Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Art of Shaving Products

Their creams are very good. I appreciate the unscented one. The rest of their wares, meh.
    Robert
    ----------
    [SIZE="2"]Futur/GEM G-bar/'59 Fatboy/Merkur Slant
    Bolanzo/Big Ben Blue/Trig Silver Edge/Treet single
    Proraso Red, Nancy Boy (duh) and 50+ others
    and counting...[/SIZE]
    ----------
    [B][I]"It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious." [/I]-- Oscar Wilde[/B]

Images

I'm a Nancy Boy fan, damn it! (I just noticed that my post wound up below a member with the moniker "Nancy Boy"... is this a coincidence or, conspiracy?) I have sensitive skin and I genuinely like the Nancy Boy products! :o)
    Last edited by AjaxLepinski; 07-16-2012 at 07:12 PM.
    Ajax

Take your time, wave comes. Let the other guys go, catch another one Duke Kahanamoku

i find AoS products to be crap. I have tried many of their creams and soaps and they dry out the skin. they contain a large amount of SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate) which is why they lather up so fast , and SLS is a main cause of irritation in many beauty products especially if used in high levels like the AoS.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    i find AoS products to be crap. I have tried many of their creams and soaps and they dry out the skin. they contain a large amount of SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate) which is why they lather up so fast , and SLS is a main cause of irritation in many beauty products especially if used in high levels like the AoS.

Looking at their sandalwood shaving cream and soap and there is no mention of SLS. I've tried many of their products and have zero irritation on my sensitive skin. They make top quality creams and soaps, without a doubt. Love AoS.

Last week I went to the AoS store here and picked up the Sandalwood ASB. It's a wonderful balm, imo. Great scent. I can still smell it hours after I put it on. However, like others have said, it's very expensive. $40.28 for a 3.4 ounce/100ml bottle after tax.

I do plan on trying their soap very soon. Even with the price, I've heard too many good things just to pass it up.
    Last edited by blackman; 07-16-2012 at 10:27 PM.

I got some balms on sale for $25

After reading this thread, I am so going to pick some AoS Sandalwood tomorrow. The cream, not the soap...40 bucks for a puck seems too high for me! You can get 5 oz of AoS for 22 bucks!

Quote Originally Posted by The Shaver View Post
    After reading this thread, I am so going to pick some AoS Sandalwood tomorrow. The cream, not the soap...40 bucks for a puck seems too high for me! You can get 5 oz of AoS for 22 bucks!
    A puck of soap is only $26. $46 is for the puck and the AOS branded wood bowl. I am willing to bet the puck will last longer than the tub of cream.

I don't think AoS soaps are the standard 5.2 ounces. I think they're a little more than 3.

Ohhh so I would by the "refill" instead? Sounds good to me! Although I am quite unfamiliar with the whole puck thing. My niche is with the creams, but I will have an open mind

Images

You're flat out wrong. They do not contain SLS. If you don't believe me, check here
    -Nick

STEWARD TO THE SHAVING SOAP FORUM
    Have a question? We are here to help

It's not $40/puck, it's $26. There soap is awesome! You can grate it with a cheese grater and put it in any mug you want...so you wouldn't have to pay the $$$ for the wooden bowl. Any pyrex dish, coffee mug, etc would work as long as you can get your brush in it. There tubs of cream are 5 oz. (Clearly stated on the product)

Personally, I love AOS products. I use there Sandalwood soap/cream/aftershave balm & their Ocean Kelp cream, Lemon cream. Their Sandalwood soap is #1 in my den, closely followed by MWF and L'Occitane Cade soap.
    Last edited by BigBull; 07-17-2012 at 05:08 AM. Reason: product links
    BOTOC - 2011 R41, PMJ, SOC 2-Band/Boar fan club; Noob Straight User.

Where did you get that information? It's certainly not on any of the labels.
    - Lucas

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BigBull View Post
    It's not $40/puck, it's $26. There soap is awesome! You can grate it with a cheese grater and put it in any mug you want...so you wouldn't have to pay the $$$ for the wooden bowl. Any pyrex dish, coffee mug, etc would work as long as you can get your brush in it. There tubs of cream are 5 oz. (Clearly stated on the product)

Personally, I love AOS products. I use there Sandalwood soap/cream/aftershave balm & their Ocean Kelp cream, Lemon cream. Their Sandalwood soap is #1 in my den, closely followed by MWF and L'Occitane Cade soap.
    They retail for $26, but they can be had for $15-18 per puck several times a year during sales. I have several soaps that aren't much cheaper that don't perform nearly as well (I'm looking at you MWF). Not a bad deal really.

Quote Originally Posted by lt114 View Post
    Nor on their site.

Quote Originally Posted by vegaskid74 View Post
    They retail for $26, but they can be had for $15-18 per puck several times a year during sales. I have several soaps that aren't much cheaper that don't perform nearly as well (I'm looking at you MWF). Not a bad deal really.
    You are correct. I tend to wait for the sales. Even MWF can be had for around $12 if you look around on certain vendors sites. If you want a $12 puck, you CAN'T beat L'Occitane Cade. BTW, these are my top 3.

Images

Anyone tried the Aftershave Gel ?? I didn't care for the balm. I used half of a bottle before giving it up because I loved the fragrance (sandalwood) so much, but it burned my skin for a good 45 minutes after application. I'd like to try the gel but don't want to waste my money.

Quote Originally Posted by bobfarvour View Post
    Anyone tried the Aftershave Gel ?? I didn't care for the balm. I used half of a bottle before giving it up because I loved the fragrance (sandalwood) so much, but it burned my skin for a good 45 minutes after application. I'd like to try the gel but don't want to waste my money.
    Can you go into a store? I use their balm for its moisturizing properties (it's the only lotion I use)...but, I did get a chance to "try" their gel from the "tester" bottle in the store and found I liked it very much. It didn't have the lotion feel, having dried up nicely on my head and face. Yes, I coated the whole noggin! It would be worth a visit if you have a local store.

Quote Originally Posted by lt114 View Post
    Just because The label doesn't mention it doesn't mean it doesn't contain it. Have you ever tried their AS balms? It doesn't say that it contains alcohol, but if you use it you'll see it has the alcohol sting to it. I find AoS to be overpriced crap as i stated before. even with their advertising... Look at their shaving cream tubs, It is so much bigger than it contains the cream in it. I find AoS company to be awful, and that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by Doctor; 07-17-2012 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobfarvour View Post

I have tried the Lemon gel after Lemon soap, the lemony blast is fantastic!!

Unscented gel after the Lavender soap, its very good too, no fragrance obviously but very comforting none the less.

Sandalwood gel today after a Sandalwood shave, followed by Jaipur Fraicheur (your question prompted me) MY Goodness, WOWEEE

I 'm going to use Sandalwood more often like year round haha.

Fortunately I don't have sensitive skin