What's new

Nib Acquisitions for June 2012

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Let's put all of our new gear here for the month of June.

This ought to be a big month for pics, I hope we'll all soon be getting our Edison Herald Grande LE pens!

The package yesterday but I was late leaving the office so I have yet to open the box. It was sent by the GPC and it should contain a 4.5oz bottle of Noodler's Lexington Gray, bottles of Diamine Damson and Diamine Denim, and a bottle of Sailor Epinard. Maybe I will be able to play with my new inks over the weekend...if work doesn't interfere.

I have been on an acquisition tear of late, belated from May: a transparent blue Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator with a fine nib I picked up at Fountain Pen Hospital while I was in NYC.

June my medium nib unit showed up for my Pilot Fermo vanishing point and I have a Platinum 3776 Bourigone demonstrator coming in a few weeks from John Mottishaw.

TWSBI 540, 1.1i nib

Pendleton Brown Broad Butter Line Stub with Angel Wings nib for TWSBI 530/540

Restoration of my Sheaffer Snorkel Sovereign with barrel change from cracked blue barrel to green barrel

Stubbing of my Edison Pearl LEA broad nib

Rhodia No. 18 lined pad

2 - JB's Perfect Pen Flush

2 - Lamy converter

3 - No. 16 sacs for Esterbrooks

Talc

Shellac

My weekend so far:

10x loupe

Pelikan 400 in tortoise/brown

Parker Vacumatic (golden pearl)

Sent my father-in-law's Montblanc Noblesse off to get its nib fixed.

I think I'm going to stop back at the Triangle Pen Show tomorrow and get my two new pens tweaked.

Last edited:
Here are the pens I picked up this weekend.

proxy.php

Picked these up locally at an antique store. I've been eyeing the Esterbrooks for two years now. They were kind of hidden, but he wanted $40 each for them. I got all four for less than that today. The Blue SJ has a 1551, the gray SJ has a 551, the black J has a 2668, and the red Jr. has the usual gold plated nail.

proxy.php

Today I received a small order from the Goulets.
1 Bottle Noodler's Liberty's Elysium
1 Bottle Nodler's Purple Heart
another 1.1 Stub Nib for my Safari
and a small Clairefontaine Life Unplugged Roadbook

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Here are the pens I picked up this weekend.
I imagine the nib in your "new" Pelikan 400 is pretty special. What width is it? I know I love mine, all of them, from EF to OBB!!

Picked these up locally at an antique store. I've been eyeing the Esterbrooks for two years now. They were kind of hidden, but he wanted $40 each for them. I got all four for less than that today. The Blue SJ has a 1551, the gray SJ has a 551, the black J has a 2668, and the red Jr. has the usual gold plated nail.

More nice pens -- although check closely, Sheaffer Junior nibs are not plated, they should be 14K gold (not marked) and often have some character (not nails like Lifetime nibs).

I imagine the nib in your "new" Pelikan 400 is pretty special. What width is it? I know I love mine, all of them, from EF to OBB!!

The only markings on the nib are: Pelikan/.585./14 Karat (No Logo)

It writes a bit broadly--I'd say that it's at least like contemporary M nibs. At the same time, the nib is so flexible that I get quite a bit of line variation. Also the "ball" at the tip of the nib is quite pronounced and makes it a real pleasure to write with.

So far this month I've purchased a Lamy 2000 in medium nib from ISellPens.com to keep my girlfriend from swiping my fine nibbed one. Also, from the Goulet Pen Company, a Kaweco Classic Sport "1930 Guilloche" model. Five brown ink samples rounded out the Kaweco order as I'm looking for a possible alternative to the Levenger Cocoa I normally use.

I'm also expecting a couple of pens back from repair. The first is my 1947 Parker 51 in Dove Gray with gold-filled cap and buttery smooth medium nib. The vac mechanism finally blew out after about 10 years of regular use. The second is a Sheaffer Statesman Snorkel in black and gold that I picked up at a local antique store for a song. I was pleased to find that it most likely had never been inked and that a resac and new seals were probably all it needed to get back in working order. Both pens are with Tyler Dahl right now and should be back in a few weeks.

Next up is a J-bar order for a couple of Esterbrooks (a blue SJ and blue LJ) I have on my desk that are ready to be reassembled.

Hey guys I snagged this my first vintage Parker today. Its a Royal Challenger. I have one other pen an Esterbrook dont even know where its at. I snagged it for 10 bucks hope I got a good deal. Any one know much about these? I figured I'd hit this fine site up first since its been so good to me in regards to razor collecting. Its seems like its in really good condition. As far as the internals go I have no clue and dont on plan on going there until I figure out how to service this fine instrument.

Attachments

• $IMG_0406.JPG
    $IMG_0406.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 118
  • $IMG_0407.JPG
    $IMG_0407.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 117

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Herringbone with a sword clip? Ten bucks? Good deal? Are you kidding us?

You need an eyepatch when you go looting like that! A highly sought after collector's item there, buddy. About 1937, such a cool pen.

Be careful, don't break it trying to take it apart. It's so valuable you may want to send it out to an expert. Super score of the month.

Herringbone with a sword clip? Ten bucks? Good deal? Are you kidding us?

You need an eyepatch when you go looting like that! A highly sought after collector's item there, buddy. About 1937, such a cool pen.

Be careful, don't break it trying to take it apart. It's so valuable you may want to send it out to an expert. Super score of the month.

I've been doing some digging and I am speechless almost about what I found. Just one of those right place right time kinda things. I've pretty much decided that I wont be touching it in any way. All I have to do is figure out who could get it back into working order and is trustworthy. It'd be a shame to let such a fine piece lay unused. But given its worth. Which shocked me! Going by prices I came across. It will be fixed the right way by someone who has the tools and knowhow to do so properly.

Looking at the pen. It just boggles my mind how they made things like this back then. And the quality. WOW!

Way too much stuff!

Recent pen buys are:

2 Pilot Medium 78gs (green and red)

Lamy 2000 Medium

Ohto F-Spirit w/converter

Parker Frontier Flighter SS Medium w/deluxe converter (gift for SO)

"Clipper" German Piston Fill Pen

I also bought some small Chesterfield Ink bottles (rebranded Diamine) and have Noodler's La Reine Mauve on the way.

Oh, and I have a CPlay leather pen roll case on the way too.

Just purchased a Pelikan M215 from the Goulet's with their closeout pricing.

I was looking at the Souveran line but that just turned out to be too expensive for me at this time. But I wanted to get a Pelikan before the prices went up, I figure the M215 works well enough. If I want a big honkin' pen I'll use the Herald Grande when it arrives sometime this week or next. :)

I think next on the list will be a Binderized nib for the Pelikan.

Top Bottom