What's new

Ivory Repair Question

I picked up a mixed set of three ivory handled razors in poor condition. Combined I can come up with two razors but one of the scales is broken. I was wondering what was the best adhesive to use for the repair. I finished the first one tonight and used super glue to stabilize a stress crack. Came out great. The other scale is actually broken. I was thinking I'd ask before going with more super glue.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Use gorilla glue, I find it works better then super glue
And Mdunn idea of gluing the wedge to it would be great for support but I'd do it in 2 steps make sure the superglue is fully cured first

I am pretty sure I saw somewhere that Seraphim made liners for a set of vintage ivory scales that where cracked. You might pm him about the details.

Legion

Staff member
There is actual glue made specifically for ivory repair. Museums use it. Do a google search. I can't remember what it is called off the top of my head, but that stuff is the business.

Thanks for the help guys. Looks like Epoxy is more stable than CA. I'll do a bit more homework. I honed up the Brookes & Crookes tonight. Expecting a good shave in the morning.

Last edited:
Superglue will get the job done, I've done many crack repairs on ivory with CA and it worked out fine in every case.

How? If I could ask?

It depends on where the crack is, but it is typically a fairly simple procedure. I will try to clean out the crack of any debris, I use a gap filling CA that sets up pretty quickly. Gorilla glue works fine, but it is about a medium viscosity, and it takes longer to set up, so you have to hold the repair in one position longer while the glue dries... One the glue is set, I let it cure for a while, then test function. If it doesn't hold up to some flexing or function (depending on where the crack is located), then I will have to reinforce it some other way or in some cases they just can't be repaired. If it passes muster, I will sand it all down and try to blend it in so you don't see the repair or as good as I can get it. I personally dislike ivory as a scale material because I think it is too fragile. Although I am probably jaded since all the razors that come to me need some repairs. Hope this helps.

It depends on where the crack is, but it is typically a fairly simple procedure. I will try to clean out the crack of any debris, I use a gap filling CA that sets up pretty quickly. Gorilla glue works fine, but it is about a medium viscosity, and it takes longer to set up, so you have to hold the repair in one position longer while the glue dries... One the glue is set, I let it cure for a while, then test function. If it doesn't hold up to some flexing or function (depending on where the crack is located), then I will have to reinforce it some other way or in some cases they just can't be repaired. If it passes muster, I will sand it all down and try to blend it in so you don't see the repair or as good as I can get it. I personally dislike ivory as a scale material because I think it is too fragile. Although I am probably jaded since all the razors that come to me need some repairs. Hope this helps.
Thanks, it is helpful. I was concerned about the removal of excess glue, and the final appearance after the glue has set. I have an Ivory George Butler that has a tiny, almost invisible hairline crack on the back wedge pin area. It's thin but about 3-4 mm. It would be nice if I could stabilize this without much downside, but I'm thinking just to leave it alone and observe to see if it gets worse. (my full apology for totally jacking this thread)

Thanks for the help guys. Looks like Epoxy is more stable than CA. I'll do a bit more homework. I honed up the Brookes & Crookes tonight. Expecting a good shave in the morning.

I would probably stay away from epoxy for this type of job. Takes much too long to set and is also very messy, requiring more post cure work to make it look clean.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I would sand the inner surface and glue both pieces together and to a liner at the same time. Make the liner oversize and trim it after the glue has cured. Superglue would work great but you must work FAST. Gorilla glue you need to clamp with something because it tends to expand as it sets. Trim and polish everything fair and smooth. Do the other scale too, for consistency, and so it doesn't crack later on.

For a liner, get some cream colored or ivory tone plastic or plexiglass, and thin it down by sanding flat on a sheet of wet/dry. 1/16" thick is plenty. Too thick and you might not like the overall size.

Top Bottom