What's new

1/4 hollow vs. full wedge

Is there much of a difference? After carving myself up pretty good on a very light full hollow, I decided to go for something heavier. I ordered a 1/4 hollow, but I'm wondering if I should have gone with a wedge.

Oh heck...I'm probably going to get a full wedge eventually, but was wondering if I should get it sooner or if I can wait a while with a 1/4 hollow in my collection.

Thanks

I don't know if there are any new wedges being made. Dovo may still make a 4/8 one.

I think there's a huge difference. A TRUE wedge is a unique experience. Personally, it isn't my favorite. There are a lot of old sheffield heavy grinds out there, but true wedges are few and far between in my experience.

I really do like 1/4 hollows, however. I think they are a much more reasonable, practical, and better shaving grind than a true wedge

I prefer full hollows, I have a few wedges or near wedges, don't use them as much.

I'm just the opposite. LOL

I've got a decent stable of both types.

The ones I enjoy the most are the near wedges as they aren't as noisy.

I have a full wedge...its one of those "shhh, dont tell anyone im whacking the whiskers off your face" :lol:
when I first used it..felt like a cross between a heavy blade and kamisori razor edge

It depends on what 1/4 grind you have. I have a Wacker 1/4 hollow that isn't much different than a hollow grind imo. Then if you get something like a Brain Brown 1/4 then it is much more like shaving with a wedge.

I have a 6/8 Dorko 1/4 hollow and it isnt much different than shaving with a near wedge. There aren't very many full wedges out there new or old. Almost everything that's gets called a full wedge is still a little hollow grind to it or it has so much hone wear that is has been made into a wedge. I have a Greaves near wedge that you can't tell that it has some hollow to it unless you hold a straight edge to it up to the light.

That is what I love about this hobby, I like to hear the hairs being mowed down.

Most of the the time I have hearing aids on to offset very bad high frequency hearing loss. ( THANKS Uncle Sam! :) ) The problem I have is when a full hollow is doing its job, my hearing aids pick up all that racket and it sounds like BLOODY HELL!!

I can turn 'em off and it isn't bad, but I'm so used to wearing the darn things that everything else just sounds strange. I've got several full hollows that are "singing razors" and great shavers but 9 times out of 10, I'll grab one of the "heavies".

I just got a 7/8 W&B that is darn close to full hollow. I think it's a reground blade. I'm gonna get it tuned up and give it a try hopefully this weekend. All the rest of my full hollows that I use are 6/8's and 5/8's.

Harts are about 1/4 hollow... others are also in that ball park. They sharpen easier than a full wedge (IMO). You get the same effect with them. In all, if I was to have to choose between the two, I would go for 1/4 hollow. I have a couple of wedges but, if properly prepared, it is hard to say they are different in shaving from the 1/4 hollow. Of course, the wedge (or 1/4 hollow) is a lot more silent but you can still hear and feel it. I like them. I think the 'silent' issue is what attracted me to Kamisori razors, too. Not really silent but certainly a lot quieter and they give you a comfortable feeling. I have tough whiskers on my cheek and neck and a heavier razor or Kami mows through them instead of snagging and chattering.

My Hart Steel is a pretty beefy 1/4 hollow. I can't imagine a wedge being a whole lot different (don't actually own one yet). But I am with Wullie because my Hart is my favorite shaver. I don't like the feel of the full hollow and the sound it makes is like nails on a chalk board. The heavy grinds are just silent killers.

The full hollow I shaved with was a Winchester and it was just so light and so touchy. Every whisker it cut felt like a car going over a speed bump. The other razors I have are 1/2 hollows and I like them much better, so I think I will enjoy using a 1/4 hollow. It's almost like the 1/2 hollows have shock absorbers. Terrible analogy, I know. Maybe in a couple of months I will look more carefully at wedges.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
A true wedge is a pain to hone correctly. A 1/4 hollow gives you most of the weight of the wedge but it hones just like any other hollowground.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
A truly well honed full hollow will slice though stubble just as well as a well honed wedge. My feeling is that the extra heft helps newer shavers power though the stubble, where the lighter full hollow requires a confident stroke.

Despite my "feelings" I too prefer the heavier grinds and Kamisori. More for the sensations of wedge shaving, as opposed to a better or worse shave.

I'm pretty partial to full hollows myself; I've got a quarter hollow that gives good shaves overall, but it doesn't seem to like going ATG around my jaw. I picked up a couple of big Sheffields a little while back that I believe are at least near wedges, though I'm not 100% sure about that.

A truly well honed full hollow will slice though stubble just as well as a well honed wedge. My feeling is that the extra heft helps newer shavers power though the stubble, where the lighter full hollow requires a confident stroke.

I'm not entirely convinced that it's the extra weight that helps, especially considering that it's not like your hand is moving that fast. I believe the key difference is that a full hollow flexes, and unfortunately for the inexperienced, the flex seems to be into the direction of the skin when the user doesn't quite have the technique (or sufficient edge keenness or face preparation) to get the razor to cut with ease.

I'm not entirely convinced that it's the extra weight that helps, especially considering that it's not like your hand is moving that fast. I believe the key difference is that a full hollow flexes, and unfortunately for the inexperienced, the flex seems to be into the direction of the skin when the user doesn't quite have the technique (or sufficient edge keenness or face preparation) to get the razor to cut with ease.
Ditto!

And yes, there is a whole lot of differenc between a wedge & ¼ ground blade. Both shaving & even more honing. That little extra grind makes some good difference, it is considerably thinner behind the edge, giving a much easier cut & so much easier honing experience.

i am not convinced either...

Top Bottom