What's new

Anyone tried the 2 minute shave?

I'm a newbie to safety razors (having been a slave to Mach 3s for a good number of years) and recently invested in an Edwin Jagger Double Edge which i'm looking forward to using. Looking on their website i notice they've set down a challenge of a 2 minute shave. Just wander if anyones managed to acheive a regular shave in that sort of time using traditional safety razors, it seems impossible to me...although it would be great to think i could acheive a shave quicker than i could with my old Mach 3s. What sort of average times are people acheiving their shaves in (including prep etc)? thanks

As a shower shver I'm down to (inc shower) around 10 to 15mins. For me it's my time. Not for rushing, for me.

I would say I could trim it to 5 minutes. The other day I did teethbrushing, shaving, and hair combing (showered the night before) in 8 minutes, so I figure I was probably around 5 minutes. The caveats: soak the brush in a mug with Valobra soap at the bottom first thing out, so everything is softened and ready to go; and a 2 pass shave. This morning I did a three-pass shave and it added maybe 90 seconds to the routine.

As a newbie to DE shaving the last thing you should be concerned about is speed!!!! Focussing on speed is only going to end in tears and/or a blood transfusion!! Take it sloooooow to start and concentrate on prep & technique.

DE shaving is poles apart from using a Mach 3. I was a Mach 3/fusion shaver for yrs (head shaver too) and its unreal how much of a light touch is required with a DE compared to a cartridge razor. I used to press quite firmly with a fusion to get the desired level of closeness - if I tried that with my DE I'd probably sever the juggler vein! Take it easy to begin with mate or you'll soon regret it!

As a newbie to DE shaving the last thing you should be concerned about is speed!!!! Focussing on speed is only going to end in tears and/or a blood transfusion!! Take it sloooooow to start and concentrate on prep & technique.

DE shaving is poles apart from using a Mach 3. I was a Mach 3/fusion shaver for yrs (head shaver too) and its unreal how much of a light touch is required with a DE compared to a cartridge razor. I used to press quite firmly with a fusion to get the desired level of closeness - if I tried that with my DE I'd probably sever the juggler vein! Take it easy to begin with mate or you'll soon regret it!

+1 on this! On my first foray, I probably spent at least an hour. I've only gotten it down to a short time because I tend to sleep in and we have two little kids who need to be fed in the AM. Otherwise, on the weekends, I take my time and enjoy it more.

You could do a two minute shave. But you wouldn't like it! Why would you want to? Isn't the whole idea about a DE or traditional or wetshave, to get a BETTER shave and actually ENJOY it? I typically allow for 10 minutes for prep, lather, 3-pass, rinse, and finish. This is my time. Could I do it in less? Sure. Do I want to? NO!

When you read through the "time-stamped" procedure you will see it makes some huge, urealistic demands... 15 secs. to prepare face, 5 secs to load brush, 20 secs to face lather, 35 secs to shave (one pass!), 15 secs to rinse and dry, 15 secs to moisurize. Then.... "Finished. You look, feel and smell great! Have an excellent day!" YEA, RIGHT! That sounds fun.

See http://www.edwinjagger.com/minute.php for "The 2 Minute Shave".

THE 2 MINUTE SHAVE
2. 00 mins Run a basin of hot water to prepare.
1.50 mins Take a steaming flannel with perhaps a dash of your favourite cologne, fold it in half and hold it to your face for about 15 seconds (if the flannel is too hot for comfort open it for a few seconds)
1.45 mins Immerse your Edwin Jagger badger hair shaving brush in the hot water
1.30 mins Shake off excess water and dip the tip of your shaving brush into a favourite Edwin Jagger shaving cream and whip up a rich, creamy lather in your palm or shaving bowl. The shaving cream is very concentrated so only use a little for each shave.
1.25 mins Using a circular motion lather your face building up a rich layer of soft warm cleansing foam
1.05 mins Dip your razor in the hot water and, starting by the sideburns, shave with the growth of your beard. Down on the cheek area, sideways near the top and bottom lip and in the direction of the growth under the chin. With a wet soapy hand feel around the face for any missed hairs and remove with the razor.
30 secs Nearly finished.
25 secs Rinse your face with cooler clean water and gently pat dry with a soft towel.
10 secs Apply a small amount of non-greasy moisturiser or skin food to your face massaging gently into the newly shaven and exfoliated skin. Use a little aftershave lotion or fragrance if desired but be careful not to apply it to the newly shaven areas; behind the ears or further down the neck for example.
Finished You look, feel and smell great. Have an excellent day!

The 2 minute shave defeats the whole purpose of DE shaving. The world today wants us all to rush, rush, rush and it's all for nothing.
I take as long as possible and I enjoy every minute, in fact I'm in the minute, living in the here and now. When I'm in that bathroom
it's just me my razors and my shaving stuff. The world can wait until I'm done!

A gentleman never rushes as he has already taken the time to make time!

As other posters have said: it definitely can be done with decent results....but why would you want to?

Here's my method: a smooth and non-aggressive razor such as the Edwin Jagger DE86. A sharp but forgiving blade, like the Gillette Yellow or Dark Blue Platinums. A good brushless cream such as Cremo or Lucky Tiger. Hot shower, rub cream on face. Go for 2 passes and touch-ups. Maybe even one-pass, relather face, then touchups. Cold water rinse followed by a nice balm like Razorock, Proraso or Nivea Sensitive. Bingo, you're done in no time!

I've actually done this a couple of times when I was late for work. Again, it does the job, but completely defeats the purpose of wet shaving for me: enjoyment!!!!

There's really no point to it. The majority of us like taking our time but it's fun to consider.

Some activities are better when they take longer (like making love). Some activities are better when done quickly (like going to the dentist). I still don't see the point to "speed shaving." YMMV, however.

Top Bottom