Green is great but the menthol traps young players.

I think the Shea Butter is what makes it a little more thirsty also. Otherwise I have had 4 great shaves with it since I received it. Very happy.

I found this cream after so much effort and research (it is easier to find abroad than in Italy and several Italian Forum have complained about this thing with proraso ...)i bouht it for 1.75€
I gave the first snort and I must say that is not bad .... at times it was a smell like the green pipe, and sometimes something like roots, earth, wood consumed ... so the sandal.
I need to try it and see how it is done thoroughly and scents emanating

IMO it most definitely does NOT smell like authentic sandalwood. I have both sandalwood wood chips and some high grade essential oils here at home, so trust me, I know how it's supposed to smell.

I didn't care much for it, it lathers great, but I think I'll stick to the menthol version after I finish this tube.

i prefered the mentol version only for hotday because create a big ice-effect....so you are fresh when shaving:biggrin1:
but in " normal" day i dont' prefered it

You mean to say that, unlike almost every other sandalwood product available, it actually smells like the real thing. Not high-end crystalline Mysore oil mind you, but it's the real thing and exhibits similar characteristics. The fact that Proraso was able to swing this is amazing IMO.

It doesn't have a discernible cologne-inspired sandalwood scent, you're right. So, cologne-inspired sandalwood fans should avoid it. Sandalwood oil fans will love it.

I received the Proraso sandalwood and love the smell. do you know of any colognes or aftershaves that smell like it? AKA like real sandalwood.

Top Bottom