What's new

Overpriced Hard to find Soaps that end up AMAZING you afterall

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I'm simply not going to start another Knize Ten Shaving Soap thread. They typically are very short lived and there is more than likely close to ZERO interest because the scent itself is quite polarizing and the Knize products can be difficult to source. The soap is NOT tallow.... Ingredients are....
Sodium Cocoate, Potassium Cocoate, Sodium Sterate, Potassium Stearate, Aqua(Water), Cocoamidopropyl Betaine,
Soyamide DEA, Parfum(Fragrance), Sodium Cloride, Beta-Alanine Acid, Trisodium salt, Sodium Hyroxide,
Potassium Hydroxide, Benzyl Salicylate, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Benzyl Benzoate, Coumarin,
Linalool, Limonene, Eugenol, Isoeugenol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Cinnamyl Alcohol, Cinnamat, Hydroxycitronellal,
C.I. 77891 (Titanium Dioxide)

Whhhhhhaaaaatttttt?????

I Googled and Wiki'd most of these ingredients.... many surprised me.
I will say this.......

I LOVE THIS SOAP................................... I really love Tabac, MWF, Arko, Harris, Trumper, AoS, Valobra, Palmolive................. But this Knize Ten may top them all for both scent and lather. I truly wasn't expecting this. $45 for the soap in the bowl is steep. That is a LOT of Arko...maybe 10 years worth? I am going to purchase a few refills of the Knize from Colonial Drug in Cambridge, MA because I think I may never stop using it. I contemplated a full pictorial of the unboxing, first lather with a Semogue 1438, etc etc.... I haven't had the time with travel and work as of late.....

This soap really surprised me. Seldom does this happen. I like a bargain in shaving goods but I WILL pay up for unique items.

This just in ... "there's been a run on knize ten."

NO tallow? Thought for sure that one had it.

$45 for the soap in the bowl is steep. That is a LOT of Arko...maybe 10 years worth?

What does the refill cost? Arko doesn't come in nice packaging, so it's not a fair comparison. Although I am sure you could get multiple years of Arko for the refill too. :001_tongu

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I received it from Colonial Drug Harvard Square "Dispensers to the Cultured Since 1947"

The refill is actually $35 and the Soap Bowl, an imprinted but unfinished wood bowl filled with the soap is $45. As for the scent, it reminds me of the finer notes of Knize Ten the Frag, minus the rubber/grease/gasoline/STP element ( which I strangely am drawn to in the fragrance ). The scent actually gave me a reminder of the dusty bitter dry leather bound hand colored lithographed volumes in a European library sort of turn with some light clove type spice. VERY unique. I'm sure after that description no one is flocking to buy it. It is nothing as I expected. Perhaps some action photos to follow when I get a chance. I have used my Semogue 1438 with it on the first 4 days of use. Going to try it with the semogue 1305 today. I have no Badger brushes to try it with at this time.

I am intrigued. I love the smell of old books and libraries. I will have to add the soap to the ever growing list, but at that price I think it would be a special occasion soap.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Pics .... I used the Semogue 1305 today vs the 1438 from the past several shaves with the Knize.... I prefer the 1438 with it I believe....

Attachments

• $knizereview 002.JPG
    $knizereview 002.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 506
  • $knizereview 003.JPG
    $knizereview 003.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 508
  • $knizereview 005.JPG
    $knizereview 005.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 508
  • $knizereview 009.JPG
    $knizereview 009.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 508
  • $knizereview 010.JPG
    $knizereview 010.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 506
Beautiful pics Mike. Guess I'm going to have to try this one :blush:

Did you buy it in person? If not, what is the procedure/shipping?

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I actually responded to an email from Cathy at Colonial that I received and ordered straight away from the email as a response as was suggested. I know you actually can call and place an order fromm the store itself during normal business hours. Mention that you are a B&B member and you receive FREE SHIPPING (FedEx/UPS) and they send you a BILL of which you send them a personal check for payment. Very old school! They sent along a few samples to include the Knize Ten EDT and some Castle Forbes Cedar Sandalwood Shaving cream
Beautiful pics Mike. Guess I'm going to have to try this one :blush:

Did you buy it in person? If not, what is the procedure/shipping?

Mike, this is interesting. I did notice you didn't mention MdC and Dr Selby concentrated in your comparisons. Those two have a world class lather that is unlike most others. If you're familiar with those two, how does the K10 compare to them?

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Gary...True...I have not tried these you've mentioned. I have wondered quite a bit about the MdC actually but the Knize was the one soap I have really wanted for several years. Ironically the email I sent to Cathy at Colonial concerning my desire to perhaps indulge in a puck / bowl of the K10 was perhaps 3 or 4 years old.... her response recently opened my curiosity as I have been quite minimalist for about a year now. If a reliable source of the MdC presented itself, I would indeed like to at least try it. My love affair ( albeit a short one) with Knize Ten shaving soap continues and it doesn't even bother me one bit.

Mike, this is interesting. I did notice you didn't mention MdC and Dr Selby concentrated in your comparisons. Those two have a world class lather that is unlike most others. If you're familiar with those two, how does the K10 compare to them?

Maybe someone will come forward with a comparison. Maybe I should put this stuff on my radar screen for future reference.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I have revisited quite a few threads on the Knize soap over the years and still wanted it for some ungodly reason. I'm glad it finally arrived. I find it quite unique. Not a thin lather at all....the scent WOW.... the bowl,....QUESTIONABLE at the very least. I'm NOT evangelizing this soap other than to say it exceeding my very obtuse and muted expectations.

Top Bottom