What's new

Fatip Grande

Well got my first open comb, bought this on a whim and thought I would give it a go. Reading that it was quite aggressive being an old R41 head? I was a bit apprehensive going into the first shave, loaded up with a fresh Astra sp and did all my prep. Used castle Forbes lime for cream. What a shave, dare I say it maybe the best shave I've had. Three passes to BBS with no touch ups, weepers or any irritation. Usually I get some irritation on my neck either side of my adams apple. Anyway just thought I'd share my findings, thinking I really like open combs. Next stop R41 :ohmy:.

Last edited:
How do?

All I have to say is:- Get the R41.
Get the R41. Get the R41. It is an amazing razor!

Is the Fatip well made?
Does it come in a nice box?
What weight is it?
Got any pictures to post?

Last edited:
Awesome and congrats on such a nice Razor, from what i understand those Fatips are made from Brass not like some new razor that are made with cheap material, that razor is something you can pass on to your kids :eek:)

Next pay day = R41 :wink2:

Ive not got any pictures of it will try take some but need to wait till I'm on the pc to upload them.

Finnish wise it's not bad, it's the nickel version I got. My other razors are gillettes, Edwin Jagger, and Merkur Futur I'd say the Finnish is a bit bellow them. Maybe the chrome version is a bit better finished? On one of the pegs that holds the head I can see brass where there is a small patch that's not plated. I'm not really bothered about this as it wasn't that expensive and after the shave I had with it it's a keeper! Will need to get a chrome version now as a spare :tongue_sm

The box is quite a basic blue and white affair nothing fancy. The razor is by no means a heavyweight I think it's around 65gms
i think the fatip piccolo is listed as heavier but saying as I have big hands and find the grande fairly small I don't think it would work well for me. Travel razor?:001_smile

Last edited:
The razor is by no means a heavyweight I think it's around 65gms
i thing the fatip piccolo is listed as heavier but saying as I have big hands and find the grande fairly small I don't think it would work well for me. Travel razor?:001_smile

I have found that the Tradere handle at around 73g adds significant weight and heft to the Fatip. Others here have mated the head with the Ikon Bulldog handle (68g) and claim that they found it better as well.

Does it come in a nice box?
What weight is it?

Just a cheap blue and white cardboard box.

The Fatip Grande weighs in at 64.5g. The handle is 35.5g and the head is 29g. The Piccolo is heavier despite being shorter and the same head but the handle is solid and smaller whereas the Grande has a hollow handle.

Other than the Tradere, the Fatip is my absolute fav razor. Its a great one for the price. Until my Tradere head came in the mail, I was using the Fatip head on the Tradere handle. One word to describe the Fatip...SMOOTH.

I really love my Fatip... I use my with the ikon Bull Dog handle and it is a nearly perfrct razor for my face.... That, along with the R41 are my most used razors...

I have found that the Tradere handle at around 73g adds significant weight and heft to the Fatip. Others here have mated the head with the Ikon Bulldog handle (68g) and claim that they found it better as well.
+1. On the Tradere handle the FaTip is just awesome.

Fancy getting a tradere or ikon handle but noticed the threads on my fatip are much smaller than my DE89, is this normal? Are the fatips threads smaller than say an R41, so what fits what? :mellow:

Last edited:
I love the old fatip design - very aggressive but gives the best shave when paired with a good sharp blade. I use mine on a bulldog handle, a great combo. $muhlebarb.jpg Pictured next to a Barbasol - another great razor IMO.

I 've got the Fatip and the New R41
The Fatip is a copy but i thing shaves one click deeper than the New R41
The R41 is a great razor but not for the Novice,it is also more expensive than the Fatip
A serious shaver must have them both.

The R41 is a great razor but not for the Novice,it is also more expensive than the Fatip
A copy? The FaTip has been around for a while.

The range of shaving angles for fatip is rather limited unlike the R41 which permits shaving angles ranging from shallow to very steep.

Fatip isn't a copy, its been around way before the R41 2011 Also from what i understand it made of brass not cheap material like the R41 2011 :eek:/

Maybe he means that the FaTip is a copy of the Old Type? It's very similar. To me the FaTip is an improvement on the Old Type because the combs are so much smoother and they are rounded perfectly.

Aside from that, I find the shave of the FaTip and the Old type very similar, and certainly the design of the FaTip drew its inspiration from the Old Type.....

Excuse me Gentleman,
Someone mentioned that Fatip is made from brass, Is that correct or Us also made from the cheap pot metal??

What is better, Fatip or the Merkur slant?

The Fatip is made of brass, no pot metal to be found in this razor!

Whats bettet a slant or the Fatip?? Only your face can decide that!! Us Fatip / Open combs guys will say the Fatip.... And all the slant fans will sing the praises of the Slant.

The Fatip is inexpensive.... I would recommend anyone that is sitting on the fence to simply buy one.... If you don't like it.... Easy to sell....

Top Bottom