What's new

Acquisitions JUNE 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
a good little 1 stop shop for me...$20 brought home a Slim, English Tech (both minty), 2 pks of sealed blades and a red/white rubberset brush that will get re-knotted.

the slim was what got me most excited as it was just soap scum, not tarnish, pitting, brassing, rust...nothing, it's near MINT. then i find out the blades are decent as well.

$IMG_5206.jpg$IMG_5207.jpg$IMG_5208.jpg$IMG_5209.jpg

Last edited:
here is the handle, cleaned up, sanded up and ready for a knot, buffing and polish.

23mm opening, so i'll shove a 24mm TGN knot in there.

$IMG_5213.jpg$IMG_5214.jpg

I'm keeping it modest this month (so far!!:001_tt2:) with a couple packs of Schick injectors, a bottle of AV Ice Blue and a bottle of Stetson AS.

Last edited:
Is this one a Gillette?

Picked up what appears to be an old silver-plated Single-Ring last Thursday while visiting our eldest son upon the birth of our second granddaughter. We were away for the whole week for the big event. Later in the week my son and I got out of the house and went to an antique mall to see what might be found in the way of vintage razors along with antiquarian book bargains. The mall was mostly a bust; full of recent European imported furniture, 1950s-1980s junk, crafty items, and Readers Digest Condensed Books. It smelled of strong potpourri froo-froo and our ears were assaulted by gicky, techno, Euro-dance electronic noise piped in over the speaker system. Nonetheless, my son spied this razor in amongst a bunch of junky stuff crammed onto a series of shelves. The razor was wearing a large piece of clear packing tape with a $4.00 price tag on it.

What do I have here? Is it a Gillette even though it bears no trademarks or do we have a generic knock-off? It may be a mongrel as the plate bears one serial number: B943409 and the "barrel" bears another: A897503.

Can't recall if this type razor has a handle prone to cracking but this razor is neato in that it doesn't appear to have a cracked handle, even when inspected with a magnifying glass.

Photos didn't turn out very well, requiring IPhoto adjusting because a dark thunderstorm with lightning was bearing down on me this afternoon, spoiling the light. The photos taken after cleaning were shot as the rain was tapering off. A droplet of rain appeared on the head of the razor in the first photo.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

"Before" photos, showing the razor's "wild state."

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Is this one a Gillette?

Picked up what appears to be an old silver-plated Single-Ring last Thursday while visiting our eldest son upon the birth of our second granddaughter. We were away for the whole week for the big event. Later in the week my son and I got out of the house and went to an antique mall to see what might be found in the way of vintage razors along with antiquarian book bargains. The mall was mostly a bust; full of recent European imported furniture, 1950s-1980s junk, crafty items, and Readers Digest Condensed Books. It smelled of strong potpourri froo-froo and our ears were assaulted by gicky, techno, Euro-dance electronic noise piped in over the speaker system. Nonetheless, my son spied this razor in amongst a bunch of junky stuff crammed onto a series of shelves. The razor was wearing a large piece of clear packing tape with a $4.00 price tag on it.

What do I have here? Is it a Gillette even though it bears no trademarks or do we have a generic knock-off? It may be a mongrel as the plate bears one serial number: B943409 and the "barrel" bears another: A897503.

Can't recall if this type razor has a handle prone to cracking but this razor is neato in that it doesn't appear to have a cracked handle, even when inspected with a magnifying glass.

Correct Gillette single ring. If no cracks quite a nice one. Its silver plate and the plating looks good just don't shine it too much!!
Its a great shaver and one of my favorites.
Aaron

Geez, I got it BAD!

Just got that NOS Red Imp, and today I went antiquing. I bought another straight razor! This one has on the tang:

C.V. HELJESTRAND
ESKILSTUNA

and on the other side --

N <pic of three crowns> K No 31

Fair condition, but the end pin is loose enough that the edge hits the scale too easily. I'll have to fix this one up a bit.

$12!

Last edited:
I got a Regent Tech assembly Kit!

$IMG_2813.JPG

$IMG_2812.JPG

What's that? Incorrect Gillette blade box? Yeah, I have no idea what it came from either...

I picked up a 2" W&B chisel too, but I'm not sure how long my dad will allow me to have a nicer wood chisel than he does.

Is this one a Gillette?What do I have here? Is it a Gillette even though it bears no trademarks or do we have a generic knock-off? It may be a mongrel as the plate bears one serial number: B943409 and the "barrel" bears another: A897503.
It is a mongrel! But a lovely one at that. It seems your Barrel is from 1909 and your handle is from 1911! Really quite cool IMO!

Received my order from ItalianBarber.com last night! Very pleased with all items and they threw in a bunch of samples as well... Excellent service.Love the smell of the Floid Blue.. Thanks for all of the great reviews. Also received a tube of Prorasso and 444. Can't wait to try these out..
$Floid.jpg

Acquisitions of June, so far:

At a local shop, I spotted this cologne at an affordable price: Agua de Pravia 1905.
I thought it would have a hay/fern scent like the soap Heno de Pravia (which I love). After all, it is kind of a Spanish 4711, but a little more "rounded" and sweet, very nice and fresh for the Summer. As it was very affordable, it ended up inside the bag. :blush:

proxy.php

At one of those ebay actions from Connaught Shaving, I bid for a certain boar brush: an Omega 73645 "Premium Grade Pure Bristle". Obviously, I lost. :tongue_sm

For my surprise, the next day, the brush was offered to me via ebay, as a "Second chance offer", for the value that I had bid before! :w00t:

To top it all, the brush was sent from UK at Wednesday, May 30th. Friday, June 1st, I had the postcard at my door to pick up the order at the post office. Only 2 days from UK to Portugal!! KUDOS to Paul Mayhew for his excellent service!!

Now the brush, Omega #45: it features a "Premium Grade" boar knot and a heavy, sturdy handle, capable of putting to shame some handles that I have made by Simpson or Rooney. The brush is heavy, it weights 93g, more than any other brush that I own, with one exception (a metal handled no-name brush). It's gorgeous!

The presentation box is simply luxurious, and rivals with that of my Vie-Long 2-band.

proxy.php

I think I'm gonna like this one! :thumbup1: If not, well, I can always re-knot it with a 24mm TGN Finest (and what a stunning brush it would make...)

...to be continued...

Not even in my wildest dreams I expected to find items such as these at an old Portuguese drug-store...
But...
...sometimes dreams can come true!!!!

Two NOS Filarmonicas Doble Temple: a #13 and a #14! :w00t::w00t::w00t:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I opened up the package of the Filarmonica #13: it is immaculate, just like it came out from the factory :001_tt1::001_tt1:

proxy.php

Family photo :001_tt1:

proxy.php

Later, I went to a flea market in Lisbon...

proxy.php

...ooooh, that little box seems very interesting...

proxy.php

...and inside...

proxy.php

:w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

It seems to be one of the many variations of the Gillette British Aristocrat #16 (1948-1952). The weigh (82g) seems to confirm this. How lovely she is! :001_tt1:

The box is nice outside, but a disgrace inside, full of rust. But the razor came out really nice after some cleaning. For only &#8364;4, I think I did quite good!

proxy.php

..to be continued...

Last edited:
Went to another drug-store. Spotted some funny vintage soap in the shelves. Asked for straight razors.
For my surprise, they had a couple of NOS Solingen straights! :w00t::w00t: Both are 11/16'':

proxy.php

proxy.php

An enigmatic Zenith #25, black scales...

proxy.php

Already oiled with some drops of oil...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

And a Dorko 114, white scales...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

And that's all for now! Happy happy, joy joy!!!:thumbup:

@Oversaturn

That is some really nice findings for sure (all of them) :thumbup: Congratulations.

I can't show findings like that, but I can show a few Semogue brushes (for once) :blushing:

2015HD, 820, 1470 and a prototype with black boar hair :w00t:

proxy.php

@ oversaturn: OMG, you are the luckiest man alive! That is an amazing score!!! Do all drug stores in Portugal sell straight razors? I mean, is there alot of people there that shave with straights?

So far this month I've picked up a:
All Metal Version of the Stahly Live Blade
H4 Slim Adjustable (Near-Mint)
Port Safety Razor
Half Used Pack of Blue Blades
W.J. Donovan Blue Steel Straight Razor

$June Acquisitions.jpg

Last edited:
Hello all.
Well I'm brand-new here and brand-new to safety razors, but I've just placed an order based on your advice:
Merkur 39C
Merkur 41C
Vie-long horse-hair Cachurro
Elite 8 blade sampler
Going to pick up some pre-shave/soap/balms locally today and look forward to cutting off my beard ;-)

@ oversaturn: OMG, you are the luckiest man alive! That is an amazing score!!! Do all drug stores in Portugal sell straight razors? I mean, is there alot of people there that shave with straights?

No, and no!
This is very unusual. I still can't believe I found that NOS blades, specially the Fillies!
They were waiting in the shelves probably since the 70's, 80's or so. Can you believe it?!?!?! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom