What's new

Tired of bleeding every time I shave with a blade

I'm new to the forum, and what drove me to this site was that after approximately 26 years of shaving, I'm fed up with razor burn and nicks, particularly on my neck.

My routine is to shave on Sunday morning with my father's old Gilette DE razor that's got a black handle (a Speedline I think), and use an electric shaver M-Th. I let my face rest on Friday and Saturday. My elec. shaver can only keep up with things for a few days anyway before I have to shave with a razor to get everything. It would seem that the Norelco can't handle the hair on my neck, and after a few days it looks like I'm a poor groomer because it's hit and miss on my neck. I would like to shave with a razor every day because it looks better, but the nicks are too numerous, even with those multiple blade Schicks that are way too expensive in my opinion.

If given choice, I'd use a blade every day, and my beard grows slow enough and it's light enough in color that I can get away with shaving every other day, but when it does come in, it's tough and wiry. I've decided to ditch the electric shaver and make a concerted effort to make shaving a pleasure (and not a dreaded chore to be avoided until my wife or my boss says something), so I popped in a new Gilette DE blade that I bought in bulk a few years ago, and I was surprised to find that it didn't feel like a new blade. Are there different qualities in blades, and do they have a limited shelf life?

Also, with the above information, would I be well-advised to buy a new razor? My father's razor is old, and in the last few days I've learned that new DE razors are still made, but there are so many on the market as to be overwhelming. Is there an industry standard? Lastly, I've read about shaving cream and was wondering, is that the same as the soap used to make lather with a brush?

Thanks much in advance for any and all assistance.

EDIT: found the Wiki on the cream/soap question.

Tulip

first of all welcome to B&B

Imho you should not ditch the old super speed yet the new models are not always better then the one you have now . you have an excellent starter razor all you need to do is look around this site for a while you will learn many tricks of the trade . DO not use any pressure take your time when you shave until you get the hang of it . take a shower before the shave to make sure that your beard has softened . there are many things you can do just give it some time

Nick

Do not give up, the process takes time, just be patient with yourself, and as others have said and will say, use no pressure and let the blade and razor do the work. You almost have to think of using negative pressure, so light you think you're not accomplishing anything, and that will give you the right feel. Remember that you're not trying to completely eliminate your beard with one pass, you just reduce the stubble bit by bit with each pass, it takes at least 3 passes at first.

Stick with your SuperSpeed, IMO it's better than many of the new razors out there. But do buy some new DE blades, sounds like you're using old ones and who knows, if they're a few years old they may have become dull. Get your hands on some Derby blades if you can, or better yet order the sampler from West Coast Shaving.

Watch Mantic's videos on YouTube (run a search on his name, you'll find them, they are excellent), and do searches on specific keywords on this site: pressure, angle, preparation, etc. All the info you need is on this site, it's just a matter of uncovering it.

Good luck and don't give up!

I don't have much time into shaving with a DE ,but the soap is more to do with a no blood shave then I could have ever guessed, MWF is a great starting point IMHO

Blades do indeed make a huge difference. No shave gives me an irritation, ingrown free shave like derby extras. No other blade worked for me. I finally have found the blade I fell in love with!

Get a sampler pack, its worth it!

I'm new to the forum, and what drove me to this site was that after approximately 26 years of shaving, I'm fed up with razor burn and nicks, particularly on my neck.

My routine is to shave on Sunday morning with my father's old Gilette DE razor that's got a black handle (a Speedline I think), and use an electric shaver M-Th. I let my face rest on Friday and Saturday. My elec. shaver can only keep up with things for a few days anyway before I have to shave with a razor to get everything. It would seem that the Norelco can't handle the hair on my neck, and after a few days it looks like I'm a poor groomer because it's hit and miss on my neck. I would like to shave with a razor every day because it looks better, but the nicks are too numerous, even with those multiple blade Schicks that are way too expensive in my opinion.

If given choice, I'd use a blade every day, and my beard grows slow enough and it's light enough in color that I can get away with shaving every other day, but when it does come in, it's tough and wiry. I've decided to ditch the electric shaver and make a concerted effort to make shaving a pleasure (and not a dreaded chore to be avoided until my wife or my boss says something), so I popped in a new Gilette DE blade that I bought in bulk a few years ago, and I was surprised to find that it didn't feel like a new blade. Are there different qualities in blades, and do they have a limited shelf life?

Also, with the above information, would I be well-advised to buy a new razor? My father's razor is old, and in the last few days I've learned that new DE razors are still made, but there are so many on the market as to be overwhelming. Is there an industry standard? Lastly, I've read about shaving cream and was wondering, is that the same as the soap used to make lather with a brush?

Thanks much in advance for any and all assistance.

EDIT: found the Wiki on the cream/soap question.

Hi Tulip & welcome.

Im fairly new to DE shaving myself and opted for the Merkur HD to start.

Also like you my beard grows slowly and is light enough to get away with shaving every other day, although I do shave everyday as I find the slightest amount of stubble on my face makes me feel uncomfortable and then I don't shave on a Saturday or Sunday (at least one day a week).

Iv'e stopped using my Merkur blades for the time being and now use either Wilkinson Sword or Dorko blades which I find give me a closer, smoother shave.

Make sure you really take time with your pre-shave set up, I dont shower before shaving and use a facial wash to prime my face, also I use soaps more than creams now and lather direct to my face for the most part (not that this makes much difference, but use what works best for you).

Practice, practice, practice, take it slowly and remember to keep the area you are shaving well lathered.

Good luck & enjoy th experience.

Kind regards
NIGEL

Many thanks for the responses and welcomes.

The reason for my painful shave yesterday--after inspecting my razor last night before bed--was that I had two blades that were somehow stuck together in the razor, and they were slightly offset. I now know to wear my glasses before I install a new blade.

Secondly, I've been using electric for so long that I do tend to force the blade into my face. I appreciate the tip to keep it light. That, and along with proper angle and a lack of appropriate accouterments, are likely the reason for painful shaves in the past.

I'm currently using Williams soap because that was all that was available in town, and I ordered lavender and mint/rosemary soaps from Mama Bear yesterday. I also read yesterday in a review on Amazon.com of the Merkur Futur, that grape seed oil applied to the face prior to lathering up is a good idea, so I'll do a search here to see if I can lower the standard deviation, as it were, on that one. I'm ordering a DE blade sampler pack today.

I again appreciate the advice and look forward to a better shave tomorrow!

Top Bottom