What's new

Any advice for a new bicyclist?

Legion

Staff member
Stop your bike before attempting to answer your phone. Guess how I worked that one out...

Like someone already said you can go crazy with all the accessories for bikes, you can get trip computers which track your rout via GPS, they even tell you the incline of the hills and everything. Though if you don't want to go that crazy I would recommend at least getting a computer which told you your cadence. Cadence is probably the most important measurement for exercising via cycling. You want to target a cadence of about 90 and use your gears around that so you're putting out a low-medium effort (depending on what you're trying to achieve).

I'll also echo a few other points, get some padded bike nicks, make sure your seat is the right height and get some cycling shoes.

+2 on hydration but for a newbie use a Camelbak. Looking down trying to grab a bottle is not good for you or oncoming traffic.

Not sure if you are near an outdoor store like REI but they often basic bike maintenance classes for free. Your LBS may offer the same.

Join a group ride at your LBS. Riding by yourself is fun for solace but riding with others is good socially.

Last edited:
Great tips in here as to bike maintenance, safety and preparedness. YMMV (ha!), but for me I don't find a need for any bike computers, special shoes, shorts, or flamboyent jerseys. I very much enjoy hopping on my bike and hitting the trails, paved or otherwise, as often as possible (helmet always!). Makes me feel like a kid again. I'm very fortunate that my county has an awesome network of interconnected trails. Here's my bugaboo: there are an awful lot of reckless road riders out there, and frankly I resent the fact that they put me and my family in danger. A twisty, hilly, narrow 35mph two-lane road (one lane each way), with absolutely no shoulder, is no place for a bike rider. Sorry for the rant, but I see it around here all the time. I even saw a guy doing this last week with NO HELMET! I'm fine with the packs of riders who ride together after work or on the weekends in one lane of a four lane road, or on wide two lane roads. For the most part they are respectful, and once in a while they even obey the rules of the road :001_tongu

First, you are a "cyclist," not a "bicyclist!":001_smile

My best advice is to wear compression shorts under your shorts. Something like Under Armor or the "generic" version that Starter makes that you can find at Walmart for half the price. It holds everything in place and you won't get chaffed. Also, it breathes very well and wicks away all the moisture. I can then wear any type of shorts, that allow free range of motion, over the top. This way you get all the comfort of bike shorts without looking a little silly.

I am also a big fan of gloves when cycling. I always wear full coverage gloves. They help by lowering vibrations through the handlebars, they allow you to keep a firm grip on the handle bars even when you are sweating and if you fall, you can save your hands a whole lot of damage. Ask me how I know!

And as said above by several posters, tire pressure and chain lube. I oil/lube my chain after every couple of rides. It makes it much easier to change gears and you make sure gunk isn't getting in the chain and gears.

+1 Helmet, +1 proper bike fittment, +1 water bottle and bike shorts.

I would only add chamois cream to prevent chafing (ouch) and becoming friendly with your bike shop. Also, take care of your chain and replace it as needed. It is a wear item. By not doing this I ended up buying a chain and a whole new rear cassette for my mountain bike.

First, you are a "cyclist," not a "bicyclist!":001_smile

Oo that's a good one! Though I'd hate to be confused for one of those damn rascally unicyclists...

The tips and pointers have greatly reduced the learning curve, thank you all very much!
Here are a few things that have become part of the routine: Bike shorts under regular shorts are working great, tire pressure check/top off before every ride is part of the system, and a box of chain cleaning tools and goo has just arrived so I can keep the moving parts happy. It's amazing how much vibration is absorbed by a good pair of gel gloves! Oh, and I've been using my rear blinky light during daytime commutes in conjunction with a crazy bright yellow camelbak for increased visibility. Got a mirror attached to my helmet which greatly reduces automobile paranoia. Have been working to increase my stamina by commuting on the bike twice a week (summer session at university), with the aim of using the bike as main transport for the upcoming full semester in August. Finally for security there's a big ol Kryptonite U-lock for the rear tire/frame as well as a beefy cable threaded through the seat, rack, front tire, on top of the fact that there is a secure bicycle compound on campus, fenced in with good bike racks, cameras and keycard access.

So far I've dropped about 9lbs and feel great, so this cycling thing should be a keeper. Thanks again everyone for your input.

Some great advice here and I'm not going to repeat it. I usually ride a mountain bike but i have done some road riding so here's a few little things.
You don't have to shave your legs to be a real cyclist
Cars are hard and will hurt you all drivers are out to get ya
Pavement is hard and can rip your skin and break your bones
Focus Grasshopper, when riding concentrate on the ride and staying safe not the 'local scenery'
9 pounds is good well done:thumbup:

I'd find the time to go out without a bag or those very heavy security locks, just to feel the freedom. It's funny isn't it, that people will spend a fortune on a bike because it's really light, then end up buying the heaviest lock they can, because their bike is really expensive, thus cancelling out the point of getting the lighter bike in the first place!

I won't echo all the great pointers you've got here.

IMO: the best way to learn things, is to ride with others. Find some local charity rides. They're tons of fun. For $25 you'll get a beautiful route, instant friends, a t-shirt, and snacks. Along the way you'll see and meet many other riders. Advice and war stories will abound. They'll catch your bad habits and teach you how to ride safer and more efficiently. As you're swept along with the pack, you'll find yourself doing big miles far easier than you thought. It's a rolling support group that kills calories wholesale.

Man there are allot of bikers on here. I used to commute by bike when my work was an easy 4 miles now its 18 so I just ride for pleasure now. Never trust a cable lock. I have seen security tape of my own bike being stolen that had a new 5 star rated (by the company) cable lock with no tools just brute strength and no concern for the bike took less than a minute to break (before you ask I tried to get a copy of the video but couldn't). Don't wear a backpack on your way to school get a rear carrier rack you'll sweat less and feel fresher when you get to your destination. If you're like me it takes a few minutes for the sweat glands to calm down after a ride, don't go straight to class from the bike give yourself 10-15 minutes post ride to change cloths and cool down if you can't shower wipes and paper towels work well to clean you up so that you don't smell like a workout.

What a great thread, worthy of a solid

BUMP!

The husband of the lady who watches my daughter has 2 bikes, and he's looking to sell one. As luck would have it, I just asked my wife for a bike for Christmas, and she's quite keen on the idea. His is a Cannondale, though I'm not sure the model. It's in his shed, but I'll get to take a look at it, and give it a test ride this evening.

I'm really geeked out about beginning a riding regimen, and this thread has been SUPER helpful in identifying accessories that I'll need. I haven't ridden a bike since I was a teenager, and back then, I never knew the first thing about regular maintenance (though I did know how to fix flats).

I know Miles (the OP) hasn't been active here since February, but thank you sir for starting this great thread!

What a great thread, worthy of a solid

BUMP!

The husband of the lady who watches my daughter has 2 bikes, and he's looking to sell one. As luck would have it, I just asked my wife for a bike for Christmas, and she's quite keen on the idea. His is a Cannondale, though I'm not sure the model. It's in his shed, but I'll get to take a look at it, and give it a test ride this evening.

I'm really geeked out about beginning a riding regimen, and this thread has been SUPER helpful in identifying accessories that I'll need. I haven't ridden a bike since I was a teenager, and back then, I never knew the first thing about regular maintenance (though I did know how to fix flats).

I know Miles (the OP) hasn't been active here since February, but thank you sir for starting this great thread!

Hi Jessy - nice to see a recent post on this thread. As you get ready to start riding again I cannot over-emphasize the value of wearing a helmet. All riders eventually fall. I've done a lot of long distance riding and training and have landed on my head twice. Thank goodness for the helmet because they could easily have been life-altering injuries. The scary thing about those falls is that no one was with me or around me - no dogs, cars, little children, or other hazards that can suddenly cut you off. In both cases it was a fluke and something I could not have predicted - and I am a careful rider.

The second thing I'd mention is that there are a number of good sites out there with loads of bike accessories and equipment at good prices. I have no particular dog in this fight and I hope this will not be seen as promotion but Nashbar and Performancebike are two that are worth bookmarking. There are others and I'd be happy to share my list in a PM.

Happy riding!

I've wondered how many of the avid cyclists here use Nashbar.com. My sister and one of her riding buddies use Nashbar for much of their gear and I have found some great deals there. Just ordered my first pair of cycling shorts for less than $20 shipped. It is annoying to get daily e-mails from them, but the 75% promos are tough to beat.

Last edited:
Ride solo before joining even a "beginner" group ride. A few of my buddies have fallen out of the pack during beginner bike rides and I'd turn back to see them winded about half a mile away. Be familiar with your bike and sure of your beginner skill because during group rides it's much different when you're 3 inches away from someone else's tire.

Stay away from the snooty areas, I.E where all the "avid" cyclist cycle. In the bay area, that would be a place like PaloAlto hills or los gatos/saratoga, they tend to be really annoying and enjoy finger pointing/making fun of new riders because he has .100th of a millimeter of leg hair.

Speaking of leg hair, trim it really short or shave it. I trim mine because being middle easter+shaving leg hairs=baaaaaddddd time.
make sure they are nice and short because if you get a boo boo while riding, it makes clean up much easier.

Ride solo before joining even a "beginner" group ride. A few of my buddies have fallen out of the pack during beginner bike rides and I'd turn back to see them winded about half a mile away. Be familiar with your bike and sure of your beginner skill because during group rides it's much different when you're 3 inches away from someone else's tire.

Stay away from the snooty areas, I.E where all the "avid" cyclist cycle. In the bay area, that would be a place like PaloAlto hills or los gatos/saratoga, they tend to be really annoying and enjoy finger pointing/making fun of new riders because he has .100th of a millimeter of leg hair.

Speaking of leg hair, trim it really short or shave it. I trim mine because being middle easter+shaving leg hairs=baaaaaddddd time.
make sure they are nice and short because if you get a boo boo while riding, it makes clean up much easier.

While I agree that one needs to be comfortable on the bike before joining a group; having a group to ride with can be a great motivator as well as a way to learn a lot about your bike, riding it comfortably and effectively in a relatively short amount of time. There's also no way to learn how to ride in a group, without actually riding in a group... so there's that. Additionally, riding with other people can help you gain confidence, which is imperative to riding a bicycle. Outside of all that, group rides are a great way to learn good riding routes in your area as well as meet like minded people. Sure some groups are not great, but you dont have to go back to that ride if you dont like the group or the ride itself.

Speaking of routes; avid cyclists tend to know what they're doing and tend to know of the good places to ride. If you're riding the same places they are, then you're probably in the right spot. I ride my bike a lot and I can't say that I've ever encountnered another cyclist who has made fun of my leg hair. Sure, some cyclists might snicker at an ugly kit or thread bare shorts, but I doubt you'll have a problem with the bullying type of situation that seems to be suggested above.

While the lack of leg hair does make cleaning road rash slightly less uncomfortable (it's super uncomfortable, with or without hair), it is definitely not a prerequisite to riding your bike anor does it make you a cyclist.

Top Bottom