What's new

Second time with Mike's Natural Lime Shave Soap!

I previously tried Mike's Natural Lime Shave Soap and it performed great, but it lacked really any fragrance. Well, Mike without hesitation contacted me and offered to send a second tin of the Lime shave soap. Well, I received it actually last Friday and thus I put the tin to my chest holding it at the middle of my sternum and then opened the lid. I could immediately and easily detect the Lime Scent without having to tilt my head and nose towards the tin. The scent is just like Lime zest and does not have that sweet candy like lime scent that you would find in a Lifesaver candy! The performance of Mike's Natural Shave Soap is outstanding as the lather is easy to build to what ever consistency you prefer. The lather is very stable and just does not break down. The lather provides a slick and protective barrier between the blade and your face creating a close and comfortable shave. One of the best attributes of Mike's Natural Shave Soaps is the moisturizing properties that he uses such as saponified kokum butter, avocado oil, shea butter, lanolin, saponified coconut oil, and vitamin E. To really take advantage of this great ingredients I have reapplied some of the excess lather to my face after I have completed my shave. I rub it in and then let it work as I clean up my shave den and equipment usually takes just a few minutes. I then do a cold water rinse and begin the process of using my alum bloc and other aftershave products. This really leaves your skin feeling soft, smooth and relaxed is how best I can describe it. For those that have not tried http://www.mikesnaturalsoaps.com please do yourself a favor and give it a try. He has several fragrances to choose from and you can order just the soap at a low cost or do like I and order it already in a nice size tin container. Give Mike a try you will be more than pleased.

I'm really looking forward to my order coming in. I ordered samples of the Barber Shop, Lime, & Orange. I ordered a full size cake of the "Natural" because I like the smell of real soap. I was sold on the lanolin. Hopefully it can give MWF a run for it's money.

.....One of the best attributes of Mike's Natural Shave Soaps is the moisturizing properties that he uses such as saponified kokum butter, avocado oil, shea butter, lanolin, saponified coconut oil, and vitamin E. .......

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but saponified coconut oil is actually one of the most drying things that can be put into a soap. Coconut oil in its unsaponified form is very moisturizing, but saponfied it forms a soap that tends to dry the skin. Now, for all I know Mike may superfat the soap and end up with a fair bit of unsaponfied coconut oil in there, and the other ingredients are definitely skin friendly, so please don't take this as a knock on Mike's soap.

I have a sample of Mike's soap and I think it is a pretty nice soap. The lather is stable, provides for a good shave, and has a nice post-shave feel. So we're basically in agreement except for the idea that saponified coconut oil is moisturizing.

Thanks for the additional info kingfisher. I went and did a search regarding coconut oil and most seem to pretty much agree with your statement.

I've been using Mike's for the last week or so, and my face feels better after a shave with it than it does with any other soap I've tried, bar none. Doesn't feel dry at all. In fact, if I were to not moisturise after a shave (I always have to, I tend to dry out and get flaky otherwise) it would be with this soap.

Kingfisher is not saying that Mike's Natural Shave Soaps are drying...he was just pointing out to me that one of the ingredients (saponified coconut oil) that I listed as a moisturizer was not a true moisturizer as it can dry the skin if it is the main ingredient. This is not the case with Mike's Shave Soap as the shave soap is very skin friendly due to the other ingredients that it contains.

Glad the scent was good for you this time mctmatt, his Lime is wonderful. Has anyone tried his Lemongrass & Eucalyptus?

Glad the scent was good for you this time mctmatt, his Lime is wonderful. Has anyone tried his Lemongrass & Eucalyptus?

Jay, I should have a bar of Lemongrass & Eucalyptus in my mailbox this afternoon :thumbup:

I'm sure we're all up to par on the performance, but I'll swing by this thread later and leave some thoughts on the scent.

Kingfisher is not saying that Mike's Natural Shave Soaps are drying...he was just pointing out to me that one of the ingredients (saponified coconut oil) that I listed as a moisturizer was not a true moisturizer as it can dry the skin if it is the main ingredient. This is not the case with Mike's Shave Soap as the shave soap is very skin friendly due to the other ingredients that it contains.

Precisely. Thanks for the clarification.

For the record, I think Mike's is a excellent soap and I do feel it has a wonderful face feel after the shave. Top notch shaving soap all the way.

I was thinking about picking some up but I can't decide between the Orange, Cedarwood, and Pepper, or the Pine and Cedarwood. I've seen many rave reviews about the scent of the orange but not too many about the pine. Anyone have any experience with the pine?

I was thinking about picking some up but I can't decide between the Orange, Cedarwood, and Pepper, or the Pine and Cedarwood. I've seen many rave reviews about the scent of the orange but not too many about the pine. Anyone have any experience with the pine?

Mike has been very good to send me not only the item that I ordered, but he has always included a free sample. I have the Rose Cedarwood and Barbershop. Go to his website and just order a few of the 1/2 ounce samples as they are just $1 and the Peppermint Rosemary is $1.25.

Have tried a sample of the pine and cedarwood and it smells just like fresh cut wood, but it is not for me. Made me think of sawdust down my collar.:w00t:

The soap is great, I really liked the way it lathered and made my face feel, cannot decide if I want to order more samples or just pull the trigger on a bar of the lime. The customer service at Mikes is A++. Good communication on my order and shipment.

Top Bottom