What's new

3-piece Slant?

Is there any manufacturer out there that makes a 3-piece slant?

While I love my 37C, I just wish I could attach my weber bulldog handle to it (or any other handle). It's my humble opinion that the Merkur HD/slant handles leave something to be desired...

Merkur offered a 3-piece travel slant at some point that has a head you can use with any normal threaded handle. I picked mine up at an antique dealer. The last one I saw go on eBay was about $45. Here is a thread from a while back on mine: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...t-in-its-boxess?highlight=merkur+slant+travel

I had one of these and sold it (still regret that stupid move). Mine was the Hoffritz variety. They go about $40-$50. Not super rare, but not super common either.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Technically, it is a 3-piece but not in the conventional understanding. When the head is unscrewed, if you pull on the end knob, the handle will separate. Don't worry though, you can just push it back in. Don't ask me how I know :whistling:

Merkur offered a 3-piece travel slant at some point that has a head you can use with any normal threaded handle. I picked mine up at an antique dealer. The last one I saw go on eBay was about $45. Here is a thread from a while back on mine: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...t-in-its-boxess?highlight=merkur+slant+travel

Oh how I wish I could get my hands on one. Ebay is a vast wasteland for slants, it seems.

Technically, it is a 3-piece but not in the conventional understanding. When the head is unscrewed, if you pull on the end knob, the handle will separate. Don't worry though, you can just push it back in. Don't ask me how I know :whistling:

Yeah, I discovered the same not long after I got it... too bad I can't pull hard enough and remove the bottom plate of the head.:idea:

I ***may*** have a...few :blushing:

I recently acquired 12 yes... twelve NOS early Merkur slants complete in cardboard boxes with bakelite cases.

$merkur_1.jpg$merkur_2.jpg$merkur_3.jpg

Just waiting for them to get here - should be next week. They all have stress cracks in the handles - two fairly severe, the rest tiny.

My plan is to try my hand at turning some wood handles for the bad ones, keep a couple good ones and maybe sell the rest. Not really sure yet as it really was an impulse buy. hard to pass up 12 NOS vintage merkur slants for the price. It was a steal!

I'll post info in the de forum once they arrive and i decide what to do. I believe these **may** be the old 3 piece type like in this post ( http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/74283-WTB-Merkur-3-piece-vintage-slant ) but I'll just have to wait and see :)

They look like the one I have and that B&B member "Chessman" was selling 2-3 years ago. They do not have 2-piece heads. Like the modern Slants, the bottom portion is molded into the handle. But unlike the modern Slant, the handle insert isn't held in by a compression collar...it comes right out when you disassemble the razor. So in that sense, it's a true 3-piece.

They look like the one I have and that B&B member "Chessman" was selling 2-3 years ago. They do not have 2-piece heads. Like the modern Slants, the bottom portion is molded into the handle. But unlike the modern Slant, the handle insert isn't held in by a compression collar...it comes right out when you disassemble the razor. So in that sense, it's a true 3-piece.

Looked at those posts and I think you're right. How do you like it? A good shaver? I have one old Hoffritz - my one and only slant and I just love it.

I think these will look amazing with a nice lathe turned dark wood handle with some texturing / knurling. I have big plans for these :)

Would you mind posting a pic of yours disassembled? I'd like to see so I can confirm a couple of things in my plans before they arrive. No worries if not.

I like it. The plating on them is different. The ones Chessman was selling were purported to be NOS (mine certainly looked like it) but several had flaws like cracked plating. The white material on the handle was suggested by Merkur to be some sort of silver-ized coating. I don't know if that's right or not. Maybe they meant the plating on the head, who knows?

And yeah. It shaves nicely, just handles a bit differently than the HD Slant.

I'll get it out and post a crappy cellphone pic for you. :001_tongu

Attachments

• $Slant.jpg
    $Slant.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Perfect! Many thanks!

That is actually the kind that I was hoping them to be. Similar to my hoffritz but with the pop out bottom part of the handle. Should be really simple to turn a nice brass tube re-inforced wicked wood handle for those. Can't wait!

Yeah that white coating was on my Hoffritz as well and was indeed a silver treatment of some kind. Or so I have read anyways.

/Cheers,

Rob

Merkur used to label the fixed-plate three-piece razors with "long-threaded", vs "short-threaded" for the Tech-style three-piece design. I think that is a good nomenclature.

How do these vintage slants hold up to modern production like the Merkur 37 and 39C? I've been sort of curious about a slant but a bit put off by the price but if they shave as well and are cheaper I might give it a shot!

Ace, I was watching that auction. If you are selling any of them I'd love to buy one.

Also, rather than wood, you might swing by a machine shop, I bet it's be a pretty quick part to knock out.

Last edited:
Ace, I was watching that auction. If you are selling any of them I'd love to buy one.

Also, rather than wood, you might swing by a machine shop, I bet it's be a pretty quick part to knock out.
Definitely be selling at least a few. I will keep you in mind.

Yes I will be exploring some machined handles as options for sure. Hoping to add some new life to the ones that have the worst cracks.

Annnd, I may be interested in one as well.

Easiest repair possible:http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...ked-Barrel-Coles-Slant?highlight=Coles+repair

I still have some tubing left over (like about 2.75 feet :001_rolle). Rockwestcomposites sells scrap pieces on ebay. Just use a Dremel with a diamond cut-off wheel, and wear goggles and a respirator, while cutting- this stuff is really if you breathe it in. THis is a straight(tight) press-fit, ala factory spec, but w/o the danger of cracking.

Edit- consider a trade-deal? Your worst handled, and I'll cut 6-9 tubes to fit for you...? Shoot me a pm, if you might be interested in hashing something out.

Another thing I thought about- if you bought a stainless male-female threaded adaptor(add about 1" to the thread shaft, if they are true 3 piece), you could make a Big Fellow-sized slant, without gaining a ton of weight.

Last edited:
Top Bottom