What's new

Getting soap samples - your top 10 soaps and where to get samples?

I have always wet shaved, but have been using disposables (too many years to count). I started using disposables when the white Bics came out. They were great, really sharp and I could get 4-5 shaves out of one. Plus, I was working then and always in a hurry shaving every morning, endlessly nicking myself. I hated going to work with tissue paper stuck all over my face to stop the weepers!

For the past few years, it appears that Bic only has the 'sensitive' disposable available. They are awful, and getting worse. I had to scrape and scrape, even with a brand new stick, almost always nicking myself during the scraping. The disposables had to go!

I have rediscovered the Gilette adjustables, and have picked up a few. I am going through blade samples, latest being Bic! Got a pretty good shave with the Bic blade last night, and I will see how the blade holds up for 2-3-4 shaves.

I am now retired, and leisurely shave in the shower in the evening. I didn't need a mirror with the disposables, they were so dull. I have bought a non-fog mirror to use. Now that I have a really sharp DE, I need to see what I am doing.

Now I need soap samples. So far, I have used a tub of Edwin Jagger Aloe, which I really liked. I have a puck of Williams, $1 from the dollar store, ok, but what a great price! The Williams will not be my EDS. I now am trying a tub of Wilkinson Sword blue tub. It lathers great and I like it.

So, what soap should I try next, and how can I get samples? I don't want to go through a whole puck or tub just to see if I like something. I am open to any suggestions. I would like to get samples of the 'Top Ten', whatever they are, so let me know what your top 3-4 are. I would like to get the samples all from one source to minimize shipping costs.

What are your suggestions to try and sources?

Mitch
(sempra)

Gary's always has a nice selection of samples, Mama Bears also sells samples through their website, and the Shave Den has a decent selection of samples on their site as well

Gary's is closed for the month of June. I'll check back with him in July.

I want to stick with commercial brands, I may try Mama Bears and Shave Den later.

Mitch
(sempra)

Last edited:
Soap samples are a little hard to come by. Most samples available are creams. As cited above, Garry's has several soaps but not many. The Shave Den has soap samples of its own soaps. But some of the makers offer samples. Mystic Water does, apparently Mama Bears does, Queen Charlotte Soaps does. Keep your eye on B/S/T for someone wishing to sell used pucks. The "big ten" by-in-large do not offer soap samples. If it is the scent you want to test, then there are many people offering sample sizes of edt and creams.

The Shave Den has samples of commercial products like TOBS, Truefitt, and Trumper. Plus lots of others you not have heard of but are still name brand and not artisan soaps.

I can really recommend Calani. You can order their samples at their own site and the samplesizes are big.

If it is the scent you want to test, then there are many people offering sample sizes of edt and creams.

Thanks for mentioning that John. I'm looking to take my first step into the brush lathering world but the challenge of finding scents I'll like seems daunting. Spending a small fortune on a cabinet full of products that are barely used because I don't like the scent seemed inevitable. I just heard about Gary's in another thread and noticed his soap selection wasn't as extensive as his creams. It didn't occur to me to sample the scent separate from the soap or cream.

Thanks for mentioning that John. I'm looking to take my first step into the brush lathering world but the challenge of finding scents I'll like seems daunting. Spending a small fortune on a cabinet full of products that are barely used because I don't like the scent seemed inevitable. I just heard about Gary's in another thread and noticed his soap selection wasn't as extensive as his creams. It didn't occur to me to sample the scent separate from the soap or cream.

In my limited experience, think you will find that the soap scents will not be as strong as those in creams and edts. Nonetheless, think they will be true enough to give you a good idea. Having said that, many soaps do not have any cream or edt counterpart; and some that do have been said to be different. For instance, there is no Michaels Wool Fat cream. And not sure which of the Tabac products the Tabac soap smells like. But it is a place to start!

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Shoeboxshaveshop also has samples, and you can also order samples from Mike's Natural Soaps. Garry's sample shop probably has the most comprehensive set of samples, though.

As far as which ones to try:
Proraso Green
TOBS (pick a couple with scent descriptions you like)
Cella
Tabac

Don't forget Mike's Natural Soaps. His samples are very reasonable, customer service is outstanding. Mike makes a great soap that I personally enjoy very much, makes my face feel great. All of his soaps are the same ingredients with a variety of fragrance oils, essential oils or just plain soap. Don't think that you will be disappointed.

Don't forget Mike's Natural Soaps. His samples are very reasonable, customer service is outstanding. Mike makes a great soap that I personally enjoy very much, makes my face feel great. All of his soaps are the same ingredients with a variety of fragrance oils, essential oils or just plain soap. Don't think that you will be disappointed.
Mike's is the bomb!!!

I've got too much soap and cream. Pm me if you're interested in buying some samples
ive got
soap: proraso green, Tabac, AOS sandalwood, haslinger coconut, col conk bay rum, cella, Razorock cacao, mystic water coconut, VDH, VDH deluxe, VDH luxury, Razorock caprician lemon, Razorock nonno michelino sandalwood, Vito's extra specia.
Also I have about 14 different mama bears samples

Creams: AOS sandalwood, TOBS sandalwood, c.o. Bigelow, TOBS almond.
I think there are more but I've got stuff packed up as I just moved.

Last edited:
Soap samples are a little hard to come by. Most samples available are creams. As cited above, Garry's has several soaps but not many. The Shave Den has soap samples of its own soaps. But some of the makers offer samples. Mystic Water does, apparently Mama Bears does, Queen Charlotte Soaps does. Keep your eye on B/S/T for someone wishing to sell used pucks. The "big ten" by-in-large do not offer soap samples. If it is the scent you want to test, then there are many people offering sample sizes of edt and creams.

Connaught offers samples of DR Harris and TOBS creams but no samples of soaps unfortunately. I see that others have posted some options for soap samples. Be sure to remember that some samples come in little fragments that are hard to lather while others are grated so you can make your own little puck.

Last edited:
QCS, Mike's Naturals, and Mama Bear's all sell samples of their soaps on their sites. and all are cheap and awesome! here are some of my favorites. i am terrible at describing scents, so bear with me:

QCS Hanami - floral and sweet. the description from the site that you're reminded of "sipping tea in a japanese cherry garden" is accurate.
QCS Green Irish Tweed - this smells somewhat different from the cologne that it models (GIT by Creed), in a great way - a little more green and herbaceous. incredibly enjoyable scent for a shave, perfectly masculine.
QCS Rose Otto - one of the best rose scents I have ever encountered, absolutely incredible.
Mike's Naturals Barbershop - fantastic masculine scent, think of Old Spice with a less woodsiness and more soapiness.
Mike's Naturals Orange/Cedarwood/Peppercorn - WOW! I was stunned by how amazing this scent is. i thought that the cedar/pepper notes would bother me, but the orange is the major player here, while the supporting notes take an appropriate backseat. this is a CITRUS scent all day, and it's beautiful. it's like the scruffy, lovable big brother to DR Harris Arlington, and if you like orange scents you will love this.

i haven't sampled any soaps from Mama Bear's but i did order the winter aftershave milk, custom scented Dublin Tweed, and it's REALLY nice all-around, one of the best investments i've ever made in a shaving related product for sure. people consistently rave about Mama Bear's so give them a shot too if you're looking to order some samples.

these 3 artisans absolutely, definitely, without question make very high-quality soaps and they are going to make the top-10 lists of many people on this forum, i promise you that. that said, here are some other recommendations for great performers that you should sample:

MWF, hands-down, far and away the most effective lather i've ever experienced.
DR Harris, just brilliant
Tabac, a little tricky to lather for me, but an incredible performer when done right
Proraso new formula, ridiculously easy to lather and an absolute monster in every way, Italian soft soaps are great.

Top Bottom