What's new

Why did men stop shaving traditionally?

because cartridges and canned foam are better...

fast, convenient, safe, easy, and cheap considering not being obsessed with some AD and the sum total expenditure per year being relatively irrelevant to everything else in life. some people might even have more fun with a cartridge then a de, why not.

I feel like for people around my age (80s-90s born), there is simply a lack of knowledge. I didn't know anything about wet-shaving until I stumbled across a video in the 11th grade. Some of my friends have never seen a safety razor in their lives, and the thought of an actual blade cutting scares them tremendously because they think it'll cut sideways.

I can't answer why men have averted away from DE shaving, however I can tell you why they will convert to DE; because it affords better results. Most probably we steered away from it because of time constraints in an era when we were all looker for quick fixes and remedies. I believe that people will come back to DE shaving for the same reasons they abandoned it, as the traditional shaving renaissance demonstrates. Happy Shaving. Sam

I can't answer why men have averted away from DE shaving, however I can tell you why they will convert to DE; because it affords better results. Most probably we steered away from it because of time constraints in an era when we were all looker for quick fixes and remedies. I believe that people will come back to DE shaving for the same reasons they abandoned it, as the traditional shaving renaissance demonstrates. Happy Shaving. Sam

Good results can be achieved regardless of the type of Razor or Lather used; Good Preparation, Proper Blade Angle, Razor Pressure and a Hydrated Lather are important. Canned lather can be better hydrated by keeping your face wetter before applying with wet hands, experimenting with the water/lather ratio is necessary as when building a Brush & Soap/Cream lather for the first few times. The biggest draw back to DE/Traditional Shaving is The Theoretical Low Cost per Shave which is true if you avoid all ADs.

And riding a horse instead of walking is also being lazy by some of the posters logic. Using a gas or electric stove instead of chopping wood and cooking in a fireplace or wood cookstove is being lazy. Saying that someone who is working full time, going to school, raising a family, doing volunteer work, serving in the military etc, is lazy because they don't use the apropriate razor according to some members is preposterous.
+1

I'm not of those who say 'Sraight, DE & SE are the only real shaving methods', I'm of those who say that cartridges are too expensive for what they're procuring to me. Every time I ever used a Mach3/Fusion, after a 2 days regrownth its like someone spank my face.

Agreed! I took to this not as much out of nostalgia as much as I took to this style of shaving simply because it worked better for me. Now that I have discovered this, I find I do like the nostalgic aspect of it.

Top Bottom