What's new

The Perfect Dopp Kit - My Take on an Age Old Question

Building the Perfect Dopp Kit.

After using an L.L. Bean hanging organizer for the last decade, I've decided I wanted to return to the more traditional travel toiletry kits. The following post documents my (ongoing) rationale and purchases to meet that end.

First of all, when I graduated in '71 from high school one of my traditional presents was a Dopp-type toiletry travel kit. It was constructed with a green nylon exterior and and had a lighter color waterproof interior lining. It served me well until '00 when my wife convinced me to buy the L.L. Bean kit. http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/73883?feat=personal%20organizer-SR0 I've never really took a shine to the L.L. Bean organizer. Sure, it worked, but just never clicked with me. Of course, when I got the new organizer, I trashed the old kit.

The wife and I are taking a two week vacation in Northern Minnesota this year, spending a week each at two different lakes in cabins. I decided I'd had enough of using something I didn't like. Time to build a new kit that was perfect for my needs.

First, the kit itself. I really like the look and idea of the roll-up military style kits. http://www.westcoastshaving.com/DR-Harris-Leather-Military-Wash-Pack-Tan_p_640.html Problem is, after reading the various reviews of the various kinds available, they didn't seem to be a good fit for what I was looking for. I want to carry a decent selection of grooming supplies without the kit being overly large or bulky. I kept coming back to the memories of that old nylon kit. But... no nylon for me now, I want real leather. After searching for quite some time on the 'net and eBay, this is what I ended up with: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AFQYG0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00, a Dopp-branded kit in leather. I haven't actually traveled with it yet, but initial impressions are favorable. The only negative I would say so far is that the zipper only has a tab on one end so zipping it closed is a little more difficult than it could be. (No tab to hold onto while pulling the zipper tab.) Only time will tell if this continues to be another more than an minor irritant.

Next: the shaving supplies. (This is Badger and Blade after all!)
Razor: I had originally thought I'd use a Gillette Tech, likely one of the various short-handled Travel versions. However, buying an Old-type OC for OC March showed me just how much I like the various open comb vintage Gillettes. I've come to depend on one of the various NEWs as my daily razors. After several months and a few purchases, using both long-comb and short-comb versions, I've settled on a short-comb NEW Norfolk as my choice for a travel razor. Slightly shorter bar handle than normal with the NEW open-comb aggressiveness I'm looking for. Should I get a case for it? That's still open but it'll work without one for now.
Blades: no real choice. Feathers and Astra Super Platinums. They are stored in a vintage blade bank. Used blades can go back into the bank for storage until my return home. Of course, I could pick up a second one just the used blades!
Shaving Soap: no desire to use my regular creams or hard soaps since I don't want to mess with taking a bowl for building lather. That really only leaves soap sticks and face lathering. I love the smell and performance of Tabac cream, so I picked up a stick of Tabac. After four or five uses, I find it's not quite as slick as the cream, but the convenience outweighs the (slight) loss in performance of the cream. It's possible that more use will allow me to find the sweet spot that duplicates the slickness of the cream, but it's not enough of a negative to offset my fondness for the scent. So, into the Dopp it goes.
Brush: I don't have much choice with what I had. A Rooney 3/1 Pure Badger or an Omega 49 Pro in Boar were my only two brushes owned. The Omega is too big for what I envision. The Rooney probably would do nicely, but this is an opportunity to outfit the kit with dedicated stuff. And we all like buying new stuff, right? So, what to get? I solicited the advice ofthe B&B brethern in a thread about travel brushes. There were a LOT of recommendations for a Simpson Wee Scot and I admit... I had considered this particular brush on several occasions previously. However one poster recommended an Omega 11047 Mixed Boar and Badger brush. A little investigation showed it to have the nickname “MightyMidget”. I was intrigued. WCS is selling them for $13. For that price, I can get three for the same price as the Wee Scot. And, with the boar it struck me as a better choice than the badger for face lathering. So, an order to WCS had one on the way. I've had it now for a couple weeks and have added it to my rotation, and it seems to be performing very well. In fact, I like it well enough that now I'm seriously considering the 599 Silvertip version. I'll be checking with my local pharmacist to see if I can get a pill bottle to fit it. If not, there are a couple travel tubes that look like they'd be good fits for it.
Witch Hazel: T.N. Dickenson, as always: I've got a couple ounces already to go in a screw-top travel bottle.
Aftershave: I have the sample pack from Ogalalla. Five different Bay Rums in 2 ounce plastic bottles. I'm most partial to the straight Bay Rum at the moment. If I use that up completely, I'll dump in some Captain's Choice and be perfectly happy. Having said that, in my WCS order for the Omega 47, I also picked up a 50ml bottle of Original Shulton Old Spice Aftershave. (Regardless of what others may think, to my nose there isa difference!) I'm thinking I'll throw that in the kit just to offer a change in pace from the BR.

HairCare:
Shampoo & Conditioner: the wife and I tried one of the shampoo & conditioner bars a few months back. I preferred my regular stuff, but it worked well enough. I'll most likely have one of these in a travel soap container in the Dopp kit soon.
Brush: I haven't used a comb in decades. What I have used is a Vidal Sassoon bristle brush I've had, literally, since the 1980s. It's worked on any hair length I've had during that time, from long hair (pony-tail in the 90's) to short hair (buzz cut now). I am assuming it's Boar bristles, but at this point have no clue for sure. It's a 'handled' brush. A handleless brush would take up less room right? And, again, this is the chance to buy new stuff. Kent brushes has one of their military brushes on the 'bay for under $20. Supposedly minor blemishes on the handle back. I have no intention of spending upwards of $100 on a hair brush, and even at $20, I'm leery of buying something I may not like and therefore would not use. So, some more checking online (I LOVE the internet) showed Sally's Beauty Supply has their versions of military hair brushes on sale, 2 for $3. I stopped by last weekend and picked up one of each type, more to try the size and shape than any real expectation the brush(s) would be what I'm actually going to want long-term. I have to say, for $1.50, they aren't too bad. More importantly I've found I don'thave any problem losing the handle as compared to my old VS brush. I also find I prefer the oval shape to the square version. There just may be a Kent show up before we leave!
Can you get a tube of Brylcreem in a travel size? If not, I'll have to go with the full size version I guess.

Deodorant will undoubtedly be a small size Old Spice original scent version.
Q-Tips: I have a small travel container that I refill as needed.
Toothbrush/ Toothpaste: I've got a handful of new, unsed brushes from the last five years or so dentist visits given as freebies. No problem there (but if anyone has a suggestion for a top-of-the-line old-fashioned toothbrush, I'm always listening). I can't find my flavor of toothpaste in the little travel size versions, so I'll just have to make do with the smallest available size they have.
Floss: regular container will do nicely, although, again, freebie packs from the dentist has given me a handful of smaller, trial-size versions to choose from if so desired.
Mouthwash: like the witch hazel above, I have a selection of plastic travel bottles to use of various sizes so this is just a matter of deciding which size to use.
Shower Soap: just my normal soap in a travel container will do.
Call me strange for this one if you want: I always have a small supply of toilet paper folded up in a zip-lok bag for emergencies. It's handy for it's intended use if required but also can be used as tissues, for stopping nicks during shaving, etc.
Prescription medications. Since this is a car trip, not a flight, I'll have all my daily meds pre-dispensed in the reminder containers. I always pack 10% more than needed for the anticpated length of trip, again “JIC”.
Other supplies that I typically take include single-dose-pack aspirin, anti-diarrhea medications in blister packs, Prilosec OTC also in blister packs, and a few assorted bandaids. These are all packed into an Altoids tin.
Nail Clippers: small Revlon version I've had for years.
Tweezers/toothpick/scissors/nailfile/knife: Victorinox “Classic” or Wenger “Esquire” genuine Swiss Army Knife – red handle, of course.

There you have it. My opinions and as always YMMV.
Thoughts? Comments? What do you have in your kits that you consider essential(s) that I've overlooked?

Last edited:
Nice looking bag. I used a traditional style nylon kit for years, until I decided to start replacing a lot of my things with very high quality leather products (my new dopp kit, Red Wing boots, Saddleback stuff, etc.). There's something about leather. I went with this for my dopp kit:
proxy.php

I picked it up at a Bass Pro store of all places, but it's also available online. It's part of their Bob Timberlake collection-very high quality oiled leather, very roomy, with a section on bottom for larger items, pill bottles, etc. The price came in under $50. This feels like a much more expensive piece.

As to what to fill it with, that's very much one's personal preference. In addition to the items you note, I might also include a small sewing/mending kit, a few Benadryl capsules should you have some sort of allergic reaction to something while travelling, and a small eyeglass repair kit if you wear glasses. I also keep a $100 bill in mine along with a Visa gift card I've loaded with $250 in the bag at all times-I know they're always there if for some reason I lose my wallet or have it liberated from me by a nefarious sort while travelling. I've made a small secret pocket in the lining to house the cash and prepaid Visa card. Just my personal preference. YMMV.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Great thread! Moondancer, you've given a very descriptive narrative of your selection process.... and the Bass Pro Shops Timberlake leather dopp kit shown by camjr, Brilliant!

camjr, the Timberlake leather was actually my first choice until I stumbled across the Dopp. The zippered base appealed to me, but in the end, as with most things, YMMV kicked in and I opted for (realistically) one with the "Dopp" name on it.
Benadryl is a good idea. I have pondered the cash idea and will probably do that as well once we actually head out. The wife will have a small sewing kit in her stuff. I have a spare pair of reading glasses in my Expedition Versapak. (I've got that set up as a mini-GHB.)

Great post, Moon. We need working hyperlinks, though! I love the look of a Harris military roll-up. What turned you off of it?

Vlad, in my browser, Chrome, the links are active. My formatting turned them into black text without the usual underlining. I've corrected that now, thanks.
The reviews I read on the roll-ups said that for they had a difficult time getting much stuff actually in the kits while being able to actually roll them. I'm a fan of the minimalist approach, normally, but for what I'm going for here I want enough room to carry everything I want, not necessarily just what I need.

Top Bottom