Inspired by a discussion with mharris127 at http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...La-Toja-Sticks I added a digital scale and a timer to the equipment for a leisurely Sunday shave. This may be a whole new level of shaving OCD - probably better for my skin than chasing BBS, though. The only real hazard was that, while juggling the loaded brush and the digital scale, I almost knocked over a vintage bottle of Lilac Vegetal. However, no injuries were reported.
As much as possible I tried to stick to my usual routine. But naturally taking all these measurements altered my shave. It added extra time, about a minute by my estimate, and probably had other minor effects. I believe the measurements are accurate to plus or minus 1-min for time, and 0.5-g for weight.
Elapsed Time (minutes) Event Simpson Colonel (g) Delta (g) Notes 0 dry 61 0 Brush last used 9 days ago. 1 damp 67 +6 Soaked, then gently squeezed to release water. 1 loaded 69.5 +2.5 Dip and twist with full-size tub Nancy Boy signature scent shaving cream, paraben formulation ca. 2009-12, more than 50% used. 5 lathered 74 +4.5 Face-lathered, adding drops of water to the breach as needed. Lather was fine after about 2-min, but I like more prep time. 7 completed pass 74 0 Checking for evaporative loss. Light rinse after this pass. 8 re-lathered 73 -1 10 completed pass 73 0 Light rinse after this pass. 11 re-lathered 72 -1 13 completed pass 72 0 No rinse just yet. 14 milked 68.5 -3.5 Gentle squeeze to remove lather from the brush. 15 cleaned 69 +0.5 Rinsed brush thoroughly, and removed as much water as possible with gentle shaking. 24 post-shower 68.5 -0.5 Brush was placed upright in a room away from shower, near an open screen door, at about 65-F and about 55% humidity. 90 later 68 -0.5 360 later 66 -3 Still drying out. 1440 later 63 -3 Still drying out. 2880 later 62 -1 Still drying out.
- My usual planning figure for creams is 1.5-g, but it seems I loaded over
4-g2-g. Some folks have said that Nancy Boy is less economical than other creams. That may be, or perhaps I just loaded more than I intended to. I am trying to use that stuff up.
- The brush absorbed 6-8 grams of water, most of which I conclude stayed in the hair and did not work into the lather. I made about 6-g of lather, plus whatever was on my face for the first pass: call it 8-g since I think I have more lather on my face for the first pass. So my lather was roughly
50%25% water, most of which I probably added while face-lathering.
- After the first pass, I used about 1-g per pass. It is surprising how much lather I squeezed out at the end. That core lather does not apply easily, and has to be milked out of the brush. I think it is wetter than the outer mantle of lather, too.
- The brush was a little heavier after a milked it than after I rinsed it. That makes sense: a given volume of residual lather would be lighter than the same volume of residual water.
- There seemed to be some early evaporative loss, then it seems to have slowed down. More data needed, but I expect this will be a decelerating process. I tend to let my brushes dry for 24-48 hr, and I find that I can still detect dampness in the heart of the brush after 24-hr.
Not sure when I will do this again, but feel free to add your own measurements to this thread. Some bowl-lathering measurements would be interesting, since you could weigh the bowl and brush together to get the total lather.