What's new

The Art of Shaving Products

Their soaps are top-notch and they still contain tallow. Other high-end soap manufacturers have moved away from tallow (Penhaligons - I'm looking at you). The soaps are the only products of theirs I've purchased and they're absolute favorites of mine.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Some of the best available soaps and creams you can buy commercially.

Do sign up for the coupons they can provide some very nice savings quite regularly, buy the pucks without the bowl if you're getting the soap, don't waste any money on the oils and balms and ridiculously priced hardware, and try to speak to the sales staff as little as is humanly possible while you are in their shop.

I have the sandalwood soap and kelp cream, love both. Great scents and fantastic latherers. Would never buy a brush there, but can stomach the higher price for the creams and soaps as they are real good.

The sandalwood scent is honestly the best out there. Their creams are good, but I'm not really a cream guy. Their soaps are top notch, worth every penny in my opinion

They have some of the best scents,... as AOS sandalwood and lavender, are among the best in their scent classes,... and they are top notch creams as far as performance goes, you should really enjoy, what a great gift

We recently had an AOS open in our local mall (took long enough...this is only the world headquarters of P&G) and wasn't able to walk out without a tub of Ocean Kelp cream. I've since found myself having a hard time using some of my old favorites. I can't get enough of the stuff...it's that good.

Does anybody use the Art of Shaving soap and/or creams. My girlfriend purchased me some of the shaving cream. Wondering if anybody likes or dislikes it.
Quite a few on both sides. Don't overlook the soaps and creams subfora. Keep in mind that these are very YMMV matters and whether or not others like or dislike any given product isn't necessarily relevant to you. First hand experience is your best bet for determining what's best suited to you. Also keep in mind that words such as "best", "expensive", etc are all subjective no matter what the topic.

AOS's soaps are among my favorites. Again, YMMV.

Last edited:
AOS has a "Mall Niche" thus the high prices that go along with high rents in major Malls. The mall is a great place for impulse buying as well.

People seem to like some of their products but rail against cost. Some of the military PX,BX,MCX stores carry the AOS line. There seems to be a slight discount plus no sales tax. If you know somebody in the military or retiree, they may be able to save you a few bucks.

I love their products despite them being expensive, but a little goes a long way! Their lavender and sandalwood scents are amazing!

Sign up for their "Brotherhood" program and they send out coupons for 20% to 40% off.

This is the time to buy!
I've been on this list for some time. I have not rec'd a 20% off in what seems forever. Mostly it is a free shipping thing, but living within 10 min of one of their stores, not really inducing me to buy something.

A few weeks ago I got back to Florida after living in San Francisco for a while. While I was in San Fran, I dropped by the Art of Shaving store downtown. I picked up a sample of a bunch of their products. I really loved everything I tried. I particularly loved their preshave oil. That stuff is awesome. You really can't go wrong with anything they sell IMO... though it is a tad pricey. :001_rolle
If you're in Jacksonville they have one at the St. Johns Town Center.

There's something to be said about a brick and mortar that sells quality creams and soaps like AOS, despite being too overpriced. One day I really wanted to get some Ocean Kelp cream, so I went to the mall and got it! Sure its overpriced, but if it was something that any of the great online vendors, I'd probably add extra goodies to reach the free shipping threshold and end up spending more (not that there's anything wrong with a big box of goodies).

I'm going to the Dadeland store tonight. I already called over and they have NO samples available. I guess I'll just bite the bullet and get the lavender travel kit.

I've used the lemon version and didn't care for it quite frankly. My skin can be oily but perhaps it is more sensitive than it is oily.

Besides it gives me the chance to flirt with girl there and the one at the Tumi store. Then there is the Apple store to play with their stuff. All these stores are right near each other lol.

Last edited:
I started using their stuff when I started taking up the straight razor a year and a half ago. They taught me how to use a shaving brush and cream. Very high quality stuff. I eventually started experimenting with less expensive products with the same results. I only recently got better aftershave balm (St. Charles Sahara and Nivea Sensitive). A while ago I found better shave soap (Mitchells Lavender and Castle Forbes). Haven't found a better badger brush yet, though :) And thanks to my obsession with DE razors, I found great razors :)

I think they are terrific products, but I can't justify their price when I can get equivalent products at lower cost.

After failing multiple times with Col Conk soap, I had switched to creams. One of my favorites is AoS Lavender so I bought the soap to uberlather. Before going for the combo, I thought I'd try out the soap solo and all I can say is I just had my best shave yet. Loaded for about 30 sec, face lathered, and have to say it produced a thick, slick, creamy goodness superior to any cream I've yet used. I'm not sure if I have been leaving a bit too much water in my brush when bowl lathering or just discovered that I like a thicker lather. More experimentation is in order. Maybe I'll end up as a soap guy?

The scent was a little more understated than the cream, but it still released a nice lavender smell under my schnoz. Great product, great shave!

The soaps are the best!

I got a few of the Aftershave Gels on this current sale and my o my the Lemon burst from the Lemon Gel is spectacular!

Great combo with the Lemon Soap. and it needs no superlather, it can do that on its own:lol:

Top Bottom