Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a good source for 90% C3H7OH (rubbing alcohol)

FL (redneck riviera), NC (western), AL (east central)

Default Need a good source for 90% C3H7OH (rubbing alcohol)

Most of the isopropyl alcohol that you see in stores is 70% concentration. Occasionally you will find the 90% concentration, and I usually buy a bottle or two when I find the 90%.

However, I am running low on my 90% and have been looking to resupply. I have checked Wally World, Target, CVS, Walgreen, grocery stores, etc. but have not found any 90%. Is it still being sold? Have you seen any for sale anywhere lately? If you know of a vendor who regularly stocks it, please let me know where you last found it.

Thanks
    Mitch

Rite-Aid in my area carries it.
    Respect the Rub!

Quote Originally Posted by RobAtSGH View Post
    Rite-Aid in my area carries it.
    Thanks for the quick response, but the nearest Rite-Aid to me is in Montgomery, AL which is 60 miles away.

Mitch

Plano TX, but I wish I was in the mountains

The bottle I have, had to have been purchased at one of the stores you mentioned. But it's been a couple years.
    Jp - Horse power is how hard you hit the wall. Torque is how far you drag it behind you

Quote Originally Posted by Prince View Post
    The bottle I have, had to have been purchased at one of the stores you mentioned. But it's been a couple years.
    That's been my experience too. I think I last found it in Wally World, but it was a couple of years ago. That's the reason I stock up when I find it, you never know when you will find it again.

Mitch

Images

If you're using it to clean razors, I believe the 70% version is actually MORE effective than the 90% version.
    Just call me Chris.

My wife finds it on occasion at Publix. She uses it to make the scented fuel for her scent wicks or what ever they are called. You burn the wick for dbout 5 minutes then blow it out. Smells up the room for a couple of hours.
    Sometimes, it ain't the speed but the direction...
    Здесь был Вася

Finisher [URL="http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/322092-2013-Shave-Purchase-Sabbatical-Gentlemanly-Restraint"]2013 - Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Gentlemanly Insanity[/URL]!

Images

Images

Maybe this is a US regulation issue of some sort. In Canada we have it as an option at the grocery store, not to mention drug stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Go West Young Man View Post
    If you're using it to clean razors, I believe the 70% version is actually MORE effective than the 90% version.
    I prefer 70%, so I don't really care either way, but out of interest, how is 70% more effective than 90%, more/stronger = better, right?
    -- Sal -- Razors don't shave people. People shave people!
    There are 3 critical types of life moments: Times when we should be enamoured of the finer details, and times we should ignore the minutia.

Quote Originally Posted by Go West Young Man View Post
    I don't know why 70% would be more effective than 90%, you are just getting 20% more water with the 70%. You need a minimum concentration of 40% for antiseptic use. It seems to me that 90% would be better for cleaning anything where you were looking for antiseptic quality.

Mitch

Images

70% is better than 90% for killing stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by inspiringK View Post
    Maybe this is a US regulation issue of some sort. In Canada we have it as an option at the grocery store, not to mention drug stores.

I prefer 70%, so I don't really care either way, but out of interest, how is 70% more effective than 90%, more/stronger = better, right?
    Check the price difference on the 90% and the 70% and see how much you are paying for the extra water.

Wow! 99%, I have never seen 99% on a store shelf. The highest concentration I have seen is the 90%. I would buy a pint of 99% if I could find it. It would be great for cleaning my "new" used razors.

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by bhorsoft View Post
    My wife finds it on occasion at Publix. She uses it to make the scented fuel for her scent wicks or what ever they are called. You burn the wick for dbout 5 minutes then blow it out. Smells up the room for a couple of hours.
    We do have a Publix, but I rarely do the grocery shopping. My wife goes to Publix for certain items (mostly bread). I will get her to check and see if the local store has the 90% next shopping trip.

Thanks
    Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by sempra View Post
    I don't know why 70% would be more effective than 90%, you are just getting 20% more water with the 70%. You need a minimum concentration of 40% for antiseptic use. It seems to me that 90% would be better for cleaning anything where you were looking for antiseptic quality.

Mitch
    70% is judged as the optimum strength for bactericidal action. Less than 70% has less killing action and more than 70% may dehydrate the bugs without killing them. :)

Images

More than 75% alcohol evaporates before it has a chance to dehydrate the bugs. In labs, they tend to use 50% bleach, 70-75% alcohol, or UV light to clean the bench tops.

Last edited by Patman27; 06-04-2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: the more you know...
    -Patrick-
    'Absorb what is useful; Discard what is not; Add what is uniquely your own.'

Yep - I only use 91% for water displacement, not sanitation.
    Respect the Rub!

Quote Originally Posted by ggamyang View Post
    70% is judged as the optimum strength for bactericidal action. Less than 70% has less killing action and more than 70% may dehydrate the bugs without killing them. :)
    Well I will save my money! 70% it will be. I guess my medical friend who recommended that I get 90% didn't know what she was talking about!

Quote Originally Posted by RobAtSGH View Post
    Yep - I only use 91% for water displacement, not sanitation.
    Which reminds me of a funny story, a friend flew model airplanes. He had a friend who raced cars, and used alcohol for fuel in the race cars. My model airplane friend wanted some "fuel grade" alcohol to make model airplane fuel (mix it with castor oil). His racing friend sent him a 55 GALLON DRUM of fuel alcohol! Now 55 gallons of model airplane fuel is a LOT of fuel. Long before he could use up the alcohol making model fuel, it had absorbed so much water it had become unusable. Boy, was he torqued! All that alcohol ruined.

Mitch

Images

i've seen it, as well as even stronger. in canada, SDM and WalMart carry it, but you have to ask the pharmacist and they just want to make sure you aren't not a delinquent and gonna drink it.
    All evidence has been buried,
    All tapes have been erased,
    But your footsteps give you away.